The 5 Best Sitz Baths Reviewed
A sitz bath is designed to fit over your toilet and provide a shallow and warm soak to help clean and soothe the perineum (Healthline). The perineum is the space located between your rectum and either your scrotum or vulva.
Many people purchase a sitz bath just for personal hygiene, but most look to it to provide relief from itching or pain in their genital regions (VeryWell).
The sitz baths we look at below are designed to be fitted over your toilet.
Some of the benefits of a sitz bath include its ability to boost blood circulation to the perineal region. Doing this will help with healing, whether it is related to pregnancy issues or surgical recoveries. Other users find that it is effective at relieving minor pains, itching, and irritation, particularly associated with hemorrhoids (Healthline).
Indeed, many of the buyers we spoke with said that the primary reasons they purchased their sitz baths was because they had surgery on their vagina or vulva; they had recently given birth; they suffer from hemorrhoid discomfort or recently had hemorrhoid surgery; and they have difficulty with uncomfortable bowel movements (WedMD).
Our Top Pick: The Carex Sitz Bath
One buyer we interview told us that he had recently undergone a hemorrhoidectomy and a rectal fistulotomy. They told us that this Carex sitz bath is particularly strong and secure, able to endure multiple daily uses over the course of several weeks, easily working with elongated (oblong) and standard toilets.
Another buyer who frequently travels for work purchased this Carex sitz bath and says that it was an ideal, mobile solution for pain relief on the road.
Yet another purchaser we interviewed says that he is slightly overweight, but found that the Carex sitz bath didn't wobble when he used it, even on his oblong toilet. You can purchase one at your local pharmacy, or shop online for the best price.
How to take a sitz bath
They are essentially shallow and round basins that are fitted with a tube attached to a plastic bag on the end. This bag will be filled with warm water so that you can easily fill up the sitz bath with the tubing. Or you can just fill it with a water pitcher that includes some doctor-approved healing solvents.
The Top 5 Sitz Baths
This sitz bath offered by Nova Medical is easy-to-clean, comfortable and useful for relieving discomfort and pain. Users love the price and the design, but some do note that it’s smaller than they expected. This sitz bath kit measures 14.8” x 5” x 15”, and it has a weight of 1 pound, a convenient on/off control clip, and the package includes a 2000 ml solution bag.
This sitz bath would fit most standard toilets, and it’s an excellent solution for anyone that wants a portable sitz bath for his home.
Overall, users are pleased with the functionality and performance of the Nova Medical sitz bath, and they praise its design and sturdiness. A buyer comments that the Nova sitz bath is easy-to-fill and that he doesn’t worry about spilling water everywhere or overflowing. Another happy customer mentions that this sitz bath fits her oblong toilet seat without any problems and that it works wonderfully for her.
She would recommend it to any woman searching for a sitz bath for Bartholin cyst. A satisfied purchaser also states that this sitting bath is a necessity for anyone suffering from hemorrhoids and that he is very impressed with its quality and price.
However, some customers have complained that this bath is not comfortable at all and that it often overflows onto the floor. Some also note that it’s not very suitable for elongated toilet and that the basin arrived cracked.
- On/off control clip
- A solution bag
- Fits standard toilets
- Might not fit an oblong seat
- Slightly uncomfortable
If you are looking for a way to relieve rectal or perineal pain, you might take a look at this graphite sitz bath offered by Medline. Users love the color, but some do note that the plastic is not very durable and cracks quickly. This sitz bath kit measures 14.5” x 14.5” x 4.5”, and it has a weight of 9 ounces, shut off clamps to control the flow and a 2000 ml solution bag that can be hung from any fixture.
The bag is also imprinted with instructions on how to make a sitz bath. Overall, this is an excellent choice for anyone that wants to try the sitz bath therapy.
A user comments that his sitz bath arrived fast and in perfect condition. The reviewer also mentions that he doesn’t have any problems with overflowing and that the basin fits his toilet seat perfectly. Another happy buyer states that it’s easy to store the sitz bath away when he is ready because it doesn’t take much space.
