This is a floorless design, which means that you won't have to remove a ton of camping accessories from the back of your pickup truck before bedding down for the night. All of these tents are designed to accommodate two adults.
As opposed to setting up a traditional campsite, Rightline Gear says that this style of the truck bed camping keeps you off of the ground, plus it's a lot simpler to set up without having to use stakes and tarps. You'll want to consult with the truck sizing guide located on the product page to ensure you purchase the correct model tent for the year, model and make of your vehicle.
- Buyers were on the whole impressed by this option- reviewers say that it remained stable even when in high-velocity wind areas.
- Other reviewers said that it took under 15 minutes to assemble and disassemble.
- Another reviewer who took it on a family road trip said that the entire family was caught in an epic rainstorm but that his truck bed tent kept them completely dry, without condensation being an issue either, in the morning.
- Another reviewer who purchased it for his Ford F1 50 super crew said that it was an attractive and easy to erect option with conveniently located pockets- a value buy that was, as well, capable of being assembled by a single person.
- Examining their truck bed air mattress sizing guide, it evidently accommodates a range of different trucks including the Nissan Titan, the Toyota Tundra, the Dodge Ram, the Chevy Silverado, the Chevy Colorado, the Ford Ranger, the GMC Canyon, the Nissan Frontier, the Toyota Tacoma, the Ford F1 50, Ford F2 50, and Ford F3 50.
Guide Gear Compact
The second truck bed tent we examined it is provided by Guide Gear- they say that it fits truck beds 72 inches to 74 inches that are 63" x 74".
- Buyers were impressed by the ventilation- saying that even in hot weather sleeping wasn't too uncomfortable because of the breezy airflow that kept them cool.
- Another reviewer said that it took upwards of 10 minutes to assemble, was easy to insert back into the carrying bag, though buyers recommend you may want to invest in some comfortable cushioning so that the ridges of your truck bed don't pain you overnight.
- Other buyers say that because of the stretch straps you can adapt it to different size truck beds.
- As well, reviewers have used a variety of different cushioning strategies to make sleeping more comfortable, including the use of a futon.
- Other reviewers say that it is a relatively low-priced option that takes some know how to assemble the first time but overall adapts to different sized truck beds.
Guide Gear Full Size
The third truck tent we examined was another Guide Gear- it's marketed as a convenient camping and sheltering option for on the go drivers and campers.
- Buyers advise that you assemble it on the ground and then to insert it into the truck bed.
- The advantage to this style of camping set up, some outdoor enthusiasts observed, is that it gets you off the ground and away from pooled water, and it's easier to set up, especially when the ground is too tough to drive stakes into.
- One buyer found that it was a little bit too big for his truck bed, but with a little bit of adjusting found that it could be resized to comfortably accommodate the size of his particular vehicle.
The fourth truck bed tent we examined his manufactured by Napier- it comes in different sizes including 5 foot, 6 foot, 8 foot, and more. It features 4 windows, a rain fly, strong ventilation and a storm flap.
- One camper advises that you practice assembling this before taking it out into the real world- this ensures that when the rubber hits the road and everyone's tired from a long journey that you won't encounter any unexpected assembly surprises.
- Indeed, buyers who were on road trips encountered temperatures that were both cold and hot tells us that it was comfortable to use, it never leaked, and because of the netting at the top inside of the tent they were able to use it to hold digital devices and screen movies for themselves.
- Buyers also employed a small step so that children and the elderly were able to enter into the back of the truck bed as needed.
- Another handy feature that most of these truck tents share is that the straps that hold it to the truck bed are padded so they don't scratch the paint.
- Another traveler was impressed at the height of it, saying that it was about 7 feet tall, providing ample spaciousness inside for two adults to somewhat comfortably spend the night together.
- Other campers recommend purchasing a camp light to illuminate its interior- this extra amenity is a logical purchase if you are spending any length of time out of doors camping.
The last option we examined was the Kodiak canvas truck bed tent- it comes in different sizes.
- Again, buyers were relatively impressed- one reviewer says that canvas constructed sleeping tents are generally more durable and structurally sound.
- In terms of assembly, buyers recommend practicing a couple times to get the hang of it and say that having another pair of hands can help.
- Another reviewer tells us that whenever they travel with this truck bed tent they find spectators are ogling it and taking pictures- so they're often forced to give tours and demonstrations.