The 5 Best Gel Seat Cushions [Ranked]
Top5Reviewed is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Gel seat cushions are fantastic options to improve the sitting comfort of your daily life.
Whether you suffer from mild back pain, or perhaps something more debilitating, gel cushions can help to prevent, alleviate and treat a variety of pain conditions from coccyx issues, lumbar strain, sciatica, degenerative disc disorders, and many others (Wikipedia).
Gel cushions are often medical-grade and feature column-buckling technology, which means that the gel pack of the cushions absorbs and disperses weight away from sore press points.
Many of the cushions we list below also feature cooling technology- bumps and ridges on the surface of the gel cushion that allow the transfer of air to prevent perspiration.
Our Top Pick: The GSeat Ultra Cushion
While more expensive than other gel cushions on the market, many buyers we spoke with endorsed it as the best option they have tried.
As well, the built-in carrying handle makes it simple to transport, especially if you need cushioning in public places where seating can be hard and unforgiving.
- Gelco Products claims that their cushion can help its users to relieve, prevent, and recover from orthopedic, lower back and tailbone pain, as well as pain associated with the prostate, postnatal, and postoperative sensitivity
- Its foward slope is engineered to enable proper posture, helping to alleviate pressure points and increase the sitter's blood circulation
- A highly portable cushion, it folds in the middle and includes a handle for easy transport
- Weighs less than 3.5 pounds
- Its center groove is designed to relieve soft tissue pressure and suspend the coccyx
- This is a US-made gel cushion
A Doctor's Opinion On The GSeat Ultra
Let’s take a look at our 5 favorite orthopedic, gel cushions.
2022 Gel Seat Cushions
- 【Large size & Help Relieve Pain】gel seat cushion size is 18 x 17 x 1.45 inch, weight about 2.6lb.Double layer gel cushion design. Not only thicker, but also more comfortableEffectively prevent and alleviate various pain symptoms, including tail bone problems, lumbar strain, sciatica, and degenerative disc disease.
- While other Gel Cushions are too small, uncomfortable, and not enough support, the SelectSoma Enhanced Purple High Grade Gel Cushion with Double Thickness is Large and provides Maximum Support for Complete Comfort while being Soft on Pressure Points.
- 【Thickened large size to relieve pressure】 large size (18.9x16.9x1.5inch) purple cushion is good to disperse the pressure of the hips and thighs, reduce muscle pressure and pressure on the sciatic nerve. Relieve the tailbone, lumbar spine problems of people with sedentary burden. Thickened super soft hardness is the gospel of obese people, do not worry about the cushion does not have a cushioning effect or collapse
- ✔️【Pressure Relief】Soreness and numbness caused by sedentary is because your chair is too stiff and block blood circulation. However, gel cushions for pressure sores is design to provide extremely soft support to disperses pressure and promote blood circulation, avoid discomfort caused by long time sitting.
- HONEYCOMB BREATHABLE DESIGN - Our gel cushion adopts honeycomb grid design, disperses the pressure of the whole buttocks and thighs, perfectly fits the buttocks curve, soft and without losing support force.
- Our Top Pick: The GSeat Ultra Cushion
- 2022 Gel Seat Cushions
- The 5 Best Gel Seat Cushions
- The Primary Characteristics Of A Quality Gel Seat Cushion
- Why Do People Generally Need One?
- How to sit more comfortably
- Some Old Favorites
- Final thoughts
The 5 Best Gel Seat Cushions
The GSeat Ultra cushion is an advanced and, we concede, pricey gel seat cushion. Could it possibly be too pricey? Once you think it over, we devote a great deal of our everyday life seated, in both office chairs, cars, or if you are afflicted with an incapacitating health issue, wheelchairs. Purchasing a resilient and high-quality cushion for more than $100 isn’t actually that absurd.
It really is a sensible choice for your health in the long run, particularly if you are afflicted with a chronic pain condition that requires medical-grade support. The GSeat Ultra is created specifically for those who sit for extended periods of time. Its dimensions are 16 x 18 x 2″ and it weighs 4.2 pounds. It provides a distinctive ergonomic forward sloping structure that is designed to promote a more pleasant seated position.
The middle groove helps you to disperse and minimize stress on the coccyx. Customers discuss using this cushion for a variety of diverse health conditions from fibromyalgia and disc herniations to prostatitis and chronic hemorrhoids with great outcomes. It is even a wonderful choice for use in your vehicle, particularly when you are traveling long distances- a solid car seat cushion. In general, we assessed this gel cushion to be among the best that we have ever reviewed and is one of our leading recommendations together with one of our other resident favorites, the LoveHome Gel Cushion.
