The 5 Best String Trimmers [Ranked]
Top5Reviewed is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A string trimmer is a tool that is used to cut grass by rapidly rotating a flexible wire or cord (Source). They come in gas, battery and electric (corded options).
Designed to cut the grass and weeds where a mower is unable to reach, they are primarily used to cut the edges of an area, especially the grass that is close to objects such as fences. It’s also great to use for irregular terrain (Source).
To function, string trimmers use a motor that’s powered by either gasoline, electricity or batteries to rapidly spin microfilament string (Source).
The string spins fast enough that it becomes so stiff that it is able to cut through grass and weeds.
String trimmer reviews reveal that many buyers not only find their string trimmers necessary but also have fun using them (Source).
One buyer also suggested that if you have a battery string trimmer, you should charge the battery every now and then even if you don’t use it regularly as this will help to maintain the life of the battery.
Our Top Pick: The Black & Decker Battery-Powered String Trimmer
How To Use A String Trimmer
- Perform any required assembly according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Dress appropriately (long pants and closed toe shoes)
- Wear protective eye gear and thick gloves
- Engage your string trimmer’s power source (plug in, attach battery, add fuel)
- To cut the grass along fences or other obstructions, hold the string trimmer as level as possible to ensure flat and even grass.
- To cut the grass along a flower bed, hold the string trimmer in a vertical position.
- Don’t use your string trimmer right against a tree as it can damage and even kill the tree. Using something like mulch around your tree’s base can solve this issue.
- Depending on your string trimmer, you may need to do something such as bump the string trimmer on the ground to feed more string out. Some have auto feed features, but check your user manual for instructions specific to your string trimmer.
- Install new microfilament string as needed.