The 5 Best Wheelchair Ramps [Ranked]
Top5Reviewed is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Unfortunately, most homes are not wheelchair-friendly.
This can be an especially difficult inconvenience for disabled individuals and their families, as wheelchairs and electric scooters can't navigate a residence's steps.
If it is beyond your means to install a wheelchair ramp to enable a handicapped person easier access to the home, you should consider purchasing a portable and collapsible exterior access wheelchair ramp.
These types of ramps will enable a wheelchair-bound person to more easily come and go from a home. These entrance-way ramps are generally pretty long and usually constructed from aluminum.
Many, like the Prairie View Ramp, actually fold up and can be carried with a handle just like a suitcase.
- Our Top Pick: The Prairie View Portable Ramp
- Comparing The Options
- Our Wheelchair Ramp Reviews: Some Good Options
- Our Top Pick
- Wheelchair Ramp Considerations
- Old Favorites
Our Top Pick: The Prairie View Portable Ramp
Comparing The Options
- 【800LBS LOAD CAPACITY】These telescopic wheelchair ramps are made from durable strong aluminum materials and can be extended to 36 inch (3FT) in length.They provide a very strong ramp that will support a total weight of 800 lbs.
- MULTI-FOLD RAMP: This loading ramp is designed to be strong, portable, and incredibly convenient. We have designed it with a folding construction, which increases the overall durability of the ramp. With minimal assembly required, you can have a reliable handicap ramp installed and ready to go in minutes!
- [Sturdy & Non-slip] Lightweight wheelchair ramp with non-slip paint finish on the ribbed and high traction surface, the ramp is suitable for use in all weather conditions. The bottom transition plates of the ramp make the ramp fit the ground better. And the top transition plate adopts a rubber anti-skid pad, ensuring the safe use of the ramp.
- 【Adjustable Lightweight Ramp】Ramps for wheelchairs for home has telescopic design. The ramp length can be extended from 35.3’’ to 60’’ (3-5FT) . Usable width 6 inch, overall width 7.4 inch. Wheelchair ramp weighs only 12.71 lbs (2 Pack in the Box), much more lightweight and portable than permanent ramps. A good resistant to get mom and dad wheelchair up and down steps from house into the garage or car.
- NON-SLIP & STURDY - This wheelchair ramps for steps covered with a black frosted skidproof PVC carpet for maximum traction even in bad weather,wide platform design for maximum support and stability,also two high side walls prevent accidental falls
Our Wheelchair Ramp Reviews: Some Good Options
Our Top Pick
The Prairie View Portable Ramp
If you have a pressing need for a sturdy ramp, then this item can be a good investment. It is one of the more trusted wheelchair ramps on the market.
It is made of anti-corrosive aluminum alloy with a skid-proof surface. It is also lightweight for portability.
Measuring 96 x 30 x 3 inches in length, width and height respectively, it is fitted with two hard rails to prevent the user from falling over the side.
However, note that it is made for a doorstep that is 3 inches or higher, otherwise, it will hit the ground, causing it to rock.
The 9 Foot Silver Spring Mobility Scooter and Wheelchair Ramp
This ramp is a sturdy, compact and portable option that can effectively handle most wheelchairs. It is designed to traverse curbs, steps and raised surfaces.
With its high traction surface, it prevents the chair from skidding regardless of the weather condition.
This ramp is safe to be used for elevated surfaces of up to 18 inches when the wheelchair is occupied or 27 inches for walking.
Its maximum weight capacity is about 600 pounds. This ramp is also foldable as it features a multiple-section design.
Some users complained that their ramp is a bit wobbly and unstable.
The Titan 84 Inch Wheelchair Ramp
This ramp is one of the best-regarded options on the market.
It measures 84 inches in length and 30 inches in width with a 600-pound weight capacity.
Made of study aluminum, it has a slip-resistant grip surface and is ideal to be used for porches, landings, steps, curbs and vans.
However, it is safe to be used only for wheelchairs and scooters and not for walking.
Some users did complain that it is a bit heavy for them to carry, although it comes with a soft nylon handle for transport.
The Titan 36 Inch Wheelchair Ramp
This item is another popular wheelchair ramp in the market. It can safely handle up to a 600-pound weight.
It has a serrated top to prevent slipping as well as a 2.5-inch angled lip with holes for keeping the ramp in place.
While it is designed to lift chairs and scooters, it is not recommended for walkers.
The overall dimension of this aluminum ramp is 36 x 30 inches in length and width and it comes with a hard plastic handle for portability.
Some users are a bit unhappy that it is quite heavy for them to carry.
The HomCom Folding Wheelchair Ramp
This ramp features an anti-corrosive and skid-proof surface and it can safely lift chairs in any weather condition. It is also foldable to save space when not in use.
To ensure that the chair will not go over the edge, it is fitted with guardrails.
Aside from wheelchairs, this portable ramp can also be used for scooters, lawn mowers and other heavy items that need to be transported up a stair way.
Made of sturdy aluminum alloy, it can carry up to 600 pounds of weight. Some were disappointed that it is not intended for walking.
Wheelchair Ramp Considerations
For most people, getting up steps is extremely easy- young people often take them in a single leap. As we age, we slow down and navigating entrances can become not just difficult but perilous for some individuals that occupy wheelchairs or have knee arthritis or hip problems.
Installing a wheelchair ramp can help the elderly come in and out of their homes more securely. These basic accessibility devices can produce a significant increase in the comfort and convenience of an elderly person's life.
Besides that, wheelchair ramps are able to increase the independence and life satisfaction that senior citizens and the disabled experience on a daily basis.
The convenience of a wheelchair ramp also extends to their used in emergencies- they will be more able and equipped to leave a home quickly and event of an emergency should one occur.
If you're considering purchasing a wheelchair ramp, you will want to take extensive measurements prior to purchase.
How to build your own
Some people prefer to install a more involved, handicap-accessible alternative, but wheelchair ramps can work in a pinch if you are not able to take the more expensive route.
Benefits of purchasing a wheelchair ramp online
Some of the primary benefits of a wheelchair ramp purchased online is fast and (sometimes) free shipping, solid warranties, more buying options, and customer reviews. Other than that, they can be quickly configured, many of them are portable, some include handrails, feature skid-resistant services, mostly preassembled, almost no maintenance required, extra weight bearing capacity, and they can be configured to adapt to most entrance ways.
When you were looking to purchase, make sure you understand that there are different types of wheelchair ramps: the suitcase wheelchair ramp, a trifold suitcase wheelchair ramp, the threshold ramp, telescopic wheelchair van ramp, as well as roll-up ramps.
These are some of the considerations you should have in mind before purchasing a ramp- make sure that you examine the ramp carefully before you buy it to ensure that it fits the requirements that you have.
Check out AmRamp if you need more information about purchasing and installing a wheelchair ramp.
Length X Width
36" L x 30" W
108" L x 30" W
84" L x 30" W
60" L x 15" W
96" L x 29" W