What Are Buyers Saying?
The first self-healing cutting mat we examined is provided by Alvin-you'll find it in a variety of different sizes including 24" x 18", 36" x 24" 80" x 40", 96" x 48" and more.
They are 3 mm thick, reversible and designed to be particularly durable because of their vinyl composition that can stand up to sharp utility blades and rotary blades.
Indeed, examining their promotional material, they say that you can slash and cut the mats without them ever evidencing lines or marks. A handy feature is the centering the lines, which means whatever you're working on you'll be able to figure out the perfect center of it.
- One buyer who had purchased a rotary cutter discovered that the included self-healing cutting mat was too small for his purposes so he went online to buy a larger alternative and ended up with this Alvin model.
- He tells us as opposed to other options on the market, this cutting board didn't develop gouges over time.
- Another reviewer who had just purchased a Dewalt workbench wanted to line the top surface of the workstation with a crafts mat. He found this option stuck to the wood, didn't slide and even provided smooth traction for a mouse he used.
- Other buyers found that adding some rubber to their bottoms, particularly shelf-lining style tread, helped to ensure the mat wouldn't budge as they worked on it.
- Other craftspeople found they could create one large work surface by uniting two of these mats together at the same time.
- A professional quilter who works out of her home compliments its hanging feature, its durability, and its adaptability- resisting warping without having any noxious chemical odor.
- Some buyers found that if you move the mat from a warm climate to a cooler one that it gets stiff.
- One craftsperson found that using a heat gun would make it malleable again.
The second self-healing rotary cutting that we examined is provided by Fiskars- it comes in three different sizes and includes bias lines to help you orient your work projects. It's marketed towards buyers who work with fabric and they tell us that in terms of maintenance and care you can hang it up so that it doesn't get bent and wipe it down after use.
- Reviewers, for the most part, are satisfied with this option, telling us that it protects the wood surface of the desks that they've laid it across- though you should be careful when you are soldering that you don't end up burning the mat.
- Fabric cutters praise its healing abilities, the different sizes it comes in, and the helpful metrics that helps orient sewing projects.
- Other reviewers chimed in to say that in terms of long-term maintenance you'll want to clean it up after every use using a damp towel and digging into the cutlines that haven't immediately vanished to remove microscopic lint.
US Art Supply
The third option we examined is provided by US Art Supply- it comes with grid marks for aligning your crafts projects as well as 60° and 45° guidelines. This option is marketed towards artists, craftspeople, and even those who just want a writing surface protects the underlying desk from being damaged.
- One reviewer who has used it for a while tells us that he's primarily employed in conjunction with an X-Acto knife telling us that it's pretty durable but that over time you'll eventually have to replace it.
- Another graphic artist tells us that in shipping it's best if it's shipped flat as opposed to rolled because it can end up warping it.
- One buyer we interviewed was dissatisfied, telling us that they received an irregularly sized mat and that the surface had a distracting glare to it.
The fourth option we examined was the Dahle Vantage cutting mat- it comes in a five different sizes and 3 different colors: black, transparent, and blue. It's built from PVC plastic- five layers of it that are designed to resist rotary cutters, sharp calligraphy instruments, X-Acto knives- really anything at all.
As with the other mats, it has grid lines as well as scale lines to help orient your sewing, quilting and other craft projects. They provide a helpful overview of the different buying criteria- you'll want to see that they are different sizes available, that it has enough sickness for your needs, a surface grid, scale lines and different measurement options.
They also say that it's primary uses includes crafts, cutting, sewing and photography trimming.
- Buyers were impressed with this inexpensive option, telling us that it is a smooth and sturdy solution that ships true to size, unlike other options we've seen that sometimes arrive irregularly shaped.
- Reviewers concur that it provides a smooth cutting experience as opposed to some other options that have a hard and brittle feel to their surfaces.
The last option we examined is provided by Ek Tools. It's marketed towards craftsmen who commonly use retractable craft knives.
Reviewers are impressed, for the most part, saying that even after a year's worth of use with X-Acto knives they can't find any markings on it.
A professional tells us that she invested in a high-quality cutter and mat to perform straight line cuts- she praised the functionality of this lightweight option saying that it has healed well and is simple to operate.