A satisfied purchaser also states that this sitting bath is perfect for people who had extensive surgery and that it diminished his pain and discomfort. However, some customers are disappointed by the quality of the sitz bath and they complain that it was packed inadequately. Some also note that the bath doesn’t fit well an elongated toilet.
- Graphite color
- Shut off clamps
- A solution bag
- Instructions for use
- Poor quality
- Cracks easily
- Inadequate packing
- Problems with elongated toilets
This sitz bath kit offered by Carex Health is light, comfortable and practical. Users love that the bath is convenient and easy-to-use, but some do note that their basin arrived poorly packed and looked used.
This sitz bath measures 15 x 14.5 x 4.2 inches with a weight of 9 ounces, and it has wide contoured edges for added comfort, vents to prevent overflowing, a 2qt solution bag, a 2.1 qt basin, and 5ft tube. It will fit most standard commodes, and it’s an excellent solution for after birth care or for hemorrhoid treatment.
In general, users have a favorable opinion regarding the Carex sitz bath, and they praise its design and functionality. A buyer comments that she has been using the bath almost daily for four weeks without any signs of cracking and damage.
She would recommend it to anyone who wants to try sitz baths after birth. Another happy customer mentions that she was skeptical of the qualities of this portable sitz bath, but it turned out that it was far more reliable and sturdier than she expected. A happy client also states that this bath is a blessing to have and that it’s easy to fill and clean it.
However, some customers have complained that the Carex sitz bath is not very comfortable, especially for extensive use and that it’s quite small. Some users are also disappointed that the tube doesn’t stay in place, and they state that the plastic won’t hold well over time.
- Easy to use and clean
- Wide contoured edges
- A solution bag
- A tube
- Made of plastic
- Poorly packed
This medicated sitz bath offered by MLMSY is expensive, well-designed and suitable for pregnant women who would like to avoid squatting. Users love the comfortable design, but some do note that it’s quite small.
The fumigated bidet bath is made of soft, medical polymer that is antibacterial, non-toxic and anti-aging. It’s suitable for multiple modes of toilets – from small to large, and it has extra SPA functions – a bubble generator, and a flusher to achieve a smoked effect. Overall, this is a product of high-quality, suitable for anyone that wants to get rid of discomfort and pain.
As a whole, users have a mixed opinion regarding this fumigation medicated bath. A happy buyer comments that the edges are soft and it’s very comfortable to sit on the basin even for long hours. The reviewer also states that he likes the soothing bubble function and that the bath is definitely worth its price.
Another satisfied client mentions that he feels better after he started to use this compact sitting bath and that he would recommend it to anyone looking for the best portable sitz bath for home. However, some customers have complained that the instructions for use are only in one language and that they are hard to comprehend. One user also notes that his package arrived without a flusher.
- Soft edges
- Made of non-toxic medical polymer
- Fits most toilets
- Extra SPA functions
- Hard to understand instruction
- Missing parts on arrival
This sitting bath kit offered by Lumen is well-made, sturdy, durable and an excellent choice for post-surgical recovery. Users love the size and the price, but some do note that it’s uncomfortable if you have to spend more than 15 minutes sitting on the basin.
This sitz bath kit measures 3” x 15” x 14”, and it has a weight of 6.4 ounces, a graduated water bag imprinted with instructions for use, a tube, and a capacity of 2000 cc. Overall, this is a product of high-quality that is suitable for those that are looking for an inexpensive sitz bath.
Overall, users have a favorable opinion of the Lumex, and they praise its usefulness and practicality. A buyer comments that this is the best sitz bath for hemorrhoids and that it fits nicely over the toilet seat. The reviewer also mentions that the instructions are clearly written and easy to understand.
A satisfied client adds that this sitz bath is compact, light and a nice addition to his traveling kit and that it holds his weight without any signs of cracking. Another happy customer shares that the sitz bath arrived quickly and that the basin holds up to 2 quarts of water. However, the purchaser warns that he didn’t receive the solution bag and the tubing.
Some other customers have also complained that the shape of the basin doesn’t fit the toilet seat properly and one user states that the bath cracked on the first day.
