The 5 Best Hip Flexor Support Braces | Plus Pain Relief Guide
Tight hip flexors are almost literally a pain in the ass. Whether you’ve pulled it, are experiencing groin pain, or its some type of sciatic issue- it can be debilitating!
I practice Krav Maga (a martial art) and frequently suffer from incredibly tight and sore hip flexors that prevent me from doing particular movements and kicks.
And, on a day-to-day basis, tight hip flexors make me far less mobile and maneuverable, particularly in the morning.
Besides practicing Yoga, one way you might be able to alleviate some of your discomfort is by using a hip flexor support brace.
Our Top Pick: The BodyMate Compression Brace
- REDUCE INJURY OR PAIN - The special design of this ortho wrap hip brace for sciatica pain relief promotes faster recovery from any kind of groin, quad, lower back, and hamstring injury as well as sciatica pain relief.
One reviewer we interviewed said that they loved this compression wrap because it helped them relieve significant sciatic nerve pain.
They were genuinely surprised at how significantly it reduced the pain they were in.
It even allowed them me to walk around again in relative comfort. Granted, they weren’t back to 100%, but they’d estimate it got them back to at least 85% while its worn.
BodyMate Video Review
About The Flexors
Bringing your knee towards your body takes a lot of work, and is done thanks to the help of your Hip Flexor muscles. This group of muscles and ligaments can become torn or strained, resulting in pain and loss of movement (Source).
What The BodyMate Looks Like:
It is imperative after an injury affecting these groups of muscles the proper steps are taken to rest and recover. As with any muscle group, failure to properly recover can result in further injury (Source).
Recovery can be accomplished with the help of physical therapy, and what is known as a Hip Flexor Brace. In the following article, we will not only go over what the primary function of this group is muscles is, but also what to do in the event of strain, or general pain.
Comparing The Braces
- REDUCE PAIN and INJURY RECOVERY: Fits HIP up to 42” in circumference and thighs up to 27”. Our custom 3 Staps design of this ortho wrap brace offers the support needed for a speedy recovery and helps relieve pain from any kind of hip, groin, hamstring, or lower back injury as well as immediate relief from sciatica pain.
- HIP BRACE HELPS RELIEVE PAIN AND SPEEDS UP RECOVERY from sciatica, strained thigh, hamstring, quadriceps, hip adductor, and hip flexor. Hip ortho wrap aids in relieving the pain of hip bursitis, hip arthritis, hip labral tear, SI (Sacroiliac) joint issues, and piriformis syndrome.
- HIP BRACE HELPS RELIEVE PAIN AND SPEEDS UP RECOVERY from sciatica, strained thigh, hamstring, quadriceps, hip adductor, and hip flexor. Hip wrap aids in relieving the pain of hip bursitis, hip arthritis, hip labral tear, SI (Sacroiliac) joint issues, and piriformis syndrome.
- Promotes hip and groin injury recovery: Use for quick relief for sciatica pain, strained hip, groin or quadricep pulls, torn upper thigh muscle, hip arthritis pain relief, tendonitis or bursitis, sciatic nerve and SI joint back pain, hip flexor strains, and post-pregnancy pubic symphysis dysfunction
- MAXIMUM COPPER ADVANTAGE: Achieve lasting relief and peak performance. Whether you are living with a chronic condition or chasing personal bests, Copper Compression helps you find the STRENGTH TO HEAL. We infuse copper directly into the fibers of our fabrics—it never washes away and keeps working to extend the life of the product, delivering maximum hygienic benefits.
As with any muscle group in the human body, it is imperative to support and maintain growth, as to not allow the muscles to atrophy. In some cases, it is beneficial to wear what is called a Hip Flexor Brace, to reduce inflammation and pain, as well as to facilitate recovery. In the sections below, we will be going over the muscle group’s function, pain that can be associated with these muscles, stretches to facilitate growth and recovery, and the Hip Flexor Brace.
Unlock Your Hip Flexors
If you want to try out a popular hip flexor exercise program, check out the Unlock Your Hip Flexors exercise program. The Injury Specialist Rick Kaselj produced it- you can check out his style below:
What You Need To Know
These sciatic nerve pain relief braces are used for injuries related to the Hip Flexor muscles. This brace works as a compression, to reduce swelling and inflammation, while facilitating increased blood flow to the area.
This is especially important during recovery, to ensure that the area affected is healing correctly. Active cold and compression when coupled with physical therapy, can be instrumental to a speedy recovery. According to braceability.com, “failure to invest in proper hip and groin support can further complicate a hip or groin strain, causing you weeks of recovery time.”
Exercises and really getting to know your hip muscles will play a huge role in reducing pain and avoiding future injury (Source).
Always make sure to stretch any muscles you may be using in your body prior to strenuous activity. To stretch your Hip Flexor muscles specifically:
Sit up, holding onto the sides of a chair or bench and stretch one of your legs, making sure it is parallel to the floor. Then you will lower your leg and raise again, repeating for at least 15 times per leg, per rep.
Now stand up, and raise one of your knees at a time to your chest. Then bring your leg down and up again, repeating about 5 times per leg.
The Hip Flexor Muscles
The hip flexor muscles refers to the group of muscles that connect your hips and pelvic region together. Primarily, most of the movement to propel you forward or any exercises done with your leg rely on this group of muscles and tendons. When these muscles contract, it will bend your joints. This is why a primarily sedentary lifestyle may be the cause of weak flexor and groin muscles. As with any muscle in your body, it is always a good idea to stretch and promote growth.
The flexor muscles are known to be some of the strongest muscles in the body; this is no surprise as they have a lot of work to do together to support your body’s movement. Athletes, especially those who depend on running for exercise and movement, are obviously prone to damaging the hip muscles. In rare cases, some people use dressing sticks if they’re too debilitated to clothe themselves.
When To See A Doctor
This is due to the fact that you put additional stress on your hip muscles when you sprint or kick. Hip flexor muscle pain is generally felt in the upper groin area, where the thighs connect to the pelvis.
Hip Flexor Braces: Buying Guide
When buying a brace, there are a couple of things to consider. In this section, we are going to go over those considerations, making choosing the correct brace simple.
- These types of braces can be worn while running and performing natural exercises; although having two to alternate and clean would be ideal.
- Although the brace can be machine washed, it is recommended to wash the brace by hand, and let air dry.
- They’re generally adjustable and has feature Velcro attachments. Additionally, it fits various different body types and sizes.
- This brace can be worn at night, but with anything medical related, it is always a good idea to check in with your doctor before extended use.
- There is not a brace for each leg; however, you may use groin support for the other leg.
- Multiple colors and designs are available for these braces.
We’ve gone over common concerns and considerations when buying a Hip Flexor brace, but there are a few more things that would be beneficial to be aware of.
You may be wondering what size the brace goes up to? That is a very good question, and the answer is, simply put, it varies. The braces are adjustable, and for the most part will fit a variety of body shapes and sizes. These can go up to hips of 56” and fit everything in between.
Caring & Maintenance
It is recommended that the brace is washed regularly, to avoid any buildup of dirt, germs, or bacteria. Although you can use a washing machine to clean the brace, it is recommended that it is washed by hand and then left out in the sun to dry. Alternatively, you may wash it on a cold and tumble dry with no heat. Keep in mind, as with anything that is attached using Velcro, this can lose its ability to stick to each other, and constant washing and drying can increase this effect.
We hope this article was helpful in not only caring for your Flexor muscles, but also in the event of a sprain or a tear the information given was insightful and beneficial. As with any type of exercise or muscle group, always keep in mind how imperative it is to stretch, facilitate growth, and if needed take time to recover.