The 5 Best Portable Motion Detector Alarms [Ranked]
Top5Reviewed is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Portable motion alarm detectors are quick and easy ways to beef up security in your home or while you are on the go (Source).
Some portable motion-activated alarm detectors like the Doberman security system can actually be mounted on the wall or ceiling.
Doberman also makes a door-hanging alarm that is placed over a doorknob and sounds when the door handle is jiggled or is opened.
This is great for hotel room security, or as one user explained: they use it in their own home to notify them when their relative who has Alzheimer's try's to wander outside.
Let's take a look at five of the best-selling portable motion alarm detectors on the market today and see how they compare.
- Comparing The Options
- The Five Best Portable Motion Detector Alarms For 2022
- Comparing The Options
- What are motion sensors?
Comparing The Options
- ✔ Wide Range of Uses - Motion detection is an essential part of any home security solution. The waterproof sensors in this system use Passive Infrared to detect heat and movement so you can quickly be alerted to movement on your driveway, front porch, gate, shed, walkway, or even swimming pool (for when kids get too close). Great for homes, businesses, and offices.
- WIDE RANGE OF APPLICATIONS : The wireless weather resistant driveway alarm motion sensor can be used to monitor&protect your outdoor/indoor property. Such as driveway, front porch, gate,pool,garage,shed and etc. Great for home, business,and office.The sensor will work properly at all the seasons. Working temperature range from -30 to 150 degree Fahrenheit.
- ✔ Wireless Motion Sensor Alarm - Motion detectors are essential in a home security system. It can detect movement in the surrounding areas - driveways, front porch, gates, home, sheds, offices, walkways, swimming pools, etc. And trigger alert to the linked receiver. It provides an added level of security and safety to your property and loved ones.
- ♫ Brief Introduction: Combined with motion detection, 90db alert and flashing red light, 2-6M detection range in open area, this standalone, all-in-one chime alarm plays an important role in informing you of intruder or visitor. The pir motion chime sensor alarm is suitable for shop, office, home, business etc., to alert you when it detects movement, user-friendly operation and easy installation, favorable home alarm system.
- WIDE RANGE APPLICATIONS SCENES - This is the newest model, driveway alarms are essential in home, outdoor motion detectors security systems. It's designed to detect people,vehicles,or animals entering in perimeter areas (driveway, front porch,backyard, gate, home, garage, office, mailbox,etc.) and activates motion sensor alarm alerts to the connected receiver.It alerts homeowners of unexpected intruders or visitors, keeping your property and loved ones more secure
The Five Best Portable Motion Detector Alarms For 2022
This portable motion detector alarm by Safety Technology is a miniature alert system that uses passive infrared technology in order to protect any room you set it up in from any kind of intruder.
Users like that this portable motion detector alarm requires no kind of wiring and it can be easily moved from one area to another with quickness and ease. They also like that it comes with its own mounting bracket, making it extremely easy to install wherever you need to secure it.
It has a chime that is 95db and the alarm is 120db, which makes it loud enough to hear from just about anywhere. Most buyers also like how all you have to do is find where you want to mount the portable motion detector alarm, put in the batteries and turn on the switch and it is good to go. No hassles and no programming needed. Users like the price of this portable motion detector alarm, commending its reliability and efficacy.
A few users did complain that their portable motion detector alarm didn’t last a year but most people didn’t seem to have any complaints.
- Has own mounting bracket
- Uses passive infrared technology
- No wiring required
- Easy to move around
- Easy to set up
- Easy to use
- Chime is 95db and Alarm is 120db
- A few have complained that product didn't even last a year
This portable motion detector alarm is one of the smallest ones on the market- it’s actually pocket-sized. This unit is only meant for indoor use to protect personal homes from intruders.
The alarm siren reaches 90dB when there is any motion detected in the area that it covers. This portable motion detector alarm has a swivel cabinet which makes it easy to adjust to different detection angles and a slide switch to turn the alarm and chime off.
This portable motion detector is easy to transport because of its size. When traveling, buyers like that while on vacation you can set it up in your hotel room to protect your belongings. As good as the price is, there are many users who have complained that this portable motion detector alarm is not reliable and doesn’t respond well because the sensor on the unit is not very good so the alarm doesn’t trip as quickly or as often as other models on the market.
- Very compact
- Can be used for travel
- Is adjustable
- Not reliable
- Sensor doesn't pick up motion as good as others on the market
This door-hanging portable Doberman motion detector alarm that many users like because it detects motion as well as vibrations when you place it at your door entry.
This unit can be taken anywhere because it is super-portable and extremely lightweight. This portable, door-hanging motion, detector is not only good for using in your home or office- but can be utilized for security anywhere you go.
Users like this unit because it can be used in hotel rooms, in your RV and even on a campsite if you are out camping. Many users like this unit because of how easy it is to use.
