The 5 Best Magnetic Sweepers [Ranked]
Top5Reviewed is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Magnetic sweepers are magnetized push brooms on wheels that can pick up metal waste (staples, nails, pins and other metal debris) inside and usually outside your home, as well (Source).
They typically include a release button to easily dispose of the accumulated screws, nails and other metal debris in the home workshop, outdoors, or in machining warehouses (Source).
Many buyers purchase them after contractors have finished a roofing job and negligently left a ton of metal debris in their lawn, endangering family pets, car tires, and the naked foot!
Luckily, a push-type magnetic floor sweeper can help you pick out all these sharp, metal bits. It may take a couple of rolling passes to get all the nails, but it's worth the effort to avoid an injured pet or a maimed foot.
The Husky and Central Machinery magnetic sweepers are good for outdoor use, while the others are better suited to indoor sweeping.
- Comparing Them
- The 5 Best Magnetic Sweepers
- How To Use
- What Are Buyers Saying?
- MAGNETIC PICKUP TOOL: Keep your construction site clean and tidy with this handle magnet roller! The attached wheels allow you to roll this metal magnet collector around your site to pick up any stray nails and screws for a safer work environment.
- Rolling magnetic sweeper made of high quality aluminum, plastic, magnet and iron.
- Ideal for use for cleanup of nails, screws, and other ferrous materials.
- MADE IN THE USA: Lightweight materials and powerful attraction make it the best rolling magnet sweeper for the price. Push or pull it under furniture and across shop floors, driveways, dirt, grass and gravel. This is a customer favorite.
- Heavy-duty Aluminum Surface: This powerful internal magnet is housed in a heavy-duty aluminum shell and controlled by the load release lever, super powerful and made for longevity.
The 5 Best Magnetic Sweepers
What Are Buyers Saying?
The first magnetic nail sweeper we took a look at it is manufactured by Master Magnetics- it has a 14.5-inch brooming width and is equipped to magnetically attract up to 1.6 pounds of eight penny nails. You can purchase two different sweeping widths- the 14.5 inch broom and the 27 inch broom. Some buyers we spoke with use them to pick up nails out of grass before mowing the grass with a lawn roller, magnetically extract staples from a lawn, and retrieve sewing pins from a wood floor surface.
- One tool shop homeowner told us that he employed this rolling magnetic sweeper, in addition to a fork-mounted sweeper, in his workshop to sweep up a bunch of different small metal items that included brass brackets and screws.
- Another reviewer who was cognizant of commercial-strength hanging magnetic sweepers, purchased this smaller option to ensure that there were not any dangerous metal pieces in her backyard that her dogs might be prone to stepping on or swallowing.
- She told us that it worked pretty decently an her gardens, and even better on the blacktop surface of her driveway.
- In terms of assembly, all you need to do is screw it together- though she and another reviewers we interviewed told us that the handle is prone to loosen every so often you do have to give it a turn to keep it tightly fitted together.
- Other reviewers say that after you are a remodeling job, it's a good idea to do a full tow behind sweep of the interior and the exterior of your house to make sure there are not any stray, sharp metal objects like staples or nails- and you can use a glove to pick them up to ensure you don't cut yourself with rusted metal.
- Another reviewer says that while there are more expensive options available, he found that if he took multiple passes over his lawn he was able to find all of the embedded and loose nails littered from a residing project he had undertaken in the summer.
- A professional roofer we interviewed told us that for a long time he had held off on purchasing a rolling magnetic sweeper- mainly because the prices he saw at Harbor freight, target, Lowe's and Home Depot were prohibitively expensive.
- However, online competition has decreased prices and he has been pleasantly surprised with the effectiveness of this magnetic sweeper saying that every time a nail catches on to the magnetized broom a little ping sounds which is highly satisfying.
The Nikia Nail Broom
The second magnetic pickup sweeper we examined is the Neiko option- it comes in 24 and 36-inch options designed to retrieve ferrous metals including screws and nails, helping to safeguard your tool shop or lawn from injuries to your feet or damage to your vehicle's tires.
- One reviewer did make the recommendation that since these magnetic sweepers are so low to the ground, they are not ideal to work on bumpy, soft or uneven surfaces.
- One professional roofer tells us that working on blacktop and cement surfaces is a breeze, however, you want to take several passes over lawns because sweeping your magnetic broom over dirt, leaves, and grass is much more challenging.
- That said, if you apply your magnetic sweeping diligently and discover an effective routine that works for you, you can be assured that you will remove the vast majority of the sharp metal objects from your lawn.
- Another reviewer says that by adjusting the lock nuts on the tires you can actually adjust the height a bit, which makes it easier to work on lawns and other uneven and soft surfaces.
The third magnetic sweeper pick up tool we examined is the 18-inch Husky. Its magnetic working area, Husky says, provides a spacious collecting area to gather up metal waste that has been unleashed on your floor or lawn. As well, they have included a telescoping handle that extends in length from 30 inches all the way to 40 inches- connecting to a pair of highly maneuverable rubber wheels designed to keep your hardwood floors undamaged.
- One handy feature this magnetic pickup tool includes is that after you broomed area and extracted a bunch of miscellaneous metal parts, you can pull a dump lever that will release all of the metal and nails- a great way to easily dispose of these dangerously sharp metal objects.
- Other reviewers say that while it is a bit heavier than other options on the market, it is pretty rugged, enabling reviewers to travel over rocky areas of gravel to extract those recalcitrant nails.
The fourth magnetic pickup sweeper we examined was the 16-inch Hiltex that the advertisers write is especially useful for picking up metal shavings, screws, nails for a variety of different surface types. It features a spring loaded telescoping handle that extends from 21.5 inches all the way to 35.5 inches with a 1 7/8 inch diameter castor wheels.
- Reviewers describe how after a roofing job their contractor neglected to effectively clean up after themselves- so this enterprising homeowner told us that they purchased this magnetic broom to pick up all of the stray metal shavings and screws and nails that had accumulated around the perimeter of his three-bedroom home.
- Reviewers say that it is not the most sturdily designed and connected option, but if you are only using it relatively infrequently it will certainly satisfy your needs. However, you might want to look towards a heavier-duty commercial option if you are using this on a daily basis.
- In general, buyers say that it is a bit flimsy, but for the price it is outfitted with particularly strong magnets that will do the job indoors and outdoors.
The Central Machinery
The last magnetic sweeper with wheels we examined was produced by Central Machinery- it is a 30 inch model with 7-inch wheels that are designed to work on grass and carpet. It's outfitted with an extra-wide sweeping head that promises a 50-pound magnetic pull and a quick release handle to help you dispose of all of the accumulated metal debris on your broom head in a waste receptacle.
- One property manager in charge of cleaning out a four-story, carpeted building said that a vacuum had been run over the premises but hadn't picked up all of the metal bits.
- His management company invested in one of these magnetized push brooms and they were able to clean out the building of all of the dangerous metal shards so that new families could move into the rental properties.
- Other reviewers concur, saying that it has been effective on grass and indoor surfaces areas, effectively cleaning up after negligent roofers left tons of metal waste around the perimeter of their homes.
We are a team of product researchers that specializes in assembling comprehensive buying guides. Our team has a variety of backgrounds, with a mixture of soft and hard sciences represented. Check out our About page to read more about our reviews and editorial process.