The 5 Best Over The Sink Cutting Boards [Ranked]
Top5Reviewed is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Over the sink cutting boards provide extending cutting areas that fit over kitchen sinks (Source).
They often include integrated colanders for draining cans of kidney beans or storing peeled potatoes to give them a rinse before chucking them in the slow cooker (Source).
Great for kitchens with limited counter-space, they provided added real estate for prep-work- making clean-up much easier (Source).
Unfortunately many of these kitchen tools are junk- they bend and warp after only minimal use.
The best option we've seen is the Good Cooking Over the Sink Cutting Board- it features a removable, steel-rimmed colander with a maximum cutting width of 26.75"
Our Top Pick: The Good Cooking Cutting Board
The Good Cooking over-the-sink cutting board has received solid feedback from its buyers. It measures 26.75" when fully extended and the colander measures 4.5" x 7". Fully retracted, it measures 19.25" x 10.5".
They tell us that it provides extra counter-space, which is great for cramped apartment kitchens. The included colander provides a convenient area to transfer peeled vegetables and fruit for a final wash-down.
While the colander isn't huge, the cutting board provides a significant amount of surface area. Its extending arms provide a stable cutting surface, holding it across a kitchen sink securely.
It's also dishwasher-safe. If you're looking for an extending wood cutting board, check out the Grande Epicure or the Catskill Craftsmen options below.
- Our Top Pick: The Good Cooking Cutting Board
- Comparing The Options
- Best Sink Cutting Boards For 2021
- What Are Buyers Saying?
|Sink Cutting Boards||Our Rating||Price ($)|
|The Good Cooking Over The Sink Cutting Board||4.5||$|
|The Progressive Over The Sink Cutting Board||4.2||$|
|The Catskill Craftsmen Extending Wood Over The Sink Cutting Board||4.0||$|
|The Chef Buddy Extending Sink Cutting Board||2.5||$|
|The Grande Epicure Extending Sink Board||3.0||$|
Best Sink Cutting Boards For 2021
What Are Buyers Saying?
Below we've assembled some buyer feedback for each option. If you're at a loss for the sort of foods you can chop up on one of these products, check out this detailed list of vegetables for some inspiration.
The Good Cooking Option
The first over the sink cutting board we examined is the Good Cooking option. It includes an integrated colander that is collapsible and is able to extend and adapt to different-sized kitchen sinks.
It's built from a food-grade silicon and polypropylene and is designed to save you invaluable kitchen real estate by providing you greater counter space to prepare meat and vegetables as you cook. Small kitchen cooks tell us that at its maximum extension it measures 26.75" long.
- Many buyers who slave away in small kitchens with limited counter space, particularly in cramped New York City apartments, say that this was a great purchase.
- It provides them added counter space nearby their garbage disposals so that they can peel potatoes, chop up fruit for smoothies, debone chicken thighs and quickly toss them in the garbage all in one clean and collected area, or toss them into a crock pot.
- Reviewers were also impressed by the colander, saying that you can use it to drain off excess liquids from cans of kidney and pinto beans, or just store the peeled carrots you're chopping en masse.
- Another reviewer who wakes up and makes a vegetable smoothie says that for prep work it makes things much easier- all of the vegetable scraps and shards, from celery, kale, spinach, broccoli are easily cleaned and scraped into a garbage bag anchored to the cupboard drawer.
The Progressive Extending
The second over the sink cutting board we examined is manufactured by Progressive- it is an expanding cutting board that also includes a collapsible colander.
It extends to 24 inches, is dishwasher safe and is marketed as a quirky kitchen tool intended to increase the amount of space you have in your kitchen to prepare meals or chop up fruit for summer smoothies.
The cutting surface itself is around 10" x 10" with one amateur chef saying that it is large and strong enough to handle cutting up a watermelon on.
- It has received some mixed feedback, with one reviewer complaining that its surface began to bend.
- Indeed other reviewers criticize the flimsy construction and say that it is not a long-term option, particularly if you will be using it on a daily basis.
The third adjustable over the sink cutting board we examined is manufactured by Catskill Craftsmen- it's made of wood with adjustable suspension wires that when fully extended measure 22.5" x 11.75".
It's marketed as a handy kitchen tool for cooks and chefs suffering from limited counter space, providing an extra area for messy cutting and chopping jobs. It's a butcher block style extendable cutting board with the hardwood strips glued together into a serviceable and sturdy kitchen aid.
- Buyers provide mostly positive feedback for this option, some say they sanded it down and gave it an oil treatment several times, to make it completely serviceable.
- Another reviewer who has a particularly small kitchen says that it has been an indispensable means of doing heavy cooking in her small kitchen area, saying that the rubber hooks provide a tight fit over sink basins.
- Another reviewer says that it provides a flat and stable surface that securely mounts to provide added room for cooking- with many buyers making slow cooker stews saying they couldn't assemble their Paleo meals without it.
- Some buyers complain that the wood warped over time and that the lack of non-skidding pads on its bottom was a problem.
The Good Hardwood
The fourth sink cutting board to be examined was the 13-inch Chef Buddy option- it's built from hardwood and includes an integrated strainer for washing produce. Unfortunately, many reviewers were disappointed with the quality of this item, complaining that it broke after only several uses, warping and cracking.
The Grande Epicure
The last gourmets sink board we looked at was manufactured by Grande Epicure- it has extendable handles and measures 11" x 12" x .75". It's marketed as an American-made option that's a handcrafted and design to save and consolidate counter space by providing a roomy cutting surface for prep work.
- Unfortunately, this attractive-looking extendable cutting board has not received the best feedback- with one reviewer complaining that the vinyl wires used to stabilize and support it are too small, which means that the cutting surface is not stable.
- One handy reviewer actually replaced these insufficient stabilizing wire arms with his own that he purchased from Home Depot, saying that after this modification that has performed well.
- Another reviewer who purchased it primarily to thaw out frozen food items from deep inside his freezer says that because the surface is a bit rough he has some doubts about how clean the surface is whenever he cleans it up.
- Another reviewer criticizes the build saying that the surface has begun to disassemble after only moderate use and like another reviewer mentions the metal handles were just too small for the bored holes inside of the board.