The 5 Best External CD/DVD Drives [Ranked]
Top5Reviewed is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The external CD/DVD drives we examined are all USB-powered readers and burners (Source).
They're often purchased as portable optical drive solutions or to complement newer computers and laptops that lack an integrated CD/DVD drive (Source).
Buyers commonly employ them to backup media, install CD/DVD-based software, and perform digital-archiving tasks (Source).
How They Compare
Our top Windows pick, based on the user feedback we've examined, the Rioddas CD/DVD external drive can read/burn CDs (using Windows Media Player, for example), but only read, not burn, DVDs.
Our top Macintosh pick is the VersionTech external drive (see video below).
Our Top Windows Pick: The Rioddas External CD/DVD Drive
- Plug & play. Easy to use,powered by USB port. No external driver and Power needed. Just plug it into your USB port and the DVD driver will be detected
One buyer purchased it because his laptop didn't have a CD drive.
They needed to install some business software that was only available on a CD.
He was surprised that that the external drive didn't require any additional software.
This was strictly plug and play- he plugged it into a USB port, the laptop recognized it, and it booted up right away.
Rioddas Video Overview
Our Top Macintosh Pick: The VersionTech External CD/DVD Drive
- 【UNIVERSAL COMPATIBLE SYSTEM】- Compatible with MAC OS Windows 98 / SE / ME / 2000 / XP / Vista / Windows7/ 8/ 10/ Linux OS. Specially designed for MacBook, Ultrabook, Laptop or desktop, PC without internal drive. NOTE: NOT compatible for Chromebook tablets ,ipad, Blu-ray Discs and surface,car, cellphone projector
Buyers say that this is a light-weight and attractive-looking, Mac USB-CD/DVD burner. It's purely plug and play, without having to install or download any software.
It effectively works with both DVDs and CDs (not Blu-rays)- for both playing and burning purposes.
The VersionTech Video Overview
- How They Compare
- Our Top Windows Pick: The Rioddas External CD/DVD Drive
- Our Top Macintosh Pick: The VersionTech External CD/DVD Drive
- Comparing Them
- Best CD/DVD External Drives For 2022
- What Are Buyers Saying?