- A solution bag
- Good water capacity
- Slightly uncomfortable
- The basin doesn’t fit all toilets
- Complaints of cracking
What Are Buyers Saying?
In terms of setting it up, buyers advised that you will want to rinse out the bath before you use it, add some warm water and any sort of solutions or medications your physician has recommended, and then place the sitz bath onto the open toilet.
Be a little tentative at first- and make sure that it is securely a fixed before putting your full weight on it. You can either add water to it before you sit on it, or use the plastic bag and it's tubing to fill it up after you've taken a seat.
Ensure sure that the water is deep enough so that it is soaking your perineum. It's advised to sit for 15-20 minutes at a time (WebMD). For elderly users, some buyers said that purchasing toilet safety rails provided an extra-level of support and security for their loved ones. Additionally, toilet seat cushions were often used by hemorrhoid sufferers to help comfortably cushion their toilet use, when not using a sitz bath.
The first sitz bath we took a look at was the Nova Medical sitz bath bath, which the manufacturer says can help to soothe the pain of menstrual cramps, hemorrhoids, prostate or bladder infections, easily fitting to most standard-sized toilets.
- One buyer we spoke to was recovering from surgery, required a sitz bath that would provide a secure seat on her toilet, and was both comfortable to sit on and easy to clean.
- While the hard plastic wasn't incredibly comfortable, since she only needed to sit on it for 10 to 15 minutes at a time, it was bearable.
- All she had to do was fill it with warm water, add some Epsom salts, position it on her toilet seat with the seat up and then sit down.
- Excess water that had overflowed went out through the side vents and into the toilet to prevent a messy cleanup.
- Another buyer says that it does fit elongated toilets, as well as standard round-shaped toilets.
- Another buyer we spoke with suffers from a gland cyst and her gynecologist advised her to take regular sitz bath baths.
- She found them tremendously effective and also advised that if you don't have the time to do a homemade sitz bath in the bathtub and get a strong, soothing soak that way, that purchasing a sitz bath is a convenient way of accomplishing the same result.
- Another buyer says that they mix in some Dead Sea salt with the water and this provides a comforting and pain-relieving bath for her genital region.
Another option we looked at was the Medline sitz bath.
- One buyer told us that it was easier to purchase one of these sitz baths online, rather than risk the embarrassment of purchasing this hemorrhoid-relief aid at a local Walgreens or Walmart.
- This buyer told us that he doesn't use the included bag, instead he just fills up the sitz bath with warm water, and adds some oatmeal bath treatment, and very quickly experiences relief from itching and irritation.
- However, other buyers say that this particular sitz bath has not held up well and begins to crack after several uses.
- For that reason, this is not a recommended sitz bath- it's best to go with one like the Nova Medical sitz bath that hasn't received any durability complaints.
The Carex sitz bath was the third option we examined. Its manufacturers say that it is designed to provide pain and general irritation relief to the genital and anal areas, particularly for post-episiotomy patients.
- A reviewer we interviewed told us that they had purchased one of these sitz baths for an elderly relative to provide hygienic support, as well as pain relief from hemorrhoid and other inflammatory issues in the nether regions.
- In this case, her senior citizen relative wasn't able to use a bathtub to get the positive benefits of a sitz bath, so they opted for a toilet-based sitz bath that was easier for this elderly individual to use.
The MLMSY fumigation bidet was the fourth option we took a look at. This particular sitz bath had some reviewers upset with its Chinese-language instructions and complaints about its durability. Not a recommended option.
The Lumex sitz bath was the last option we took a look at. Buyers say that it is an inexpensive option with a decently sized basin and easy-to-interpret instructions.
- However, some buyers said that if they sit for longer than 15 minutes, they would lose blood flow to their legs and that the water flow through the tubing wasn't strong or smooth.
- Another buyer who was dealing with an extremely distressed hemorrhoid region found that after one 15 minute session on this sitz bath that his inflammation and discomfort was completely relieved.
- Another buyer told us that they actually used it as a vaginal steam, hovering over the water, instead of soaking in it.