The 5 Best Portable Public Address Systems [Ranked]
Top5Reviewed is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Do you want crowds to hear you (or your music) clearly and powerfully?
If so, you are probably interested in buying a portable public address system.
These portable PA systems have become more and more powerful, portable and affordable over time- so you're in luck!
Whether you are an aerobics instructing who wants to be heard over blaring Beyonce, or a public speaker that needs an on-the-go PA system to address your audience.
Our Top Pick: The On Audio Tailgater PA
Check out our comparison table below to get a quick sense of the best-selling systems on the market today.
The Five Best Portable PA Systems
The Audio 2000S is a solid option for music enthusiasts and community speakers. The PA system has an operating range of about 100 feet. It is generally appropriate for street musicians, small meetings, hotel conference halls, church, class rooms and teaching professionals like aerobics instructors. The audio system has an inbuilt rechargeable lithium ion battery. The transmitter can be handheld or used as bodypack. If you want to mute audio, the on/off switch is easily accessible – which is a convenient feature. The product is reasonably priced includes two microphone sets.
- The design is simple and relatively stylish
- The auxiliary input feature allows it to be used with several electronic devices including karaoke and guitar
- Speaker is clear, loud and the bass is quite good
- Rechargeable batteries are long-lasting making it easy to use the system for events that extend for a long time
- Easy to set up and manage
- No Bluetooth feature
- The handheld microphone needs to be held pretty close to the mouth to be heard properly
The Audio 2000S Video Review
This 6.6 lb PylePro system is one of the most affordable Portable Public Address tools available. The wireless lavalier headset works adequately within a distance of 100 feet. The portable system is light in weight and compact, making it easy to carry it and set it up in a venue. The sound quality is on par with that of a wired amp. Separate volume controls for the wired and wireless microphone is an added advantage.
- The system can be operated on car power with the DC 12-15 V jack
- You can listen to FM radio with the VHF receiver inbuilt in the system
- Easy to play music with external devices such as iPods with the help of the auxiliary audio jack input
- If you need more coverage power, additional speakers can be connected to the special inbuilt audio jack
- The handheld microphone is wired (not wireless) which restricts movement while in use
- The lavalier transmitter connection is not designed well- it can potentially disconnect if a user moves too much
The PylePro Video Review
This Hisonic PA system is our top pick, combining a good price with solid tone quality and volume. It is appropriate for indoor/outdoor events, with users recommending it for choir rehearsals, book launches and aerobic instructors. The high power lithium battery is long lasting and rechargeable. The system includes one each of the following: a handheld Microphone, a body transmitter, a headset mic and a lavaliere Mic. The auxiliary jack for audio input is also included, so you can easily connect your Mp3, CD or cassette player to it. The system is convenient to carry around, which is why it is preferred by professional studio instructors, auctioneers, teachers and others who require a versatile portable PA system.
- Users have access to three microphones at a time depending on the type of audio set up they are using
- Additional input jacks for audio devices helps to connect to other audio devices including additional microphones
- Light weight device and easy-to-fix parts provide good portability and versatility
- Easy to carry it anywhere you need with the durable carry bag
- Good customer support
- Audio quality is not as good when plugged into an outlet, but the battery mode does maintain good quality
- Some users wish that it was a bit more powerful
This 17 lb, 50 watt Audio Tailgater PA system is Bluetooth equipped, which means its especially handy if you plan on streaming your music from a mobile device. You can also play music from your CD player via an auxiliary input. The USB power bank can be used to charge tablet, smartphone and other such devices. Long battery life that extend up to 50 hours makes it very convenient to use in outdoor events. Intuitive controls with a digital display make it pretty easy to make adjustments on the fly.
- Powerful sound quality enables use in moderately large outdoor events
- More than 20 sound effects including trombone, drumroll and cricket can accessed
- Can be used continuously for nearly 50 hours and the battery is rechargeable
- Clear display for FM/AM radio
- Sturdy design and reinforced corners makes it a durable and long lasting option
- Bluetooth does not work over a 20 feet distance
- Microphone is not the best quality
Watch the ION Audio in action
4. The MUSYSIC Portable Wireless Rechargeable PA System Review
This 40 lb MUSYSIC PA system has a range of 120 feet and comes equipped with roller wheels for easy transport. If you are looking for a top quality portable PA system for a bit more money, the MUSYSIC portable wireless system might be a good purchase. User feedback is for the most part positive, reporting that this PA system’s sound is fairly clear and that exhibits little to no perceptible distortion when in use. The system also has some very good specs such as inbuilt Bluetooth, slots for an SD reader, USB, recording functionality with direct play back ability, FM radio, as well as a talk over function. Users report the battery working for 3 and a half hours and comes with a useful battery-level indicator to ensure timely recharging.
- All controls are labeled and easy to use
- Sound clarity is solid for most uses
- Both handheld and lavalier microphones can be used simultaneously
- The graphic equalizer has five bands, which is not normally seen in other brands
- The roller wheels and top handle make it easy to maneuver
- Some users say that the FM receiver is too weak, working only for the strong signals
- Some purchasers note that the remote works best when you point it to the back of the system where the sensors are present
What are customers saying about Portable PA systems?
- Portable PA systems are used by a variety of professionals, from public speakers and choir masters to gym teachers and public school principals.
- Some of the more advanced features that portable public address systems utilize include an ability to recharge your smartphone, USB power banks, rechargeable batteries, specialty sound effects, Bluetooth compatibility as well as digital display readouts.
- One of the ION Audio users writes that he used it at a Woodstock event and the people were so impressed with the music he played that they wondered whether his sound setup was professionally done.
- While some people may complain that in general the sound quality is not pristine, you need to manage your expectations a bit concerning these rechargeable public address systems- as one user writes, these are exceptional speakers if you want to pump out the jams at a party, beach, and a local park, or some other outdoor area where there is not an electrical outlet.
- While these are transportable PA systems, it is not as though you can tuck one inside a backpack and lug them to your event- they are fairly large so do need to be accommodated somewhat.
- That said, one reviewer writes that he is easily able to carry the ION audio with one hand and a six pack in the other.
- A bassist writes that his PA system functions as an accompanist, like a karaoke machine, when he plays rock music on his guitar and bass.
- Another deep forest hiker writes of carrying his PA speaker into the forest and pumping out classic rock music to the surprise of other hikers.
- The wireless microphones make it easy and simple to move around the room while you are speaking- this is a favorite feature of many of the people who purchased one of these portable PA systems.
- A park ranger has described using the Audio 2000s when he is giving lectures to national Park visitors. He writes that it provides loud and clear application of his voice.
- A motorcyclist who attends large motorcycle rallies describes being able to be heard from over 50 feet away with the Audio 2000s PA system not even at full volume.
- Make sure to check for warranty information before you purchase and consider purchasing online to access a wider variety of options at lower cost.