The 5 Best LCD eWriters [Ranked]
Top5Reviewed is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
LCD eWriters are essentially an eco-friendly, paperless mashup of sketchbooks, memo pads, notebooks, drawing pads- all rolled into one cool little tech product (Source).
They use reflex LCD technology to provide a high-quality writing experience in a modern and sleekly designed package (Source).
Some eWriters like the Boogie Board Sync (Boogie Board out of stock alternative) can save several hundred pages worth of notes onto the SD memory card and then transfer those files into a smart phone, tablet, computer or some other device wireless or even through USB.
Let's take a look at 5 of the best selling Boogie Board eWriters and see how they compare.
The Sync has the most features (including saving and transferring your work) but the Boogie Board LCD Writing Tablet is an affordable option, but does lack the file save and transfer functionality.
Top Pick: The NewYes LCD Writing Tablet
- Upgrade Version: This lcd writing tablet provides much brighter writing than the old version and enjoys longer service life.
This LCD writing tablet is designed to replace paper and pen. It has one delete button that clears the surface screen. This new version is really lightweight- only 0.3 LB, making it a great mobile option for children.
One reviewer we spoke with said that they had purchased it for a two-year-old boy. They said it's been an inexpensive, educational tool that's great for small children.
NewYes Video Review
Here are our top 5 picks if you're looking for a high-quality LCD e writer:
LCD E Writers Compared
- XP-PEN G640 Graphics Tablet is designed for gameplay, drawing, painting, sketching, E-signatures, etc. Battery-free Stylus making lines flow quicker and smoother, enhancing overall performance
- Release The Children's Nature: 10 inch Boogie board writing tablet is a good helper for kids graffiti,drawing,notepad,learning,spelling etc.no mess on the wall,ground,sofa and bed.Say goodbye to traditional graffiti.
- Multifunctional Children's Toys: the electronic writing board has the function of removing traces with one click, they can draw and write on the pad, play for hours without feeling tired
- 【Up to 35% Brigher Writing】Adopting the latest LCD pressure-sensitive technology, this new version of LCD writing tablet for kids is about 35% brighter than the old version. Without radiation and glare, the LCD screen better protects your eyes.
- Colorful LCD: Unlike those normal LCD writing tablets, we are providing an even more powerful function on this writing tablet, as it is now possible to show colors on this LCD writing tablet. Like an endless sheet of paper, the pen on paper like experience is even better now. This will make kids to write more, or as a kids drawing tablet. The body material is safe, non-toxic and non-radiative.
Boogie Board Video Reviews
- Play and Trace
This Boogie Board eWriter measures 11.7 x .7 x 7.6" and weighs only 12 ounces. It has a 10 1/2 inch screen size and runs off a pair of AAAA batteries. It's a great way to collaborate with your children, many users write, helping them to do math problems for spelling exercises without wasting a ton of paper.
Other families keep them around the house for general note-taking like grocery lists or family chore lists. It's important to note that this model does not allow you to transfer your drawings or notes from the device to a computer- you need to upgrade to the Boogie Board Sync to do that.
In all, this is an inexpensive, highly portable eWriter that has received a great deal of praise from its user base.
Boogie Board LCD Video Review
- Big 10 1/2 inch screen size
- Replaceable batteries
- Fine-tip stylus pen for writing small
- Ecological solutions for paper consumption
- Some users complained of screen glare when outside, contrast could be a little bit better
- Doesn't actually save drawings to a computer- you need to upgrade to the Boogie Board Sync to do that.
Is writing better than typing?
Boogie Board's goal is to replace pen and paper. While they are attempting to replace this age-old industry, they are still enthusiastic about the cognitive benefits of hand writing notes rather than typing.
A scientific study conducted by Princeton University demonstrated that participants who used laptops in class took more notes, but those who hand wrote notes actually ended up with a much more robust understanding of the concepts being taught than those who used their laptops to take notes.
One of the reasons why this phenomenon occurred, the scientists speculated, was that because handwriting is so much slower than typing, that participants need to dwell on what they are writing as they write it rather then quickly and automatically transcribing what they are taught using a laptop.
Memory tests confirm this hypothesis. The research scientists speculate that mindless and rote typing notes actually does not facilitate greater comprehension of high-level educational concepts.
Benefits of an LCD eWriter
- Extremely low power consumption
- With the BoogieBoard 10.5 inch writing tablet you only need 2 AAAA batteries (they'll last for tens of thousands of sketches),
- Extremely thin and portable, easily lock the erase button to prevent losing your creations,
- Draw or sketch with the included stylus pen or even with your finger,
- Pressure sensitive writing surface lets you articulate different levels of line thickness.
- Some eWriter tablets like the Sync let you save and transport your sketching & notes to a computer
What is a writing or graphics tablet?
A graphics tablet or eWriter, technically defined, is essentially an input device used by business people and even artists to take notes onto a computer screen without having to use a keyboard or mouse. These drawing pads or writing tablets that you use a stylus-type pen or even your finger to take notes in a smooth flow. This can be great if you enjoy writing instead of using a laptop to take notes and is more inexpensive and portable solution then an iPad.
These graphics tablets come in a variety of different screen sizes. Some even measure 14 x 14" and are designed with professional engineers and artists in mind need that amount of screen space for their professional work. Many of these graphics and lighting tablets enable you to transfer your creations onto a computer hard drive either wirelessly or through a USB port.
Another differentiating factor between the different writing tablets out there is the quality of the pressure sensitivity of the drawing surface. You want to have at least 512 levels of pressure sensitivity. This will let you do some really interesting effects around line thickness and let you truly mimic the actual feel and function of a pen.
Speaking of the included pen, these graphics tablets will also include one, sometimes they are corded and sometimes they are holstered. The last feature that any people look for when purchasing one of these graphics tablets is function buttons on the side of the tablet that let you toggle between applications and perform general actions easily.
Our Former Picks
Below is our old comparison table- unfortunately some of our earlier picks are no longer in stock. Consult the comparison table at the top of the page for in-stock items.
|LCD E Writers||Price||Our Rating||Dimensions||Weight|
|The Boogie Board Original 8.5" LCD eWriter||$||4.2||10.8 x 6.8 x 0.6 inches||6.4 ounces|
|The Boogie Board Sync 9.7-Inch LCD eWriter||$$$||3.8||0.63 x 8.31 x 13.35 inches||12.8 ounces|
|The Boogie Board Jot 8.5 LCD eWriter||$||2.9||10.8 x 6.8 x 0.6 inches||6.4 ounces|
|The Boogie Board Play & Trace LCD eWriter||$||4.2||11 x 14.5 x 1.5 inches||13.6 ounces|
|The Boogie Board 10.5 Inch LCD Writing Tablet||$$||4.3||11.7 x 0.7 x 7.6 inches||12 ounces|
One mother rights of using her eWriter tablet with her son to do math problems- this saves them a ton of mess and expense buying yellow legal pads.
Another user writes of using it with his children to help them with spelling exercises and to memorize class notes. He's a huge fan of Boogie Board eWriting tablets, but he does note that an earlier model needed to be replaced because of contrast fading which made it almost illegible to read.
If you are looking to purchase an LCD writing tablet or eWriter, read our reviews above and peruse our Boogie Board comparison table to get a sense of the best options on the market today.
These high-tech tablets are inexpensive and fun ways to go paperless. They encourage collaboration and boost the comprehension abilities of those who use them to take notes in academic settings.