The 5 Best Washi Tape [Ranked]
This decorative Japanese tape has a ton of different uses- a slew of crafty YouTubers have showcased its diverse various applications.
Indeed- there are a ton of washi tape designs you can select. Many craftspeople have entire closets crammed full of the tape in colors and prints & different widths. It's super-addicting once you get started.
It's an easy way to personalize any household item- plus it has amazing organizational potential!
But What is it?
Washi (和紙) paper is a traditional style of Japanese paper, according to Wikipedia. The word itself comes from the word 'wa', which means 'Japanese' and shi which means 'paper'.
It's made from local fibers utilizing the the mitsumata shrub (Edgeworthia chrysantha), the gampi tree's inner bark, or the mulberry (kōzo) bush. It's a tougher type of paper than regular kinds that are fabricated from wood pulp.
Let's examine five of the best-selling options- check out our list below.
Comparing The Washi Tape
- 【Dimensions】Colored tape is 15 mm wide. One package contains 60 rolls.The cute washi tape has a variety of different patterns and unique designs, providing you with more choices for crafts
- The package includes 21 washi tape in assorted sizes and designs
- ☆50 ROLLS WASHI TAPE SET: 5yd length per each roll, 10 rolls of 6mm wide; 10 rolls of 10mm wide; 15 rolls of 15mm wide, and 15 rolls of 20mm wide, with total 250yd (228.6m) length.
- Rainbow Colorful Washi Tape: 20 Rolls rainbow color Washi Tape, you can fully create your own DIY projects. Each Roll is 15 mm wide x 5 meters long. It is the best gift for children, handmade lovers, and teenagers. Make unlimited use of creativity!
- [Dimensions] - One package includes 40 rolls of masking tape with fashionable designs. Each roll of washi tape is 0.59 inches (15mm) in width and 9.8 feet (3m) in length, so there is plenty of tape for all kinds of craft activities!
9 Ways To Use Washi Tape
Understanding Washi Tape And Its Uses
This question has been ringing in the minds of most people and going unanswered. They have heard the term yet are uncertain of the various potential washi tape uses, and how it can best be used once it has been acquired. The fact of the matter is that washi tape has several uses at home. Some of these uses include fixing tape and brightening properties. In other words, it is a Japanese paper where the name is derived from the two terms: Wa + shi = Japanese + paper.
How It’s Made
Washi tape is made from the pulped filaments of various plant species. Among these are filaments of a rice plant, hemp, bamboo, the mitsamuta bush and gampi bark. The source is to a great extent unimportant to its primary properties, which are on a very basic level those of a general paper veiling tape. It is effortlessly torn, can print and has glue properties sufficiently light to remove yet sufficiently good for bundling.
Not at all like typical paper produced using wood mash, has washi tape had a semi-translucent quality, with the goal that you see light radiating through it? Two of the main reasons why it is so extraordinary is that it can be imprinted in a boundless scope of hues and examples, and it offers a lovely choice for those looking for a solid specialty tape that can likewise be used for bundling. The tape can even be peeled from tissue paper if done precisely.
There are numerous washi tape applications. It can be printed with single strong hues or with any delightful plan for use as an enlivening tape for creating or practical applications. On account of its uncommon quality for a type of paper, this interesting tape is used to beautify and secure various family unit things where a solid bond isn’t fundamental. Another use is to pinning notes on wallboards, and it is additionally helpful for fixing little endowments.
Washi tape may not be good for sealing and wrapping large bundles, but it is used for sealing small bundles and they look amazing. To seal light bundling, always ensure the items are dry and free from oil, and that your hands are spotless when you apply it. It isn’t a decent security tape, yet its brightening properties are brilliant!
Washi tape is a famous adornment medium for things, for example, window boxes, vases, lampshades and tablet and workstation covers.
It is additionally helpful for finishing mugs, saucers, tumblers, glasses and different types of silverware since it offers a level of water protection. In any case, there is a wide range of sorts of this tape, and not all will oppose being washed with water unless done delicately.
Numerous Japanese use washi tape to enrich their chopsticks. You can use the tape to distinguish your own particular cutlery and earthenware in an understudy level or to transform a common table or work area into a wonderful show-stopper. The utilization to which this embellishing fixing and art tape can be put are constrained just by your creative energy.
Washi tape has various restorative uses. Ladies can use the cement washi tape on toenails and fingernails for beauty. It can also be used in decorating your bike outline and enhance your auto or van with this to a great degree flexible tape. Washi tape may be used on any smooth surface, even glass.
The translucent property makes it work well on windows. Washi tape is available in various types and categories with different colors that have made it so prevalent around the world.
Truly, it can be used a bundling tape for little packages, however, check its quality on these first, and it has a few more practical uses that you can likely consider, yet it is for their magnificence that such tapes are well known.
Therefore, a washi tape is a Japanese art tape that can be used a fixing tape or for beauty purposes depending on the level of your creativity. It is flexible in that it be easily detached and used again for other needs. It can be cleaned with a sodden fabric, however just on the off chance that you treat it delicately and don’t rub it hard. Its translucent properties offer various open doors for its utilization to finish lampshades and even glaring light tubes.
- Awa washi (Tokushima)
- Ecchu washi (Toyama)
- Gundo gami (Akiruno, Tokyo)
- IseWashi (Ise, Mie)
- Mino washi (Gifu)
- Echizen washi (Echizen, Fukui)
- Sugihara gami (Taka, Hyōgo)
- Sekisyū washi (Hamada, Shimane)
- Yame washi (Fukuoka)
- Uchiyama gami (Iiyama, Nagano)
- Tosa washi (Kochi)
List Of Art Forms
- Kami-ito – pure-fiber washi paper spun into thread
- Ikebana – flower arrangement, (aka kadō)
- Katazome – a method of dyeing fabrics using a resist paste
- Inkjet printings
- Chiyogami – Japanese screenprinting
- Mokuhanga (Japanese wood printing)
- Nihonga (Japanese paintings)
- Origami – the art of paper folding
- Shibori – cloth-dyeing
- Shodo – calligraphy
- Shifu – yarn work
- Sumi-e – the art of Ink wash painting
- Sumingashi – a form of paper marbling
- Ukiyo-e – a genre of woodblock prints
- Washi eggs – covering eggs with washi paper
- Chigiri-e – “painting” pictures