It is a long-lasting, well-made and medical-grade support cushion” draggable=”false” href=”https://www.top5reviewed.com/donut-cushions/” data-wpil-keyword-link=”linked”>support cushion that serves a selection of various complaints- regardless if you are encountering slight lower lumbar pain, or are afflicted by a more severe health issue.
The WonderGel Supreme gel seat cushion is a medical-quality, robust support choice for a selection of distinct pain issues. Its dimensions are 16 x 18″ by 2″ and it weighs 5lbs. Undoubtedly one of its most distinctive features is its column-buckling gel which essentially means that bodyweight strain is spread efficiently and pressure points are eased easily into the gel pack of the cushion.
This is a new cushion from the Miracle Cushion company and they also claim that it continues to be completely re-engineered for 2016. Among a few of the product developments that they can claim are enhanced thermal transfer, meaning that the cushion ‘breathes’ more effectively. If you decide to sit for prolonged stretches of time you will not notice the cushion overheating, causing you to sweat. The fabric consists of copolymer which in our assessment of user reviews demonstrated resilience and absorption to a range of different weight pressures.
Although this gel cushion is a bit more costly than various other options, customers report outstanding experiences utilizing it for a diverse variety of numerous types of conditions, from wheelchair to desk chair use. It’s kind of firmer than several other options, and it does run a bit smaller than advertised, a lot more like 14″x17″ than the product specs claim: 16″x18″. In all, this is a good choice to think about if you’re in the market for a top-quality gel cushion.
The LoveHome Cool Gel Seat Cushion is among our favorites. It is created specifically to help eliminate pain associated with different orthopedic types of conditions, including lower back, coccyx, and tailbone pain. The cushion measures: 18.1 x 16.1 x 1.8 and weighs 3 lbs.
The cushion distributes body weight effectively and is made to encourage healthy posture in addition to contouring to the human body’s normal shape. The bumps which you can observe on the outside of the cushion are made to facilitate a cooling ventilation that ensures that perspiration is kept down to the absolute minimum, particularly if you are utilizing this cushion for a long time.
This LoveHome seat cushion is particularly good for wheelchair users because of this cooling technology. As well, the bottom of the cushion features a non-skid material that helps the cushion grip to any surface that you are sitting on. Another thing we liked about this cushion is that It includes a useful carry bag helping to make transporting it a cinch.
Consumers report using this gel cushion to ease sitting pain associated with an assortment of ailments from degenerative discs, scoliosis, sciatica, and common lumbar pain.
This really is one of our top recommendations because it is a dynamic and high-quality cushion produced by an established manufacturer who also provides a one-year warranty.
The EquaGel Seat Cushion is a 2-inch thick gel cushion. It measures 20 inches wide and 18 inches in diameter. This is a medical-grade gel cushion that is ideal for a wheelchair user but also is a great option for those looking for a really high-quality and durable seat cushion for the office or even for the car.
The gel features a pelvic bucket for additional support- allowing the body to sink its weight into the gel pack. The gel pack will never degrade- that is one of the chief advantages of these sorts of cushions.
The EquaGel comes with a fluid-resistant black cover with a carry handle. As well, it’s made of a dry-polymer that is configured in a columnar structure that is specifically designed to relieve pressure by dispersing weight outwards and away from pressure points- which is particularly beneficial to those looking for a cushion that can prevent pressure sores. Traditional cushions push back against weight.
The more they compress the harder it pushes back, which means an increased risk of sore formation. This cushion has been tested to be effective for people with low to moderate risk for pressure sores. Some users report moderate alleviation of chronic pain related to coccyx soreness, failed back surgeries and also endorse its high weight tolerance- accommodating individuals who weigh 300 pounds or more.
All in all, this is a high-quality medical-grade gel cushion design to relieve and prevent pressure sores, while also being a more than a serviceable option for everyday use.
The Sharper Image gel seat cushion measures 15 x 17 x 2 inches and weighs 3 pounds. Sharper Image is an American brand well known for offering high-end lifestyle products. The Sharper Image cushion is a more economical alternative than the other products that we have examined here but does not offer the same medical-grade quality of support that you could find with the WonderGel or EquaGel or LoveHome seat cushions.
