How To Scrub Clean A Shower Chair
Top5Reviewed is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A shower chair is convenient for anyone, particularly the elderly and disabled, when taking a bath or shower. It allows them to bathe without any assistance, thus providing valuable privacy.
However, a shower chair is a delicate item that requires some level of maintenance. When kept improperly, it may grow mold, mildew, and also host bacteria (Source). While you’re giving your chair a good Tilex scrub, you might want to learn how to clean stubborn tile grout, as well. Here is how you should wash your shower chair.
How To Clean Your Shower Chair
A step by step guide on how to clean your shower chair:
- Dry your shower chair completely after each use. Cleaning it every day helps to prevent the buildup of dirt and grime.
- Dry your shower chair thoroughly, taking into account the crevices, cracks and corners that are usually hard to dry.
- Wipe out all soap clearly since it results in issues faster than water alone.
- Remove your shower chair from the shower room when it’s not in use. The shower room is always humid and moist, as a result of hot showers. Bacteria survive best in such an environment and hence you should store your shower chair in a dry room with free airflow.
- Clean your shower chair thoroughly monthly. Take it back to the shower and wash it with soap and water while scrubbing it. It’s recommended you use a tile clean as it works best in removing mold, mildew and bacteria.
- Alternatively, you can use a solution of water and ammonia for the monthly cleaning of your shower chair. Ensure you clean all the areas, including the corners, crevices, cracks and dry them thoroughly after that.
Now that you have a stepwise guide on cleaning your shower chair, here are some tips that may be of great help.
Tips for cleaning your shower chair
- Don’t use your shower chair until it’s rinsed clean from cleaning agents and chemicals used.
- Clean and dry the bottom of your shower chair since this part may also house mold, mildew and bacteria.
- Always wash any dirt part of the chair with a soap solution before wiping to dry the chair.
- You shouldn’t wash your chair roughly since you might scratch it. A scratched surface is more susceptible to bacteria, mold, and mildew.
- Other than for the health benefits, maintaining a dry and clean shower chair helps improve its durability. There are many benefits of owning a shower chair, giving you more reasons to care for it.
Benefits of owning a shower chair
- A shower chair makes one feel more independent and empowered. With a shower chair, you can shower with minimum or no assistance.
- It gives improved hygiene, especially when traveling. Traveling to people with mobility issues can be a nightmare due to problems with how to take a bath. You can use your shower chair in hotels without assistance and worries about compromising health measures.
- A shower chair improves one’s safety while taking a bath. It provides a secure space in the slippery bathroom minimizing chances of falling.
- It gives better access to therapeutical showers since hot showers are recommended to people with chronic pain. Warm water encourages blood circulation, reduces swelling and encourages lymph drainage.
A shower chair is an excellent bathroom item for individuals with mobility issues. Routine cleaning and maintenance of this item shouldn’t be overlooked as it ensures that it’s safe to use and works as intended. Clean your shower chair every day after taking a bath and have a general cleaning and maintenance once per month.
Follow the above simple basic steps to clean your shower chair and it’ll be free from mold, mildew and bacteria.