The 5 Best Red Hood Helmets | Plus DIY Pics
Top5Reviewed is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
In this post, we ranked five of the best-selling Red Hood helmets– and dug up some amazing cosplay images from Instagram.
About Red Hood
In a world where superheroes are found everywhere, one vigilante has taken the Batman universe by storm.
Red Hood, who has been around in comic form since the 1950s, is a murderous antihero is an identity assumed by multiple people over time.
Currently represented by Jason Todd who was once Robin and killed by the Joker, Red Hood hates everything that Batman stands for and is hinted to be playing a huge role in the Batman universe in the years to come (Source).
Full of anger and resentment, Red Hood’s helmet is a frightening and intimidating emblem that fans love and fear.
If you’re a DIY-er equipped to build your own, check out some of the ready-made options below:
Comparing The Options
- 【Material】：Made from high quality latex, environmental and non-toxic.
- 【Size】: Fit for Adults, Teens And Older Kids.
- We all look on our idols or admire them, having powers. Let's wear the mask, start to be your idol now.
- Including: A mask, the most closest version designed by XCOSER.
- Material: Hard resin, durable and can be collection and decoration
- Size: 23 inches, one size fit for most adult and teens
- Movie: BTM: Under the Red Hood; Character: Red Hood
- Including: A Mask; Material: High Level PVC; Head Size: 22-24inch;
- This item is custom handmade product piece by piece. Not mass product. It's rare and cannot find from other sellers just here.
- Material is high quality strong fiberglass.
The Road to Red Hood: A DIY Helmet Reveal!
The Cosplay Chris YouTuber did a full reveal of his 3D printed Red Hood helmet. You can even purchase the files for his helmet on Etsy.
What You Need To Know
The iconic Red Hood helmet is a full faced one-piece helmet that features aggressive red eyes and angular lines that has become a symbol of the antihero.
Originally designed to hide the wearer’s identity by the Red Hood Gang so that they can rob a bank unidentified, the helmet has become far more than a disguise and more of a way to symbolize the anger and resentment that Todd has for Batman and the fates that have befallen him.
Cool Cosplay Example
As with any character from the DC universe, Red Hood has gone through a change in costume (Source).
The new version of the helmet is only a half-mask that is offset by a red hood that cloaks his facial features.
While this new ensemble is being created thanks to the growing focus of the Hood’s conflict with Batman, the original helmet is still a very popular costume piece thanks to the eerie, featureless mask.
If you’re looking for a costume to wear to a Halloween party or cosplay event, then the Red Hood helmet can give you that creepy edge whilst showing your friends your dark side.
It’s pretty easy to accessorize to build the rest of the costume, but without a good helmet you won’t achieve the look you’re going for.
- Design Elements: There are several things to note about an effective Red Hood helmet, and without ensuring that each of these features are met, your costume will fall flat. Customers who bought these helmets prefer styles that mimic the sleek, angular lines of the original costume, with full-face coverage complete with the pale, eerie eyes. Masks that have a matte sheen just don’t have the effect that the shiny, sleek styles have.
- Other Accessories: When selecting the right Red Hood helmet for your costume, you should think about the rest of the accessories, too, as this will help you decide on what sort of helmet you want. Some helmets cover only the front of the face, so you would really need a red hood to accompany the style. Other helmets are just that – helmets that sit over your whole head. If you think that this may be uncomfortable for you, then take care not to buy this style.
- Mask Comfort: Remember that you will be wearing this costume on your face for a long period of time. You want to be sure that your actions won’t be inhibited by this. If you know that you’ll need to eat or drink regularly, then you should get a helmet that is easy to take off and put back on again. Otherwise, you’ll find yourself going hungry.
Cosplay, which is a portmanteau of the words “costume” and “play,” is the act of dressing up like a character from a movie, book, comic or video game. Originally made popular by Japanese anime and manga fans, cosplay is now practiced by many people around the world, with large conventions dedicated to the art.
Another Cool Cosplay
The Instagrammer jacklescrew reposted an image from @jensenackles and said, “🚨New🚨Jensen did this. OMG!! HE IS AN ACTUAL HERO. Perfect Redhood Photoshoots from Jensen. Love this man so much! 😍 #Repost from @jensenackles: “Bringin the #redhood back for Halloween. Feels good…real good. Hope y’all have a wicked day, today. Remember…eat ALL the candy! (special thx to @arachnobite 4 all the hard work!)“
It goes without saying, then, that Red Hood is a popular cosplay character, thanks to the growing importance of the character in the Batman universe. With his vigilantism and attitude, the character’s anger is relatable and understandable which contributes to the appeal of the costume.
