The 5 Best Tie Dye Kits [Ranked]
Top5Reviewed is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Tie-dye kits are offer a great way of artistically engaging children, providing a fun and healthy outlet for their creativity (Source).
Adults, as well, find them a fun crafts project- a creative means of bonding with young children (Source).
The different kits we examined ship with instructions, in addition to gloves and rubber bands, to provide you an all-in-one tie-dying kit (Source).
They're frequently purchased to entertain children during slumber parties, camping trips, family reunions and the like (Source).
Check out the comparison table below to see how many 'projects' (adult-sized t-shirt, for example) each kit can create- you may want to purchase more than one for a large group.
Our Top Pick: The Tulip 18-Color Tie-Dye Kit
This 18-color tie dye kit ships with tie-dye supplies sufficient for a party of up to 6 people. It includes 18 squeeze bottles containing the nontoxic coloring.
All you need to do is add water to activate- you don't have to pre-soak fabrics in soda ash before dying them.
The dyes are best used on 100% natural fiber fabrics like rayon, wool, and cotton.
Buyers we spoke with told us that it's an easy and fun tie-dying kit, though it's recommended you check out some YouTube videos prior to purchase to make sure you get it right the first time.
Reviewers say best results were achieved by dampening the clothing to be dyed first, then twisting/binding them up. This makes it simpler to get really tight folds that make the resulting design look cleaner and less messy.
- Our Top Pick: The Tulip 18-Color Tie-Dye Kit
- Comparing The Kits
- Best Tie Dye Kits For 2021
- What Are Buyers Saying?
Best Tie Dye Kits For 2021
This tie-dye kit offered by Tulip is a good option for someone who needs tie-dye supplies for a party of 6 people. Users love the vibrancy and versatility of the colors, but some do complain about them fading after washing.
This product features 18 easy-squeeze bottles of highly-concentrated non-toxic one-step dyes in popular colors. All you need to do is add water to activate the die. The kit includes step-by-step technique guide which features over 8 tie-dye looks to choose from. Dyes are safe to machine wash which is great because colors stay bright and bold through repeated washings. This 8-color tie-dye kit seems like a good choice if you are looking for a fun and easy way of dying your clothes.
The general user consensus concerning the Tulip tie dye kit is that it is well worth the money. Buyers are very satisfied with the variety of colors which are very bright and vibrant. One happy purchaser shares that the kit includes everything you need – a big clear plastic cover, tons of rubber bands, gloves and bottles with pre-measured dye.
However, some buyers complain about the colors fading a lot after washing the dyed fabric. One dissatisfied purchaser complains about bottles being messy. He adds that some of them leaked from the threads even with the caps properly fastened onto the bottle.
- Well worth the money
- Variety of bright and vibrant colors
- Kit includes everything you need
- Some buyers say colors fade a lot after washing
This tie-dye kit offered by Jacquard is a good option for someone who wants to create colorful, groovy tie-dye shirts. Users like that the dye kit contains good quality colors, but do complain about the amount that you get.
This product can tie-dye 15 adult-size shirts and makes a fantastic group activity. It features vinyl gloves, rubber bands and 1/3 lb. of soda ash dye fixer, plus instructions and how-to DVD. This Jacquard tie-dye kit might be a good choice if you are looking for a fun group activity prop.
In general, users have a very high opinion of the Jacquard tie-dye kit, saying that the colors are of professional quality. One happy purchaser says the kit provides you with all the things you need for a fun experience.
However, some buyers complain about the amount of the colors, emphasizing that you can’t dye 15 adult-size shirts as it’s advertised. One dissatisfied user complains about the rubber bands being too small.
- Professional quality
- Kit includes everything you need
- Not enough for 15 adult-size shirts
- Complaints of too small rubber bands
This tie-dye kit offered by Phoenix is a solid option for those who need a cheap tie-dye kit with three primary colors. Users love the vibrancy of the colors and the price, but some do complain about the fact that you get only three colors.
This kit includes six colorful designs, three fiber-active colors (turquoise, yellow and fuchsia), eighteen rubber bands and three latex gloves. It features vibrant and bright colors that are fade-resistant. If you are looking for primary colors that won’t bleed and which are perfect for cotton fabrics, this 3-color tie-dye kit might be a solid option.
In general, users have a favorable opinion of this tie-dye kit, stating that it is well worth the money. One satisfied purchaser says that the kit comes with many rubber bands, a very helpful pamphlet, and 3 gloves. Another one states that the colors are amazingly vibrant.
However, several purchasers are dissatisfied with the fact that you have to mix the three primary colors that you get in order to get other desired colors.
- Vibrant colors
- Well worth the money
- Many rubber bands and 3 gloves
- Only three primary colors
If you are looking for a top-rated tie-dye kit, you might want to consider this kaleidoscope one-step tie-dye kit offered by I Love To Create. Users love the variety of vivid colors that are included in the set, but one does complain about them having looked faded from the beginning.
This product contains twelve squeeze bottles and sixteen protective gloves. It features 1.86 oz. of dye which is great because you can create up to 36 tie-dye projects with this wonderfully colorful kit. The colors look the most vibrant on fibers such as cotton, rayon, and silk. This kaleidoscope tie-dye kit could be a good choice if you are looking for a multi-color tie-dye kit.
In general, buyers are very satisfied with the number of colors that you get to choose from I Love To Create tie-dye kit. They state that the colors are strong and vivid, especially when used with soda ash. One user advises making sure you have a large dropcloth because the one that comes with the set is pretty small.
However, one buyer complains about the poor quality of the kit, saying that the colors have looked faded from the very beginning.
- Many colors to choose from
- Strong and vivid colors
- Some buyers say complain of faded looking colors
If you are looking for a tie-dye set, you might want to consider this tie-dye party kit offered by Tulip. Users love the multitude of bright non-fading colors, but some do complain about not enough dye in the bottles.
