The 5 Best Sticker Maker Machines [Ranked]
So, you want to make your own customized stickers?
You're probably in the market for a sticker maker.
These sticker creator machines are used to create both plain and decorated stickers.
Stickers are fun home, crafts projects- particularly for young children who enjoy printing their own unique designs.
They can be stuck to cars, skateboards, bumpers, notebooks, even used as custom post-it notes for the family.
Our Top Pick: The Xyron Create-a-Sticker Machine
Below, we've ranked some of the best-selling decal machines.
- It's marketed for scrapbook hobbyists and ideal for creating labels, tags and photographic greeting cards.
- The way it works, it will applly an edge-to-edge adhesive to flat items up to 5-inches wide. This includes paper, photos, ribbons and more
- It doesn't require any electricity, batteries or heat.
Comparing The Options
- Replaces messy glues and other adhesives
- A must have portable adhesive solution for crafters, moms, teachers and more
- Perfect for making scrapbook pages, photo greeting cards, labels, tags and more
- Applies an edge-to-edge adhesive to flat items up to 5-inches wide including paper, photos, ribbons and more
- Xyron-Adjustable 9 Inch Creative Station
- The New Creative Station Was Designed To Take Up Less Space On A Desk With Its Compact Style And Folding Crank Handle
- Lightweight, portable machine to apply edge-to-edge adhesive to items up to 2.5 inches wide and 1/16 inch thick
- Small, compact design that takes up less space and uses the same refills as the older models 2.5 inch Create-A-Sticker and XRN250
- Convenient Disposable Sticker Maker
- Components can be recycled
If you have never bought this device or even used one, where do you start from?
Stay put as this article is going to give you some vital information that you should know about these vinyl decal tools.
How Do They Work?
The working mechanism of a sticker maker is not complicated.
The primary role of this machine is to apply an adhesive material on the back of a medium that will be used as a sticker.
To use it, you need to place the medium at the starting point of the device. You then turn the machine’s handle so that it can roll the medium through the machine.
This embellishment will be ejected from the other side of the machine and its surface will be fully coated with the adhesive. The other side of the medium will be adhesive-free.
Our Favorite Brands
|The Makers||Brands||Our Rating||Blurb|
|Xyron XRN500EN 5 Inch Create-a-Sticker Machine||Xyron||4.2||For making permanent or removable acid free|
|Xyron 100012 Teresa Collins Sticker Maker||Xyron||4.7||1-1/2-inch comes loaded with twenty feet of permanent adhesive|
|Xyron 624740 Creative Station Lite (5 Inch with 3 Inch Option)||Xyron||4.2||... creative projects. This handy accepts two different sized ...|
|Xyron 100111 Disposable/Recyclable Sticker Maker, 3-Inch||Xyron||4.1||Convenient Disposable|
|Xyron Acid-Free Permanent Adhesive Refill Cartridge for the XRN150 1.5-inch X Sticker Maker, 20-feet||Xyron||4.7||Create unique and personal out of any item up to 1.5" wide|
|Brother ScanNCut CM100DM Home and Hobby Cutting Machine with a Built-in Scanner||Brother Sewing||Connect a PC via USB cable to the ScanNCut2 . USB cable not included.|
|Small World Toys Creative - Sticker Frenzy Art Kit||Small World Toys||1||Manufacturer recommended age: 6 - 10 Years|
There are different types of sticker makers and each type has a distinct working mechanism.
For instance, you won’t have to turn the handle for the machines that are powered by electricity.
These devices are designed to make stickers of different shapes.
Some of the popular designs include ribbon, die cuts and chipboard. The choice of the shape is always determined by the intended purpose of the sticker.
If you intend to use the vinyl stickers for more decorative roles, you may go for fancier shapes. It is also possible to get die cut vinyl stickers that have designs of numbers and alphabets.
A sticker maker uses adhesive and once it is finished, you need to refill it regularly.
There are two types of adhesives that you can use on these machines.
You should choose either a re-positionable adhesive or a permanent one. The nature of your project will determine the type of adhesive that you should put in the machine.
If you want the sticker to remain on a surface until the next century, you should refill the device with a permanent adhesive. Temporary adhesives come in handy when you want to replace the stickers after a short while.
With plenty of these machines on the market, how do you end up choosing the best one? Here are the main factors that you should consider when purchasing a sticker maker.
- Size: You need to take into account the length and the width of the device. The nature of your work will determine the size of the machine that you should buy. If you intend to get stickers for large items, you will get a big machine that will do the job efficiently. Small and medium-sized machined are ideal for standard stickers. Keep in mind that it is the width of the machine that determines the size that you should get. not the length.
