The 5 Best Desi TV Boxes [List]
In this post, we examined five of the best-selling desi tv boxes.
What Is Desi?
First, the term 'desi' refers to someone who originates from the Indian subcontinent, according to Urban Dictionary.
Geographically, the Indian subcontinent includes the following primary nations: India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, and the Maldives.
As well, the term 'desi', when used by Indians, Bengalis and Pakistanis abroad, it has become a term that mainly identifies a compatriot Indian, Pakistani, Bengali.
If you're in the market for a 'desi TV box', we've rated some of the best options below. These desi TV boxes, as they're popularly known, are a great way to access Hindi, Indian drama & Desi serials- especially streaming content.
The way they work, the Desi TV box is connected to a television and connected to the internet via a wired Ethernet or a WiFi internet connection. They let you browse the internet and stream international video content to your television.
The 5 Best Desi TV Boxes
- T95Z PLUS Smart TV Box running Android 7.1, the newest and most open os, compatible with the vast majority of Android APP, to meet the needs of different users.
- The latest powerful chipset Amlogic Octa-core Speed-T95Z PLUS Android Boxes has 64 bit Octa-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU, up to 2 GHz Ultra high frequency, provides you with ultra-fast running speed and professional graphic processing ability.
- The next generation of our best-selling Fire TV Stick-now with the Alexa Voice Remote.
- Enjoy tens of thousands of channels, apps, and Alexa skills with access to over 500,000 movies and TV episodes from Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, HBO, SHOWTIME, NBC, and more. Plus, access millions of websites such as YouTube, Facebook, and Reddit with browsers like Silk and Firefox.
- Android TV 6.0, Quad-core Processor, 4K HDR Support, WiFi/Dolby/DTS RAM 2GB, ROM 8GB with Bluetooth.
- HDMI 2.0a is a faster way to send video and audio output to your TV. With up to 18Gbps speeds, it significantly improves picture and sound quality, making MI Box perfect for watching 4K Ultra HD and HDR video content.
- A Sweet Update to Nougat: GooBang Doo ABOX MAX TV box runs on the latest Android 7.1.2 OS which adds a handful of new features as well as optimization and bug fixesrather than being radically different from the Marshmallow 6.0 version. With GooBang Doo's sleekest user interfaceyou can quickly find and enjoy the entertainment you are in the mood for
- New Generation Multimedia SoC: Powered by Amlogic Quad core A53 processor running at 2.0 GHzit's fast enough to run video flawlessly. With a Mali 450MP3 GPU focusing on maximizing processing efficiencyit features high end video playback capabilities
- Original from GooBang Doo, XB-III Android 7.1 TV box has added newest feature 3DB antenna that supports IEEE 802.11 B/G/N which is more than 4 times faster than others, no freezing and buffering any more.
- It provides plentiful room 2GB RAM 16GB ROM to quickly start your apps and games. You can also add an extra TF card to expand storage up to 32GB, which improves the reliability of your XB-III TV box and prevents crashes due to lack of memory.
AliExpress also has a variety of desi tv boxes available for purchase:
What Is A TV Box & How Does It Work
A TV box, aka set-top box, is a device used to connect a television to an external source signal thus compressing digital signal into TV content in a form that can be displayed on the television screen.
The set top box receives both the sounds and images provided by analog and digital content which include internet pages, electronic program guides, and subtitles among others.
The device enables users to access digital television programs on existing broadcast channels and engage education, digital entertainment, and commercial activity through the network.
The device's popularity has skyrocketed in the past few years. The devices come in the shape of a small box, and most are usually 5 inches wide and 2 inches tall, but some are much smaller than that.
These set-top boxes have the capability of turning any television into a smart TV with an extensive range of options.
They allow the users to stream television shows or movies from their favorite streaming websites, such as Genesis, Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, etc.
How Does A Set-Top Box Work?
- Before using the unit, you should first connect it to your television and then set up the internet connection via WIFI or Ethernet cable.
- After the box is connected to your screen and the internet, you can now install any applications. For instance, you can install YouTube app to stream YouTube videos.
- Most of these units use an Android operating system which runs on ARM-based processors which make it a great match for any device operating on the same hardware but gives better input and output options.
- The device can convert HDMI to TV thus giving the user a high definition viewing experience. It can also use a keyboard, remote control or a mouse for input.
What Can An Android TV Box Do?
Android television boxes are often used to stream content to users by allowing them to watch their favorite movies and broadcast programs on demand and additionally they offer the functionality of most standard computers.
You can install a variety of Android applications and perform various tasks from checking the weather to creating a document.
What Types Of Android Boxes Are Available?
These units come in all sizes, shapes and pricing tags. Just like computers, android tv boxes hardware is continuously updated to offer the users best viewing experience.