This product features a reusable plastic storage bin stocked with 18 easy-squeeze bottles. The set includes 14 popular colors that stay bright and bold through repeated washings. If you are looking for a party tie-dye kit, this might be a good option.
In general, users have a favorable opinion of this Tulip one-step tie-dye party kit, and they praise the multitude of colors and the fact that they are bright and stay almost unchanged after washing. One happy user shares that she really liked the instructions which give you different techniques for folding your fabric so you get a different outcome each time. Another one says that the kit includes everything you need for a fun activity.
However, some buyers complain about the bottles holding too little dye. One dissatisfied purchaser shares that she wouldn’t recommend this for a group activity as the “36 projects” description on the packaging is very misleading.
- Multitude of colors
- Bright non-fading colors
- Kit includes everything you need
- Not enough dye for a an extra-large group activity
What Are Buyers Saying?
The Tulip One Step Kit
The first tie-dye kit we examined manufactured by Tulip- it is the One Step 18-colored tie-dye kit. It is marketed to provide tie-dying supplies for up to six people at a time, shipping with 18 different squeezable bottles of non-toxic colors.
As well, it ships with a robust technical guide, helping you to color your clothing, ensuring they withstand repeated machine washings. They lay out a pretty simple process of tie-dying, saying that you just need to prep and twist the cloth by scrunching up the damp fabric, binding it with rubber bands, applying and mixing the dye, and then letting it sit inside of a sealed plastic bag for the dyes to set.
- Buyers say that each of the bottles lasts for only one use, saying that once they are opened they dry up and become weak.
- Another reviewer said that once the dye is mixed, one reviewer said that it was still usable after a weeks time.
- One family who purchased the kit for a children's slumber party says that they watched a bunch of YouTube videos about tie-dying clothes prior to starting, and ended up being pleasantly surprised by the outcome- though they wish the kit had shipped with different-sized rubber bands.
- Other reviewers say that it made it simple for children to tie-dye their boxers, T-shirts, and socks, saying it produced vibrantly colored clothing that amused everybody.
- Parents say they purchased some cheap undershirts from their local Walmart and did all of their artwork outside, pleased that there was such a variety of different colors to choose from.
- One teacher told us that they worked better than expected, saying that the included rubber bands, plastic covers, and gloves were a thoughtful inclusion that made it easier for the whole class to get involved without making a huge mess.
The Jacquard Tie-Dying Set
The second tie-dye kit we examined is manufactured by Jacquard. It's designed to create groovy-colored clothing, equipped to work on up to 15 adult-sized T-shirts, a great group activity for children and adults alike. The colors arrive pre-mixed made from Procion MX dye.
The dyes are intended to be used on natural fabrics and cotton, employing primary colors of dye powder contained inside of applicator bottles. The included colors are red, yellow and blue- you'll receive a bottle of each. Helpfully, a DVD is included, which can be a real help if you want to do it right the first time.
- Some buyers say that you want to purchase extra gloves if you're working with a bunch of people and they also say that if you really want the colors to your pop brilliantly you can handle five shirts at a time with this kit.
- One grandparent told us it was the perfect supervised activity to entertain small children, saying that she got a rigorous workout in her forearms from wringing the T-shirts.
The Phoenix Tie-Dying Set
The third tie-dye kit we examined his manufactured by Phoenix- it's advertised as a means of dying up to six shirts at a time. The included instructions will guide you regarding how to create different and unique designs and ships with three different blends of colors- yellow, fuchsia and turquoise blue, all inside of three applicator bottles.
- One reviewer said it makes sense to wash the shirts prior to tie-dying, saying that as a result it will make the colors appear brighter and more vibrant.
- One reviewer told us that it was fine art project to conduct with her five-year-old granddaughter.
- She says that shipped with enough rubber bands to bind off different color areas, shipped with a useful instruction guide, and the three pairs of gloves were sufficient for a two person team.
- She does advise that you purchase a bunch of these kits for multiple projects.
- Another home craftsperson told us that a single kit did five adult- sized T-shirts, saying that the bigger the shirt the more dye it uses, obviously.
The Kaleidoscope Tie-Dying Set
The fourth tie-dye kit we examined was the 70 piece I Love To Create Kaleidoscope kit. It ships with 12 different squeeze bottles, 16 protective gloves, enabling you to create up to 36 different tie-dying projects.
- One buyer who was tasked with providing entertainment for a group of middle school aged girls says this inexpensive kit was the best option to keep them engaged and amused, instead of staring at their mobile phones or watching television.
- The way they did it, they let the tie-dyed T-shirts sit outside under the sun for eight hours inside of the Ziploc bags to allow the coloring to set.
The Tulip Party Kit
The last option we examined is the Tulip Party kit- it ships inside of a handy plastic storage bin and is designed to work for up to 36 different projects. The manufacturers say that because of how their dyes are designed, you won't need to presoak any of the fabrics with soda ash prior to beginning.
As well, they indicated that purchasing a bunch of these tie-dye party kits can help provide family entertainment during school events, summer camps, family reunions, children's birthday parties and other group activities where children need to be engaged in a fun, artistic project.
The way they work, all you need to do is add some water to the different dye bottles, shake them up, and then apply them- scrunching, twisting and binding them with the runner bands into different color patterns.
- One reviewer said they were able to tie-dye 12 different pairs of pants.
- Another school room teacher purchased it for a class of middle school students saying that everything was included inside of the party tub, and all the children had a ton of fun using the party kit to create different colored clothing.
We are a team of product researchers that specializes in assembling comprehensive buying guides. Our team has a variety of backgrounds, with a mixture of soft and hard sciences represented. Check out our About page to read more about our reviews and editorial process.