That said, this is still a quality cushion that would be serviceable for people looking for support in their cars, or at the office or at home. Its primary features include a polyester outer cover and a non-skid bottom. It’s a bit smaller than the other products that we have reviewed and it is fairly heavy considering its smaller dimensions. That said, if you are under 200 lbs, it’s likely that this cushion will not be too small for you.
In all, this cushion makes our list because of its low cost relative to its solid features.
The Primary Characteristics Of A Quality Gel Seat Cushion
Why Do People Generally Need One?
It certainly is true that in our modern world we spend an increasing amount of time sitting. Whether you are an office worker that is glued to your office chair, sitting there for six hours stretches at a time, or you have a fidgety child that is uncomfortable sitting at a wood school desk, or perhaps an elderly person that spends a good amount of the day sitting in a rocking chair that just doesn’t have enough support for it to be comfortable for them, choosing a seat cushion can be an intelligent investment.
They are tremendously effective in relieving all manner of pain and discomfort, as well as contributing to the overall health of your body, particularly your spine. Spinal health, specifically, can be greatly enhanced by the use of the seat cushion. We often neglect this region of our body, putting it through a great deal of aggravation that, evolutionarily, it just never was designed to deal with. That said, let’s take a look at some of the primary uses of a seat cushion.
How to sit more comfortably
If you are like most people, in our modern society, it is likely that you spend a lot of time sitting. Whether you are sitting in a car on the way to the office, bottleneck in traffic. Or whether you are sitting in your cubicle for 6 to 8 hours a day.
Whatever the reason you are sitting as much as you do, it makes sense to understand the best position to said so that you do not develop any adverse effects from this unnatural and sedentary practice.
Sitting for extended periods of time can create next tension, lower back pain as well as muscle fatigue. The first thing you should consider is investing in a high-quality chair. A good quality office chair will help to support a healthy posture. Healthy posture occurs when the chair supports the natural curves of the spine. The spine should feel relaxed and supported the way that the discs, ligaments, and muscles of the back do not feel overstrained.
Besides purchasing a chair, and investing in a quality seat cushion, some other quick tips, and strategies you should employ.
- Make sure that you position your buttocks and hips as deep into the middle of the seat’s area as possible.
- There should not be too much space between the back of your knees and the edge of your seat.
- You should place your feet flat on the floor and ensure that your needs are kept at hip level.
- When sitting, make sure that you lean your spine so that it is firm against the back of the chair-you want the upper and lower back to be completely supported.
- Purchasing a lumbar support that maintains the curve of the lower back is another great strategy to decrease the stress you might feel in the area as well as to improve tension and spinal muscles.
- Your chair should also have armrests. Armrests will support your arms and keep the weight from adding unneeded stress to the rest of your body.
- Make sure that you do not sit in a single position for too long a time. This is called sitting in a static position.
- Make sure to get up every half an hour and move around, stretching for a few minutes. The purpose of this is to increase your blood circulation, as well as relaxing tightened muscles.
- You’ll be surprised to find that you will actually be even more productive by taking these mini-breaks because your body will feel more relaxed and you’ll be better able to concentrate on your tasks.
- You should try to avoid spending too much time on plush sofas or couches. These types of seats are not good for your back and as well as can be very difficult to get out of, potentially leading to back strain from a jerking movement.
Some Old Favorites
Check out some of our past picks- they’re not always in stock, so we’ve downgraded these recommendations.
|Quick View||Gel Cushions||Our Rating (1-5)|
|The GSeat Ultra Cushion||4.2|
|The WonderGel Supreme Cushion||4.0|
|The LoveHome Cool Gel Seat Cushion||4.2|
|The EquaGel Seat Cushion||4.5|
|The Sharper Image Gel Seat Cushion||4.4|
Paying attention to your sitting posture can pay enormous dividends. As we have come to understand, preventative healthcare is incredibly important.
Rather than waiting to develop a hernia in your lower back, or some other type of ailment like sciatica or piriformis syndrome, practice some practical sense- invest in a quality seat cushion, make sure that you are sitting in an ergonomic office chair, definitely move around and exercise to avoid static postures, and even practice yoga in your downtime.
All of these things combined can ensure that you and your body maintain a healthy relationship long into the future.
We are a team of product researchers that specializes in assembling comprehensive buying guides. Our team has a variety of backgrounds, with a mixture of soft and hard sciences represented. Check out our About page to read more about our reviews and editorial process.