The 5 Best Paper Cutter Trimmers [Ranked]
Top5Reviewed is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Paper trimmers are crafting tools for exactly cutting paper materials (Source).
In this post, we examine five of the best-selling paper cutters.
That said, our quick pick if you need a heavy-duty trimmer for materials like cork, chipboard, vinyl, foam, burlap paper, and cardstock layers, check out the Fiskars Rotary Trimmer.
For lighter-duty paper-cutting applications, the Fiskars 12 Inch SureCut is a better bet.
- Ideal for cutting a wide variety of crafting materials including paper, photos, scrapbook pages or specialty materials
Check out the SureCut video demonstration below:
What are paper trimmers?
Paper trimmers are devices that allow users to cut paper for office or craft projects.
How do they work?
Paper trimmers come in two varieties: The guillotine and rotary. While both use a blade for cutting, the rotary trimmer has a blade that slides back and forth over the cutting surface while the guillotine utilizes a lever to cut.
Trimmers are ideal for small craft projects, while guillotine cutters are geared more toward office or school use because the leverage of the handle allows for cutting more sheets at a time (Source).
Buyers say if you’re into scrapbooking or crafts, the trimmer is a better value. They take up less space and more portable. Also, they advise being wary of cheap trimmers as they often make jagged cuts and can ruin the paper (Source).
- What are paper trimmers?
- How do they work?
- Comparing The Options
- How Do They Compare
- Best Paper Trimmers For 2021
- 1. The Fiskars SureCut Deluxe Craft Paper Trimmer Review
- 2. The Swingline Paper Trimmer Review
- 3. The Jielisi Rotary Paper Trimmer Review
- 4. The Fiskars 12 Inch Recycled SureCut Trimmer Review
- 5. The Westcott Guillotine Paper Trimmer Review
- How to Use One
Comparing The Options
How Do They Compare
We take a look at 5 popular cutters of both the rotary and guillotine variety and see how they compare.
- First is the Westcott 12” TrimAir Titanium Wood Guillotine Paper Trimmer, which features anti-microbial protection on handle to combat germs and is the only one we looked at that had this feature. It Can cut through 30 sheets of 20 lb. paper with smooth, clean cuts. Users say the blade is very sharp and buyers should exercise caution. Good for use in the office or home. Great value for the price, but not very portable.
- Next is the Fiskars 12” Recycled SureCut Trimmer. This features Fiskars own SureCut wire cut line and locking mechanism for straight, accurate cuts. Can cut 7 sheets of paper at once. Users like the fact that they can easily replace the blade, which extends the life of the device. Good for general, light duty cutting.
- The JieLisi 12” Titanium Scrapbooking Paper Trimmer is more suited to light craft projects than heavy cutting jobs as it’s best when cutting one sheet at a time. Most users use this for cutting coupons or for scrapbooking projects and praise it for being one of the lowest priced cutters available (Source). Also, while most buyers were happy with the device, some questioned how durable and long lasting it would be.
- Next is the Fiskars 12” SureCut Deluxe Craft Paper Trimmer, which boasts the widest base on the market at 6 1/4 inches. This makes the cutter very stable and safe to use. The SureCut wire line makes for straight, accurate cuts. Fiskars gets high marks for being durable and long lasting, and for the accurate cuts it makes. Users say it performs well even on heavy 140lb. paper.
- Last up is the Swingline Paper Trimmer/Cutter with its 12” size with 10 sheet capacity. Lightweight and easily portable. Guillotine trimmer handle provides stability and allows you to cut through more paper than with other trimmers. Users say it cuts through card stock and chipboard as easily as paper. The biggest downside we could see is that it’s light and may not hold up for the long haul.
Best Paper Trimmers For 2021
Ease Of Use
The Fiskars 12’’ paper trimmer could be a solid option if you want to cut paper, photos or scrapbook pages with precision. Users love the sharpness of this tool, but some do complain about its durability.
This product is suitable for easy cutting of a wide variety of crafting materials thanks to a wire cut-line that indicates exactly where the blade will go through. The manufacturer boasts that the blade interlocks with the rail for straight, precise cuts every time. Another useful feature is a permanent scale and grid cutting mat that helps ensure cutting accuracy. This item might be a solid choice if you want an ergonomically designed, easy-to-grip blade carriage that will help you make accurate cuts quickly.
In general, buyers have a very favorable opinion of the Fiskars deluxe craft paper trimmer. They agree that it is sharp, precise and lightweight. Users appreciate the good quality of the tool.
However, some purchasers do complain that the blade can be easily pulled out while cutting and moving. A frequent complaint is that the blade looks worn out after several usages.
Ease Of Use
If you are looking for a guillotine style paper trimmer, you might want to consider the Swingline 12″ model. Users like the quality of this item, but some do complain of slipping issues.
