The 5 Best Turkey Fryers [Ranked]
Top5Reviewed is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A turkey fryer is a product that is designed to cook turkeys as well as other foods usually by deep-frying in oil (Source).
However, there are some turkey fryers that cook turkeys without using oil known simply as oil-less turkey fryers (Source).
Many turkey fryers are also capable of boiling and steaming different foods.
How They Work
The burner of the fryer connects to a propane tank via a hose, and the tank provides propane for the burner to burn which produces heat. The heat raises the temperature of the stockpot on top of the burner thus raising the temperature of the oil inside and cooking the turkey.
Electric turkey fryers like the Masterbuilt work in a similar way but use electricity rather than burning propane for heat.
Oil-less turkey fryers like the Char-Broil work by rapidly circulating very hot air around food to evenly cook it. Most buyers concur that their turkey fryers were easy to use, but some suggested that if you don’t already know how to fry a turkey, that it’s a good idea to practice.
This is specifically a good idea if you plan to fry a butterball turkey for a special event such as Thanksgiving. One buyer said that they fried a chicken to practice using their propane turkey fryer without dishing out the money for a turkey.
Our Top Pick: The Butterball Electric Turkey Fryer
Turkey Fryers Compared
How to Use a Turkey Fryer
- Completely thaw and prepare your turkey for frying.
- Perform any needed set up according to the instructions from your turkey fryer’s manufacturer.
- Keep children, pets, and anything flammable away from the space that your turkey fryer is set up in.
- Heat your oil to the appropriate temperature of 350-400 degrees Fahrenheit (unless you’re using an oil-less fryer).
- Very carefully and slowly lower your turkey into the turkey fryer.
- Cook your turkey for approximately 3 to 4 minutes for each pound of turkey
- Once your turkey has reached an internal temperature of approximately 175 degrees Fahrenheit, carefully remove it from your turkey fryer.
- Allow any remaining oil to drain from your turkey and allow it to rest 20 minutes before carving.
Best Turkey Fryer For 2021
We are a team of product researchers that specializes in assembling comprehensive buying guides. Our team has a variety of backgrounds, with a mixture of soft and hard sciences represented. Check out our About page to read more about our reviews and editorial process.