The 5 Best Trenching Shovels [Ranked]
Top5Reviewed is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Trenching shovels, or clean-out shovels, as they are often known, are engineered to shovel out loose soil that is at the bottom of a trench (Source).
Their most general definition is a shovel designed to clear and dig out trenches.
They have a pointed and sharp blade with square sides that are engineered to create cleanly cut trench walls, while also minimizing any disruption of surrounding soil (Source).
On construction sites, they are often used after a power trencher has cleaned out a trench area and the trenching shovel is used to finish up the job.
Sometimes they are used to remove that has been broken or loosened by pick axes or trenching hoes.
It's important to note that trenching shovels are not great for digging because its narrow width prevents you from planting your foot on the blade and pushing it into the ground.
Our Top Pick: The Fiskars Trenching Shovel
- The Fiskars Pro D-handle Digging Shovel features an extruded aluminum handle and double-bolted connections for ultimate strength and durability
Buyers say that this specialized shovel is ideal for digging deep narrow holes. transplanting, and trenching.
Some use it as a post hole digger too- it's a strong and sharp option. The plastic top handle can accommodate two hands at a time.
It's held together by one screw but the long steel handle compensates for solid structural integrity.
Fiskars Video Overview
Let's take a look at 5 of the best-selling options on the market today and see how they compare.
- Our Top Pick: The Fiskars Trenching Shovel
- Comparing Them
- The Five Best Trenching Shovels
- Buying Guide
The Five Best Trenching Shovels
The 14-Gauge, Fiberglass Trencher from Bully Tools is a handy little tool for your gardening and trench digging tasks and comes with a long handle for better control.
Its users find the reinforced handle and ferrule convenient to use, but also note that the quality is not up to par.
The product is made in the USA comes with a blade that measures 3 by 12 inches, and a handle that measures 47 inches. The Bully Trencher includes a limited warranty (lifetime) and is an option to consider if you want a tool for digging in sandy soil- as this option does not work well in clay.
- Efficient in removing mud from excavator tracks
- Sturdy body and blade
- Long handle avoids bending too low hence prevents back pain
- The shovel measuring 3 inch is too narrow to dig and rocks or dirt tend to fall off, when it is raised
- Cannot be used in clay or hard rocky ground
- Foot rest is very small
The heavy-duty, 48 inch Tru Pro Truper Trencher is an effective yard tool that works well in both hard packed clay and gravel type of soil.
Its users find the blade made of stainless steel very sturdy and strong, but also note that it bends a little after prolonged use.
The handle is made of reinforced resin and a rivet-less collar ring that is made of crimped steel, which provides particular sturdiness.
The Truper Trenching tool could be a good option for you if you prefer solid design for clay and gravel digging.
- Light-weight shovel makes it easy to handle
- Is effective in both hard packed clay and gravel soil
- Low price
- The shovel is especially good for getting a level and flat bottomed trench
- One user has complained of the shaft flexing when overtaxed
- The shovel lacks space for foot placement and hence it does not provide a good grip
The Ash Wood handle Corona Trench Shovel is a useful trenching tool with a 4″ blade that is designed for effective penetration in any type of soil.
Its users find the v-angled shovel head and flat bottom convenient to use, but do note that the long handle and digging angle can put a strain on the back- for some users.
The deep sides and sharp edges ensure smooth bottomed trenches. The Corona Shovel for trench digging is a handy gardening tool if you are looking for a cheap and durable trench shovel.
- Tough and sturdy body
- Angled shovel blade and handle with large diameter ensure increased comfort and efficiency
- Is very useful for all kinds of tasks in your yard
- Saves money and time when compared to using a professional trench digger
- The foot placements aren't ideal for every user
- The long handle can be inconvenient to use, especially when you push the blade using your foot, while trying to hold the trench handle
This 48″ Seymour trenching shovel is a well-made tool that has a head designed with a turn step in front for better shoveling.
Its users find the steps with rear roll especially useful for clean out and digging, but they also note that it is not ideal for digging large areas.
This Seymour trenching shovel has a 5 inch wide blade for easy use in narrow trenches. It is another solid option to consider if you are looking for an efficiently build shovel that is both durable effective.
- Very effective in trenching edging pavers, removing large and small rocks
- Durable design
- Steel shank and fiberglass handle without rivets makes it strong and sturdy to use
- Narrow shovel head takes longer time for digging in larger spaces
- Design does not withstand digging in areas hardened by drought
This steel trenching shovel from Ames is a uniquely designed trenching shovel that is very effective for digging narrow trenches.
Its users find the 47″ tempered-steel handle sturdy to use, but also note that it is not very effective in compacted soil.
The blade is v-shaped for easy digging especially when you need a narrow enough trench like as in laying conduit of phone cables. This Razor Back trenching shovel could be a good choice to consider if you are looking for a trenching shovel with a steel frame and solid functionality.
- Is very useful for transplanting plants
- Blade is sturdy and handle is structured well to ensure easy handling
- The blade handle junction is strong enough to withstand any break
- Applying pressure using your foot is difficult as the blade does not have any foot hold
- Hard or compact soil conditions like rocky or clay soil are difficult to work on using this shovel