The 5 Best Home Gyms [Ranked]
Home gym machines are designed to provide an all-in-one workout solution.
They can all provide the following common exercises: ab crunches, rows, leg extensions, lat pull downs, chest presses, pec flys and leg presses (Source).
While somewhat complex to assemble, these exercise machines are capable of replacing or supplementing expensive gym memberships (Source).
The Mary, Bowflex PR1000 and the Weider are all 'value buy' workout stations, while the Bowflex Revolution and Body Solid weight and strength machines have higher-end price points.
The Body Solid actually accommodates up to 3 users simultaneously, while all the other options handle one exerciser at a time.
Our Top Pick: The Bowflex Extreme 2 Home Gym
- Compact home gym for full body workout from over 65 gym quality exercises
The Bowflex Extreme 2 can do over 70 exercises: 24 arm exercises, 6 chest exercises, 3 abdominal exercises, 18 back exercises, 16 shoulder exercises, 12 leg exercises, but does not do a cardio row. For a full list of the specific exercises, check out its owner's manual online.
It requires a workout area of at least 96" x 78" x 83". It has a 60 day parts warranty, the frame is covered for a year and the power rods have a lifetime warranty, according to Bowflex.
Video Overview: The Bowflex PR1000
|Home Gyms||Our Rating||Price ($)|
|The Marcy Stack Home Gym||4.4||$$|
|The Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym||4.5||$$|
|The Bowflex Revolution Home Gym||3.5||$$$|
|The Weider Home Gym||4.0||$$|
|The Body-Solid Multi-Person Home Gym||4.3||$|
Best Home Gyms For 2023
Ease of Use
This stack home gym offered by Marcy is a good option if you want to stay in shape at home.Users love the simplicity and effectiveness of this product, but do complain about difficulties with the assembly.
This product offers a total body workout with 200 lbs. of weight resistance. It features a dual function, multi-purpose press arm and no cable changing. Other features include oversized seat pads 2″ thick, high-density foam and large diameter steel tubing. This item seems like a good choice if you want to have gym-quality exercises right at home.
The general user consensus concerning the Marcy stack home gym is that it is a quality product well worth the price.Many users love that it has a simple and compact design.
However, many buyers complain about the complicated assembly, stating that the instructions for assembly are terrible. One dissatisfied purchaser complains about the padding on the accessories which tends to slip off.
marcy Video Overview
- Quality product well worth the price
- Simple and compact design
- Many buyers complain about the complicated assembly
- One dissatisfied purchaser complains about the padding which tends to slip off
Ease of Use
If you are looking for a top-rated home gym, you might want to consider this model offered by Bowflex. Users love the effectiveness of this piece of equipment, but some do complain about the weight amounts and the instructions.
This product features 210 lbs. of rod resistance, triple-function hand grips, a horizontal bench press, 4’’ upholstered roller cushions and a built-in rowing station. It can be used for working on the abs, arms, chest, back, shoulders and the lower body. This home gym might be a good choice if you are looking for a versatile piece of equipment that can be used for strengthening the muscles and cardio training.
In general, users have a favorable opinion of the BowflexPR1000 home gym.What they praise is that it is well made and priced well.They conclude that it is convenient and provides a solid set of exercises.
However, some buyers express complaints regarding the weight amounts which are not that heavy to progress as you get stronger. A frequent complaint is that the set-up instructions are very vague.
Bowflex PR1000 Video Overview
- Well made
- Provides a solid set of exercises
- Some buyers express complaints regarding the weight amounts (not heavy enough to progress as you get stronger)
- Frequent complaint – very vague set-up instructions
Ease of Use
This home gym offered by Bowflex is a solid option for those on a bigger budget. Users like the functionality and special features of this tool, but some do complain about the durability of the weights.
Thanks to the SpiraFlex® resistance technology, every exercise done on this product delivers ultra-smooth and consistent resistance through the entire range of motion. It supports more than 100 exercises, including a comprehensive core and abs workout. It utilizes lightweight interlocking plates which let you quickly and easily adjust the resistance (from 10 to 220 Ibs. for upper body workouts). If you want a home gym that offers a compact total body workout, this might be a solid option.
In general, users have a favorable opinion of the Bowflex Revolution Home Gym and they agree that it is a great machine for general fitness. Many of them state that it allows lots of different training to take place with one piece of equipment, with minimal changing of cables and adjustments. They add that transitions between exercises are quick and appreciate that the item folds into a very small profile.
However, some purchasers complain about the weights which started cracking out after only several workouts. One buyer says that it is difficult to change the disks between the exercises.
Bowflex Revolution Video Overview
- Great machine for general fitness
- Allows lots of different training with minimal changing of cables and adjustments
- Quick transitions between exercises
- Folds into a very small profile
- Some purchasers complain about the weights (started cracking out after only several workouts)
- One buyer says it’s difficult to change the disks between the exercises
Ease of Use
This home gym offered by MegaDeal is a solid option if you are a beginner who wants to work out in the comfort of their home. Users like its effectiveness, but some do complain about its limitations.