This product is a guillotine trimmer that is designed for the occasional 10-sheet job. It features a protective guard rail and blade latch hook to lock the blade. According to the manufacturer, it is made of durable plastic materials that make it lightweight and easily portable. This item could be a solid choice if you want a conveniently sized paper trimmer with alignment grid and dual scale ruler for precise measuring.
In general, users state that the Swingline 10 sheets capacity paper trimmer meets their expectations. They agree that it is sharp and lightweight yet sturdy.
However, some do complain that the measuring guidelines are not accurate at all and give you only a rough estimate. One user shares that the handle/blade/grid might not be properly aligned so cutting perfectly even paper may require pre-measuring with a ruler. Another complaint is that, since the tool is plastic, you need to hold it down or place rubber bumpers on the bottom to keep it from slipping.
Ease Of Use
The Jielisi titanium scrapbooking paper trimmer is a good option for cutting a 45-degree to a 90-degree angle. Users love the quickness of this tool, but some complain that it doesn’t leave a clean slice when cutting pictures.
This product is said to be a professional guillotine which can cut through chipboard and cardstock. According to the manufacturer, its sharp blade provides flawless trimming results each time you use it. It is available in black and white color. This item might be a good choice if you want a sleek, lightweight and portable paper trimmer for standard cutting of A4 and A5 paper, photos, labels or cards.
The general user consensus concerning the Jielisi 12-inch paper cutter is that it provides fast and safe cuts. Purchasers like that it is lightweight and compact, as well as that it comes with a replacement blade.
However, some buyers complain that it is a little flimsy. One online reviewer shares that the unit is not perfect for cutting pictures since it doesn’t leave the cleanest slice.
Ease Of Use
If you’re looking for a top-rated paper trimmer, you might want to consider the Fiskars SureCut model. Users like the efficacy of this paper cutter, but do complain that it is not a heavy duty item.
This product is a portable paper trimmer that features a 12-inch cut length and, it is said, can cut 7 sheets of 20lb copy paper at once. Another good feature is that the blade interlocks with cutting rail for straighter cuts, as well as that the ergonomic high-profile cutting carriage allows for a better grip. The manufacturer boasts that the blade has a triple coating of titanium carbide that reduces friction and wear. This product might be a good option for trimming office paper, coupons, photos, etc.
The general user consensus is that the Fiskars 12-inch recycled paper cutter is sharp and safe. They conclude that it is accurate. Many buyers appreciate that it is lightweight and compact.
Although buyers agree that it works wonderfully for small projects, they state that it is not a heavy duty paper cutter. As they explain, the plastic wears out after serious use.
Ease Of Use
The Westcott titanium wood guillotine paper trimmer is a solid option for someone who wants a paper trimmer that slices through 30 sheets of 20lb paper at a time. Users like the construction of this paper cutter, but some complain about its accuracy and size.
This product is a wood guillotine paper trimmer that features an added safety guard. It has an attractive, contemporary design with a natural wood base. This item seems like a solid choice if you want a paper cutter that has a comfortable ergonomic handle with anti-microbial protection.
The general user consensus concerning the Westcott paper cutter with anti-microbial protection is that it is sturdy and heavy duty. They agree that it is sharp and that it provides clean cuts.
However, some buyers complain that it doesn’t cut straight. There are complaints regarding its size – some find it a little heavy.
Paper cutters, just like the ones we have today, were patented back in 1844 and 1852 by G. Massiquot. They have been in use since the 1830s, when, in 1837, there was a model built by Thirault with a blade fixed to a flat surface. Starting from the 19th century there have been considerable improvements made by Furnival in England, Fomm and Krause in Germany, and Seybold and Oswego in the US.
Industrial paper cutters
In today’s paper industry, for cutting large stacks of paper or cardboard and other material, larger machines are used. Such machines operate in the same way as a guillotine.
How to Use One
Guillotine cutters, which are also known as stack cutters, have a manual lever and a straight blade which can cut through a few layers of paper at a time.
These cutters are named after the device used for execution during the French Revolution, for their vertical, angled blade. It is very easy to use these devices, though their sharp blades can be dangerous. For reducing the risk of injury, today’s guillotine cutters have standard safety features that need to be disabled before you start using it.
- First, you need to position the trimmer on a flat, solid surface.
- Then you press and release the latch of the blade (usually located under the blade's hand grip).
- Next, you raise the blade to a 65-degree angle.
- Then take up to 30 sheets of paper and align them under the paper clamp located near the blade arm, by using the built-in grid marks of the guillotine cutter as a guide.
- Finally, secure the paper holding the paper with your hand and push on the blade arm for cutting through the paper.
- When you are done, lock the arm.
The latch of the blade will automatically latch when the arm is pushed totally down. If you want to continue cutting, you simply need to release the latch again.
Keep your fingers behind the clamp all the time, away from the edge. Do not try using the blade before engaging the clamp for preventing slippage and injury. Never remove or alter safety features of the paper cutter.