And Arkham Knight
Not only featuring in the DC comic-verse, Red Hood had his own playable story pack in the popular Batman universe video game Arkham Knight.
Video games are vastly popular with people young and old, and the appearance of the character in the Arkham Knight game likely thrust him into the limelight for a population of people who may never have read the comics.
And The Outlaws
In this video, the Comics Explained Youtuber dives into Red Hood & The Outlaws Rebirth Vol 1: Red Hood vs Batman- providing some context for Red Hood and the Outlaws.
Red Hood Helmet Templates
If you aren’t willing to expend money on buying a helmet for now, you can make one in your home without the use of specialized equipment.
One of the easiest ways to construct your own Red Hood helmet is to use a template, along with cardboard and hot glue. In addition, you will need some paint, rubber cement and sandpaper, all of which you can acquire from your local hardware store. It’s easy to find templates online, such as this one.
Etsy actually has a ton of cool designs you can check out- we found over 20 that are worth exploring. There is a range of different styles- very different from the prefabricated stuff you can buy from the larger retailers like eBay:
|Etsy Red Hood Products||Etsy Product Rating||# Of Etsy Reviews|
|Red Hood Rebirth Helmet on Magnets, Red Hood Mask, Jason Todd, DC comics, Superhero, Battle Damaged,LED Light Option, Bullets on magnets.||5 out of 5 stars||(71)|
|Red Hood Rebirth Helmet for Cosplay 3D Printed Unfinished||5 out of 5 stars||(8)|
|1:1 Scale Halloween Costume Cosplay, Batman Mask Jason Todd Red Hood Helmet, Gift Present Suit Game Movie Comic Prop Red Hood Rebirth #525||4.5 out of 5 stars||(120)|
|Custom Red Hood Helmet||5 out of 5 stars||(5)|
|Red hood helmet||5 out of 5 stars||(257)|
|Wearable Red Hood Rebirth Version 1 Jason Todd Version Helmet for cosplay||4.5 out of 5 stars||(40)|
|Red Hood Outlaw Mask||5 out of 5 stars||(9)|
|Red Hood Rebirth version 2 Jason Todd Helmet LED version for cosplay||4.5 out of 5 stars||(40)|
|Red Hood Arsenal Helmet||5 out of 5 stars||(9)|
|Red Ronin Helmet 3D Printed||5 out of 5 stars||(75)|
|Red Hood Rebirth Helmet||5 out of 5 stars||(9)|
|Red Hood Helmet|
|Red Hood replica helmet! LED light up eye option Batman Robin cosplay hepmet prop!||5 out of 5 stars||(579)|
|Redhood Mask, Red Hood Helmet, Jason Todd, DC comics, Batman Arkham Origins, Cosplay Superhero, Robin, Battle Damaged, Bullets on magnets.||5 out of 5 stars||(71)|
|Red Hood Shadowdazer V7 HQ Resin Helmet (Swiftable)||4.5 out of 5 stars||(85)|
|Red Hood Helmet||4.5 out of 5 stars||(14)|
|Knit Hat Womens Hat Knit Hood - Warrior Helmet Balaclava in Oxblood Wine Red Knit Hat - Red Hat Red Hood Wine Hood Womens Accessories||5 out of 5 stars||(8,443)|
|Blythe hat Little Red Riding Hood for Blythe Fairy-tale outfit for Blythe Doll clothes Blythe doll knitted hat||5 out of 5 stars||(325)|
|1:1 Wearable Custom Halloween Costume, Jason Todd The Red Hood Helmet DJ Mask, Under Batman mask, Red Hood Mask Cosplay MA189||4.5 out of 5 stars||(186)|
|Deathstroke from DC Comics Cosplay Helmet 3D Printed Unfinished||5 out of 5 stars||(8)|
Red Hood Helmet STL (3D Print Files)
While it may be easy to construct a helmet yourself at home, you may feel that the end results are somewhat lacking- you can purchase some 3d print files from a site like this. You might think that you need to spend a lot of money buying a helmet that suits your costume, but why do that if you have access to a 3D printer?
STL files are used by 3D printers in order to tell the printer how to produce a model that looks like the design contained in the file. It goes without saying that if you have an STL file containing the blueprint for the helmet, then it will be pretty easy to have it made for you.
Luckily, there are many places online where you can find these types of files, so all you really need to do is find a design that you like and agree with so that you can have it printed out quickly and easily.
Just about anyone can create these designs as long as they have the knowledge and software, so you will find a wide range of designs that may or may not work for you. Be sure to evaluate the designs you find so that your helmet will look perfect.