This product features 214 lbs. weight stacks, ankle strap, vinyl seats and exercise chart. This item could be a solid choice if you’re looking for an affordable home gym.
In general, buyers have a positive opinion of the MegaDeal Weider 214 lbs. home gym. They state that it is a good, strong machine with very smooth pullies. All in all, they agree that it is a piece of equipment which is enough to keep you active without too much hassle.
However,some buyers complain about it being cheap and limited. A frequent complaint is that it is hard to put it together alone.
Weider Video Overview
- Good and strong machine
- Very smooth pullies
- Keeps you active without too much hassle
- Some buyers complain about it being cheap and limited
- Frequent complaint – hard to put it together alone
Ease of Use
If you are looking for a light commercial gym, you might want to consider this one offered by Body Solid. Users like its sturdiness, but have complaints about assembly directions.
This product offers an impressive array of strength training exercises for up to three simultaneous users, in a compact, space-saving design. It features a leg and calf press station, high pulley station, lat pull down station, mid pulley station, cam-driven leg extension and curl station and a seated rowing station. It has a dual 210 lbs. alloy steel weight stacks and full-length, solid steel shrouds. If you are looking for a home gym that provides training for up to 3 simultaneous users,this might be a good option.
In general, users are happy with the Body Solid Multi Function Gym. What they like in particular is that it is sturdy, solid and built with no compromises.In addition, they agree that it has smooth operations of the cables and that it is compact.
However, many purchasers complain about poor directions which make the assembly very difficult.
Body-Solid Video Overview
- Built with no compromises
- Smooth operations of the cables
- Many purchasers complain about poor assembly directions
What Are Buyers Saying?
The first home gym we examined is manufactured by Marcy. This home strengthening and bodybuilding machine is designed to save space while still providing a powerfully functional exercise workout routine in your residence. It features a weight stack lock, removable arm curl, dual functioning press arms, a leg developer and provides rowing exercises.
- One reviewer says that he was in the market for a moderately priced piece of home exercise equipment that would provide diverse body building and strengthening routines he could perform in his garage.
- Since this body builder stands at over 6 foot 3, he was initially concerned that it wouldn't accommodate his size, but he tells us that overall he is satisfied with this purchase, saying it was a value buy that provides dynamic and diverse exercises in the home.
- Other reviewers say that it is well-made, though you'll have to be patient assembling it because there are many different parts to piece together.
The Bowflex PR1000
The second home gym we examined was the Bowflex PR1000. They say it can provide over 30 different types of strength exercises, includes a rowing station and it's equipped to generate 210 pounds of resistance. Indeed, it's marketed towards men and women looking to tone and firm up their shoulders, arms, abdominals, back, and lower body muscles.
- One reviewer says that if you're interested in and toning your gluteus, the way it works is you just need to employee a strap behind your heels and then perform leg pullbacks.
- Another reviewer tells us that his neighbor helped him put it together and it took them in total about an hour of work in the afternoon.
- In addition, he informs us that there is a tremendous variety of workouts you can perform- it's best to consult Bowflex's body plan book and YouTube videos to understand the full breadth of this machine's capabilities.
- Addressing a common concern, he tells us that in his experience he hasn't yet maxed out the weights-though he also says that if you are a professional bodybuilder you wouldn't be purchasing a home model like this anyway. You'd probably be getting an Olympic bench press machine.
- Overall, this home gym workout equipment will add some bulk and get you in shape if you use it consistently.
The Bowflex Revolution
The third option we examined was the Bowflex Revolution home gym- this was a more expensive option than some of the alternatives we examined. It's marketed as an especially compact option that provides smoothly consistent resistance throughout a diverse set of motion exercises.
There are over 100 exercises you can perform with resistance going up to 220 pounds with a maximum configuration of 300 pounds. It lets you develop your legs, use a preacher curl and includes a folding bench design.
- One reviewer says that while it is not a standalone replacement for going to Equinox, it does provide strong and dynamic workouts- convenient if you want to get some exercise in and without driving over to your exercise facility.
The fourth option we examined was the Weider home gym. One reviewer says that he primarily employees it to perform bench presses, pectoral flys, seated rows, lat pull downs and leg curls. Buyers are overall pleased but do complain of that it is incredibly complex to assemble.
The Body Solid
The last option we examined was the Body Solid commercial gym. You can actually accommodate three people at a time on it and it includes an incline press, a bench press, shoulder press, as well as a pectoral workout station.
This would be a solid purchase if you own a gym and want a dynamic, all in one workout station that can accommodate multiple people at the same time.
As with the other options, we examined, the assembly is complicated and reviewers say the directions are not as helpful as they could be. Because it has a lifetime warranty, many buyers were convinced to purchase, even though it is at the higher end of the price points we've seen.
Some opted to pay for assembly- not a bad decision considering how difficult this unit is to get up and running.