The 5 Best Window Well Covers [Ranked]
Top5Reviewed is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A window well cover is a piece of some type of material that is designed to fit over the window well of a basement window (Source).
The purpose of basement window well covers is to prevent falls into the basement window well as well as to prevent buildup of water, snow, or other debris in the basement window well (Source).
Window well covers fit over basement window wells blocking the basement window well from the elements. Window well covers attach to the basement window well and sometimes the house itself (Source).
They help to prevent damage to the foundation and window frame by keeping water out of the basement window well.
Buyers of window well covers say that it’s a good idea to measure your basement window well ahead of time to ensure a good fit of the window well cover.
One buyer had the clever idea to put two window well covers together to create a mini greenhouse for their garden. That would, of course, only work with translucent window well covers that aren’t flat.
- Comparing The Options
- How They Compare
- Best Window Well Covers For 2020
Comparing The Options
|Window Well Covers||Our Rating||Price ($)||Dimensions (L x W x H)|
|The Maccourt W4419 Window Well Cover||3.8||$||44" x 19" x 15"|
|The Amerimax Translucent Window Well Cover||3.9||$$||16.5" x 40" x 3"|
|The Maccourt Circular Low Profile Window Well Cover||3.9||$||40" x 17" x 3.5"|
|The Maccourt W4018 Type A Window Well Cover||3.4||$||40" x 18.5" x 9.5"|
How to Install
*Note* These are general instructions; each window well cover varies slightly and you should always follow the instructions of the manufacturer.
- Place your basement window well cover over your basement window well and make sure it’s centered and completely flush against the wall.
- Mark your window well cover using something like painter’s tape on each side of the cover right where it meets up with your window well. Aim for marking a spot that’s about 5 inches or so away from the wall of your house.
- Remove the window well cover from the basement window well and drill a hole in each of the marks you made. It’s a good idea to use some scrap wood underneath the window well cover when drilling to prevent damage to the window well cover.
- Attach your clips securely to your window well cover through the holes you drilled.5. Use the installed clips to attach your basement window well cover to your window well.