Both the low-cost budget and the high-end units are packed with the latest fastest hardware.
Each device comes with its unique setup process as the manufacturers modify the hardware android code to fit their machines. In short, different units have different hardware specifications and features.
Most come with a limited internal hard drive space, but luckily the storage space can be expanded by use of flash drives and micro-SD cards.
The high-end models give sufficient internal hard drive storage, but of course, you will have to dig deep into your pocket to get them from your local store shelves.
Low-end units are popular because they are cheap and ideal for starters for they require some skills to set up and operate.
What Is 'Desi' Culture?
Desi is a generalized term for the people, cultures and the products of South Asia and their diaspora. The term traces its origin to the Ancient Sanskrit Desa (Sanskrit is the main liturgical language of Hinduism) meaning land or country. Countries termed as Desi countries are India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh.
While the original Sanskrit word (Desa) meant country over the years, the meaning changed to refer to cultures, people, and the products of the Indian subcontinent. Today phrases such as desi dress, desi food, and desi calendars are commonly used.
Desi often contrasts with the lingua franca of Pakistan and India (Hindustani language) word vilayati in English known as “Blighty” which initially alluded to Britain but today used as a general term to anything that is Western or European. South Asians living in Europe and other western countries often refer to themselves and their cultures as desi.
After the enactment of the Immigration & Nationality Act of 1965, the US significantly increased the number of immigrants from South Asia accepted in the country.
This led to a rise in the number of immigrants from Indian subcontinent that arrived in the United Kingdom and the United States and also saw the birth of the slang word “Desi” in these western countries. The natives of UK and US referred all things Indian including the Indian immigrant to as Desi.
Some second or third generation immigrants don’t associate themselves as belonging to a particular subculture, nation or caste. They consider themselves plain desis or just South Asians especially as intermarriage between distinct Asian diaspora communities increases.
Desi Culture: Arts, food, and drinks
In the US and some other western countries, the South Asian immigrants have created a fusion culture in which music; fashion, foods, and cultures of South Asia are fused with each other and with elements of the Western culture. Urban desi is an excellent example of this fusion. It is a combination of traditional Indian music and western urban music.
In the United Kingdom, the desi communities have continued to embrace fusion culture which first started during the reign of British Raj. The fusion influences music, fashion, art, and food. The UK desis are now devoted radio station serving such as BBC Asian Network.
The Natya Shastra generally categorizes a variety of musical elements and folk dance as desi. It further states that these are often intended for pure entertainment, but the pan-Indian margi elements are meant for spiritual enlightenment. The Middle Ages the evolution of the classical Indian music and dancer led to the invention of desi gharanas which eventually evolved into present-day adavus.
In India and some parts of Pakistan, in reference to food- desi refers to traditional or native. A good example is “desi ghee” the conventional clarified butter used in Pakistan and India.
Desi chicken refers to the native breed of chicken. Some varieties of vegetables and other farm products are also referred to as desi.
For example, desi diet refers to food choices and diet consumed by Indians around the globe. In North America, desi food or desi cuisine refers to the dishes served by the North Indian Communities.
Popular Desi Shows
- Aadat Se Majboor
- Crime Patrol Season 4
- Ek Deewaana Tha
- Family Time With Kapil Sharma
- Jai Kanhaiya Laal Ki
- Jijaji Chhat Per Hain
- Jiji Maa
- Kaal Bhairav Rahasya
- Kya Haal Mr. Panchaal
- Mayavi Maling
- Mere Sai
- Nimki Mukhiya
- Om Shanti Om
- Prithvi Vallabh
- Rishta Likhenge Hum Naya
- Saam Daam Dand Bhed
- Saat Pheron Ki Hera Pheri
- Sab Khelo Sab Jeeto Season 2
- Sab Tv
- Sab TV Awards & Concerts
- Sajan Re Phir Jhoot Mat Bolo
- Savdhaan India
- Shrimaan Shrimati Phir Se
- Sony TV Awards & Concerts
- Sony TV Completed Shows
- Star Bharat
- Star Bharat Completed Shows
- Star Bharat Online
- Super Dancer Chapter 2
- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
- Tenali Rama
- Vighnaharta Ganesh
- Yeh Pyaar Nahi Toh Kya Hai
- Yeh Un Dinon Ki Baat Hai
Understanding Desi Culture in America
This Desi American YouTuber explains that how it felt to grow up in Colorado.
She says that, for those of you who don't know, she was born in Pakistan, Lahore, Pakistan - and she came to the U.S. at six months old.
She came to Colorado when she was 6 to 8 months old and started life there- saying that she's had a lot of experiences becoming an adult in a household where her parents are generally Pakistani oriented.
She says additionally since she was raised Muslim that made things a little challenging. It's an interesting video that provides some insight into the Desi-American experience, particularly in the great north west of America.