The 5 Best Hitch Carriers [Ranked]
Top5Reviewed is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hitch carrier racks provide a safe and secure way to transport wheelchairs, power scooters, lawn mowers, snow blowers, and other heavy wheeled items.
They also include integrated ramps- making it easy to roll your cargo into the hitch carrier and secure it for transport.
Our top pick is the MaxxHaul aluminum hitch.
One buyer said that he assembled this carrier in an hour.
One advance warning- the instructions are not incredibly detailed.
Our Top Pick: The MaxxHaul Aluminum Cargo Carrier
- Basket-style cargo carrier is constructed from extruded aluminum material that is durable, sturdy, lightweight and easy to install. Will not rust and is easy to clean and easy to maintain
The primary confusion is dealing with the nuts/bolts and where the supports go. It's a good idea to pay attention to some of the Amazon product reviews- and some of the YouTube videos like the one below when it comes to assembly.
This buyer also advised that you don't need to file the rough-cut pieces- if you assemble it correctly, none of those rough edges are exposed.
When it comes to the assembled carrier, the aluminum is pretty soft and the hitch mount bolts will warp a bit if you tighten them too much.
That said, this buyer said that it feels pretty solid and lightweight. There is a bit of a rattle when it is mounted because the hitch mount has no tightener or other dampening mechanism.
Let's take a look at five of the best-selling mobility scooter carriers on the market today and see how they compare.
- Our Top Pick: The MaxxHaul Aluminum Cargo Carrier
- Comparing Them
- The Five Best Hitch Carriers
- 1. The Silver Spring Mobility Hitch Carrier Rack Review
- 2. The Discount Ramps Economy Hitch Mounted Mobility Scooter Carrier Rack Review
- 3. The Best Choice Products Mobility Wheelchair Carrier Review
- 4. The TMS Folding Electric Wheelchair Hitch Carrier Review
- 5. The Direct Aftermarket Electric Wheelchair Hitch Carrier Review
- Buying Guide
- Final thoughts
- Assembled Dimensions: 56 x 23 x 5 Inches. Rainproof-No
- Heavy-Duty Steel frame in a black epoxy powder coating, Basket style Foldable
- ✔ ADVANCED MATERIALS: The basket frame is adopting light and strong aluminum structure, corrosion and rust resistance. The connecting rod is made of iron, holding capaticy up to 500 Lbs; and the anti- slip screws are made of stainless steel for rust resistance. Basket Dimension: 60"x 22"x 7"
- 【Durable Construction】This trailer hitch cargo carrier is constructed of high strength and lightweight design steel, It is rated for 500 lbs Max.loading capacity.
- Capacity: 500 pounds distributed weight
The Five Best Hitch Carriers
The aluminum-constructed, 500 lb capacity Economy Hitch Mounted Carrier is a good option that is built to last. Its users like that it is lightweight, but also note that driving at higher speeds may cause the load to move dangerously.
The dimensions of its usable platform area are 47″L x 27-3/4″W. It has a safe 7-1/2″ high side rail and built-in tie down anchor points for straps. It fits 2″ Class III or IV trailer hitch receivers, and with its 45-3/8″L x 27-3/4″W integrated loading ramp, can support many power scooter models.
The loading ramp folds upright after the scooter is loaded. The hitch receiver tube allows for 8-1/4″ clearance from hitch pin hole to the carrier frame. This scooter carrier rack is a nice option if you are looking for a lightweight hitch carrier.
Users of this hitch mounted scooter carrier like that it is relatively easy to put together. Those who installed this product find it a great way to haul an electric mobility scooter and at the same time enjoy its affordability.
However, one user feels that the scooter he loaded onto it moved more than what he considered safe for travelling at decent speeds.
- Aluminum construction is rust-proof
- Ramp doesn’t fold flat inside carrier frame
The 75 lb, 47” x 31” Best Choice Products SKY1700 Mobility Wheelchair Carrier is a solid option that can be positioned 3 different ways (closed flat, open L-shape & open flat). Its users like that it is very easy to put together, but also note that some of the holes need to be filed to open them up more.
It has a heavy-duty steel construction with pull locks, 2″ hitch receiver for hitch class III or IV, and a 3” safety rail. It is finished with a durable black powder coating. This mobility hitch carrier is a good option if you are looking for a sturdy scooter rack hitch carrier.
Overall, users are happy with the durability and price point of this hitch carrier. They like that the platform feels very solid and stable.
However, one user noted that it is fine for a low car, but on a higher vehicle it is too high and the ramp is at such an angle that it’s very difficult to load the scooter up the ramp. A number of users also complained that the unit didn’t fold flat as described, and that the holes do not line up properly.
- Solid platform does not rattle
- Ramp may be too short for high cars
- Assembly holes do not line up
The 44” x 29”, 500 lb capacity Direct Aftermarket Electric Wheelchair Hitch Carrier is a good option that has an epoxy powder coated tubular steel frame construction. Its users enjoy its easy assembly, but also note that the metal feels a bit flimsy.
It is hitch mounted to a class III or IV trailer hitch and requires a 2” square hole. For additional protection and ample tie down spots, the carriage is built with a 7” high railing.
It has a 42” ramp for loading and unloading. This is a viable option if you are looking for hitch carrier with ramp that can easily fit the budget.
Most of the users of this hitch carrier are satisfied with their purchase. They like that it is easy to put together and that it is convenient to use. Many of the users agree that they got a good quality product for the price.
However, some users think that the metal tubing used for the construction are too small gauged. In addition, users who owned high vehicles observed that the ramp is too short to be useful. But overall, its price point and durability are what make this product attractive to would-be buyers.
- Relatively less expensive
- Easy to assemble
- May feel flimsy
- Ramp a bit too short for high vehicles
We are a team of product researchers that specializes in assembling comprehensive buying guides. Our team has a variety of backgrounds, with a mixture of soft and hard sciences represented. Check out our About page to read more about our reviews and editorial process.