The 5 Best Pain Relieving Patches [Ranked]
The over-the-counter topical pain patches listed below are ideal for providing temporary relief for mild to moderate pain symptoms.
They are most commonly used for conditions like arthritis, bruises, strains, nerve pain, back pain, and many other pain symptoms (Source).
Counter-irritant patches typically contain a combination of: capsaicin, camphor, menthol or methyl salicylate, while fentanyl patches contain the opioid fentanyl.
One Of Our Favorites: The Salonpas Pain Relieving Patch
Salonpas Video Review
Let’s take a look at five of the best-selling pain-relieving patches on the market today and see how they compare.
The 5 Best Pain Relieving Patches
With the deep penetrating heat that comes from this analgesic patch, users will be able to find relief from localized pain quickly. The effect can last up to 8 hours. It is effective for backache, sprains, bruises, strains and arthritis. The primary active ingredient in its formulation is menthol. If desired, it can be easily resized. For safety purposes, it should not be used on wounds and open skin. It should not also be applied on children under 12 years old. Also, its usage should be limited to up to 4 times daily.
Want pain relief but prefer to stay away from taking medications? This 2.75 x 4-inch medical patch may work for you. It is great for relieving simple backaches as well as arthritis and joint pains. Once the patch is applied, it gives a soothing and long-lasting effect. While many are satisfied with its effect, some are sensitive to its strong odor which is more like the smell of combined Chinese herbs. This product is made in China and some buyers claim that it is a bit overpriced online.
The Salonpas patch is designed to alleviate minor aches and external pains in the muscles and joints brought about by strains, backaches, bruises, sprains and arthritis. This 2.56 by 1.65-inch patch has active ingredients that include methyl salicylate, menthol and camphor. As soon as the patch is applied on the affected area, it feels warm at first, before it starts giving temporary comfort from pain. This patch is recommended only for users who are 12 years old and above. Those who are allergic to aspirin and salicylates are advised to consult a doctor before using it. Also, it should not be used on damaged skin.
If you have been suffering from a joint or muscle pain, this product might be able to provide you fast , but temporary, relief. With its hydro-gel formulation, the ingredients on the patch quickly penetrate the skin once it is applied. It immediately stimulates blood circulation in the affected area. The initial effect is warm and soothing. It can be worn underneath your clothing without worrying of greasy residue or stain. This patch which measures 4 x 2.75 inches is not recommended for patients under 12 years old. Also, it should not be used to treat broken skin.
End the debilitating effects of back pain without taking any medication by using this fast-acting patch. It measures 5.25 by 4.5 inches and is designed to cover a large area. When the affected area is small, it can be cut to your desired size and shape for a custom fit even if worn underneath your clothing without leaving grease or stain. The rejuvenating effect of this patch can last up to 12 hours. However, one of the major issues about this patch is its high cost.
What do users say about these pain-relieving patches?
- Many people from construction workers to school teachers have treated a variety of different pain symptoms using these patches.
- One user reports having strained her gluteus medius so severely that she was not able to put any weight on her right leg without the leg entirely collapsing beneath her. After applying a patch to the area for the advised 12 hours she was able to put weight back on the leg.
- Many people also experience significant decreases in arthritis pain when they placed the patches on their afflicted areas. They commented that the return on investment is tremendous considering the pain relief that they experience.
- Some of the pain-relieving patches have strong aromas. Some of the users didn’t like the smell, while others were not bothered, and some even liked it. That said, if the patch you are considering purchasing has a strong smell, it is something you should consider if you were going to be using it in a close space around other people.
- One sciatica sufferer who was so bothered by the pain that he was not able to sleep the night comfortably experienced significant pain relief and a sound sleep after applying the patches overnight.
- One user of the salon pause patch commented on their incredible efficacy. The back pain relief was so amazing that she ended up overdoing it a bit and aggravating her condition. So it’s important to realize that these patches may treat the pain symptoms but are not actually curing because of the pain you are experiencing.
- The adhesives used on these pain patches can be pretty strong, so you can count on some minor pain when you pull off the patch, particularly if it is been placed on an area with hair. If you are consistently applying the patch in the same area, you may consider shaving that area so that you cannot experience pain when removing the patch.
- Many people use these patches for minor aches, only taking them out of the medicine cabinet when they’re experiencing a flareup. Other people who are in chronic pain will be using these patches on a daily basis.
- Users who experienced nerve and chronic pain and have found some relief using these pain patches, as well. One user in particular found that the onset of a sharp and intense tingling pain in the left hip was effectively treated by the pain patches and allowed him to live with the pain until he was able to see a chiropractor for medical treatment.
- Pain patches are available in different sizes, so make sure when you look to purchase them that you select one that is the right size for your needs.
- Some users became especially creative and use scissors to cut up the patches so that they fit better around difficult areas like fingers.
- A lot of people recognize that having these pain patches in the medicine cabinet is a great resource should you need them. So even if you are not in acute pain, it’s a wise decision to stock up on these items in the event that you might need them in the future.