- Portability: If you intend to move the device from one point to another regularly, consider getting a small machine. If you plan to keep the machine at a fixed position, it won’t hurt to get a sizable one.
- Cost: As expected, your financial capacity will have a big impact in determining the type of sticker that you should get. There is a wide variation in prices among these machines. It is critical that you buy the one that fits your budget.
- Mode of operation: When it comes to operation, you need to choose between a manually-operated machine and an electric one. Manual makers are simple to use and are also cost-efficient. They are also not a risk to other people, especially kids. The only issue is they are time-consuming. Electric makers encourage more productivity and need less supervision. However, you will have to dig deeper into your pockets to maintain them.
- Online Reviews: It does not hurt to seek opinions from other buyers. Check the reviews from various websites and see what other people are saying about different types of makers. Buy a device that has lots of positive reviews while at the same time shun those with poor ratings.
With this guide, you should not have any trouble when buying your next sticker maker. Whichever model that you get, ensure that take a good care of it so that it serves you for long.
Our Favorite Brands
The Klutz Brand
- Includes Klutz custom Puffy Sticker Maker.
- Material to make 60 stickers.
One of our favorite brands of sticky makers comes from Klutz.
Reading over their marketing material, they say that includes enough material for you and your family to build 60 individual stickers. As well, you’ll get a detailed instruction manual so that you can figure out how to get the best bang for your buck with this model.
Lots of users endorse searching out YouTube videos where crafting and DIY professionals demonstrate how to best use this tool.
On the other hand, there was some divided feedback among recent customers.
One buyer said that they were unhappy with the construction of the sticker material – specifically that it is constructed with a Tyvek material. On the plus side, it makes them more tear resistant, but it also diminishes their appearance, making them somewhat dull and listless looking.
Another issue, you have to be very precise when you cut them because if you end up damaging the seal between the sticky back, foam and picture, the sticker itself will be ruined. This is especially problematic if you’re dealing with younger children that aren’t good wielding a pair of scissors.
Another criticism was that getting it to adhere tightly was difficult- you need to apply a lot of force, and it might be that an adult will need to supervise that process because children just aren’t strong enough to do it on their own.
This means that if you’re looking for a fun and easy home crafting project, you might want to explore a different set – buyers really were unimpressed with the finished product, especially considering how complex and strenuous the sticker creation process was.
However, another DIY hobbyist said that they were moderately happy with the purchase. They say that if you’re looking to make puffy stickers, in particular, it ships with all of the different components you’ll need, except for scissors, crayons or markers.
She comments that when they first started using the machine, they ended up trimming way too closely and the results were not great. Another buyer said that they were somewhat confused about the suitable age range- saying that it’s probably best used for tweenage young girls, and she did have some trouble using it with her own 11-year-old girl.
The Playcrafts Brand
- Set includes: Sticker Machine
- 1 tape feeding plate
The other brand that produces a sticker maker machine is Playcrafts. Again, buyers provided somewhat mixed reviews.
One reviewer said that they purchased it for their daughter, expecting it to be difficult to operate, and found that the unit works well, doesn’t bend or jam.
They recommend reviewing the included instructions prior to printing out some stickers – even consulting YouTube videos to get a comprehensive overview of how best to employ this gadget.
However, a frustrated grandmother says that they’re constantly having to unjam the stickers, making it a frustrating process for both adult and child. Another buyer says that their six-year-old child is in love with the machine, but as the supervising adult, they’re constantly having to fight jams in the machine.
We also say that a lot of the stickers get wrinkled in the printing process- this wastes of a ton of the sticker paper. They recommend using a clear masking tape as a replacement.
The Crayola Brand
- The Silly Scents Sticker Set Includes: Sticker Maker, 10 Line Art Sheets, 20 Adhesive Sheets, 6 Silly Scents Mini Markers, 3 Scent Sticks, and Instructions
- Turn Virtually Anything Into A Custom Sticker!
Crayola also makes their own model – it’s called the Crayola Sticker Design Studio. It ships with stencil sheets, foam sticker sheets, pre-cut sticker sheets and tempera paints.
It’s marketed as an exceptional gift idea for children aged 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12.
Examining their marketing materials, Crayola promotes it as a fun crafts project to decorate your kid’s toys and gear.
One frustrated grandmother says that she found it difficult to use and her granddaughter ended up making a huge mess of the paint. Another reviewer said that their first try was difficult and that they are coordinating for a second DIY attempt the following weekend.
Other reviewers say that it was a well-received Christmas present, but there was some difficulty getting the stickers to actually stick without making a huge mess.