It has a nice sturdy strap on it that allows users to hang it just about anywhere they want especially on a doorknob when out traveling and staying in hotel rooms. When you hang it on a doorknob all one has to do is hang the unit and then put the metal clip between the doorjamb and the door and your room is totally protected. Users also like how well it works- especially for the price.
Doberman Hanging Motion Detector Alarm Video Review
- Highly portable
- Can travel with it anywhere
- Easy to set up
- Very loud alarm
The 4.8 oz., Doberman motion alarm detector is our top pick- it uses an infrared beam that will trigger a 100 dB alarm or chime at 15 ft away or less.
Users say that it will last around 6 to 12 months using a single nine-bolt battery, with many people running it for eight hours at a time. Buyers also say that false alarms are infrequent with one reviewer saying that the alarm was triggered by a deflating balloon.
Funny enough, some users actually employees motion alarm detectors to help train their pets, particularly to keep cats off of countertops.
Comparing The Options
This portable motion detector alarm by Doberman Security is a discrete security system that a lot of users find useful for a variety of different home & business locations. It is especially good for protecting any entrance to your home, office or garage and users have commended the alarm’s loudness- so there is no doubt that it will be heard if it is tripped by an intruder.
Buyers like that you can easily install it in any room of your home and it will work every time without fail. Some users don’t like the blinking red light that they feel intruders might be able to see- however, all you need to do is fix that is place a bit of electrical tape over the tiny light and the problem is solved.
Reviewers who bought this portable motion detector alarm like the sensible price and how easily the sensor is triggered at just 15 feet away. Many buyers also like the idea that this portable motion detector alarm is compact and easy to move that it can be positioned to different locations throughout the home or office.
They also like how easy it is to set up taking only about 45 seconds and it’s up and running.
Doberman Portable Motion Detector Alarm Video Review
- Easy to use
- Easy to set up
- Sets up in less than 45 seconds
- Can be set up anywhere
- Super loud alarm
- Some didn't like red blinking light
- No remote control
This unit is actually a motion-activated security camera for a home security system. It is especially good for those who might be concerned about people they have hired to take care of their home, pets or even kids.
Buyers like this mini motion detection security camera because it is easy to use, easy to set up and it can either be kept plugged in or it can run on battery for up to seven days before it needs to be plugged back in. They also like that this added security to any portable motion detector alarm is easy to use and can be adjusted several different ways in order to get just the right angle and the right area covered that they need more security over.
Some reviewers, however, didn’t feel that the directions that come with it are all that clear which made it a little confusing to set up in the beginning. Some also didn’t like that it doesn’t come with its own SD memory card and that you have to go out and get one if you have the need for more than the initial 100 minutes it allows for recording.
- Very compact
- Easy to adjust to different angles
- One press motion detection
- Stays fully charged for seven days
- Detects up to 24 feet
- Directions are confusing
- Doesn't come with SD memory card
What are motion sensors?
|Portable Motion Detector Alarms||Our Rating||Price|
|The Doberman Motion Alarm Detector||4.2||$|
|The Safety Technologies Mini Alert Motion Detector Alarm||3.7||$|
|The Mini Motion Alarm System||2.7||$|
|The Doberman Hanging Door Alarm||4.0||$|
|The Mini Motion Detection Alarm||3.3||$$|
Adding a motion sensor alarm, especially a portable one, to your hotel room while your family is away on vacation, or just when visiting someone else's house that lacks a bit of extra security, is a great way to remain alert and be notified when something or someone has entered your vicinity.
These portable motion detecting alarms are a great complement to traditional and even DIY security systems for your home. They can be finely tuned and calibrated so that your pet doesn't set them off, but a large home intruder will. It's a good idea when you purchase a motion detector alarm, and if you intend to use it for burglary prevention, to run some tests to ensure that you set it up in the most optimal way.
There's nothing worse than a false alarm in the middle of the night and having to jump out of bed baseball bat in hand to investigate. Most of the alarm detector systems that we have examined above are designed to avoid being triggered by false alarms. Another user has described installing one of these inside the home motion detector systems to help her deal with a special-needs individual.
She installed it in the bathroom, high enough so that the dog wouldn't trigger it, but positioned so that it would chime when her patient went into the restroom so that she could help him. The chime is not as loud as the alarm- this means that it doesn't bother or wake up the neighbors, but it is also persistent and loud enough that she can hear it throughout the home. Generally, however, it is the portable nature of these specialized alarms systems that users prioritize.
They enable you to place them anywhere you go- whether you are camping, in the office late at night, or even if you are sleeping in your car, for whatever reason, and just want some extra security in your vicinity to protect you and your valuables.
Since these motion alarm sensors are powered by batteries, there is no wiring required and they can be easily transferred from one location to the next, as you need. You will be instantly alerted, jolted awake, sprung from the shower, once the alarm siren activates- and you will be able to appraise your environment for dangerous intruders, if they did not already run away at the sound.