If the thickness of your shower curtain liner is important to you, you should understand that the thicker the liner is, the longer lasting and more rugged it will be.
You should be aware, as well, that if you purchase a heavy-duty, thick shower curtain, it does become a bit more difficult for homeowners to install and maneuver them on the shower rod.
A three gauge shower curtain liner is thin and light weight. A five gauge shower curtain liner is a more balanced option that is not as inexpensive as the three gauge but is more durable. An eight gauge is a heavy-duty option designed for maximum durability.
The 10 gauge is the most rugged and tough option that is frequently used in commercial environments and facilities.
The Wimaha 15 Gauge
The first heavy-duty shower liner we examined is the 15 gauge Wimaha clear curtain. This anti-bacterial and mildew resistant shower liner is engineered to fight off the growth of disgusting bacteria.
- One buyer we interviewed says that it is an attractive option that sparkles in the light, but buyers were skeptical that it is an actual 15 gauge option, saying that it is much lighter weight than that.
- However, some homeowners found that this non-toxic shower curtain would waft in onto them while they were in the bath, saying that the weighted ends didn't prevent it from blowing in the wind.
- Another reviewer said that it is the best shower curtain liner they've ever owned, with some employing it as part of a dual-shower curtain system with a liner and curtain stacked together to prevent it from blowing in on them while bathing.
The ZenFresh 10 Gauge
The second shower curtain liner we examined is the 10 gauge, three-magnet ZenFresh option. These shower curtain liners are built for heavy-duty use, shipping with anti-rusting grommets and a coating of anti-mildew material that does require some occasional wipe-down maintenance. They are primarily designed to decrease the irritating habit shower curtains and shower curtain liners have of blowing sideways, upwards and inwards while bathers are trying to get their bodies clean.
- One reviewer who wondered whether this shower curtain can actually be stuffed in a washing machine was told by a more experienced buyer that the material would not hold up well and would potentially destroy it.
- While buyers were impressed with the thickness of it, and its ability to keep water from escaping the bathing area, they criticized the quality of the grommets, saying that they are not rust proof.
- Another buyer also said that after seven months of use, mildew began infiltrating the curtain, which was sooner than he had expected given that he had purchased this particular option because of its claim of rugged mildew resistance.
- However, for the most part, buyers are impressed, saying that it is a high-quality, opaque option that is reasonably priced and has been a durable component of a clean bathroom and environment for several years.
The Epica 10 Gauge
The third option we examined is the Epica 10 gauge shower curtain liner. This mildew-resistant shower curtain is engineered to fight off the growth of disgusting mold, bacteria, and other gross bathroom growths.
In addition, its vinyl surface has been built to resist collecting soap scum and hard water marks, those embarrassing blemishes that can make your bathroom look grimy and grungy. Because it is a 10 gauge option, designed to be durable and strong, the manufacturer says that it is especially resistant to billowing, tearing and ripping, with a clear and clean minimalistic appearance.
- Buyers were generally impressed saying that this is an especially resilient option.
- One mother uses it in the common bathroom and says that since her teenage boys frequently forget to straighten the shower curtain out after use, previous shower curtain liners have quickly become molded over.
- This option, however, even though there is no air vent integrated into her bathroom, has withstood the test of time and hasn't become overrun with disgusting bacteria and mildew.
The Clean Healthy Living
The fourth heavy duty shower curtain liner we examined is manufactured by Clean Healthy Living- it is tan in color and measures 70" x 71" long. It's 100% polyethylene vinyl acetate (PVA) and weighs 25 ounces- designed to resist mold while remaining odorless and resistant to blowing about. It ships with 12 metal grommets.
Buyers were impressed at its thickness saying that it functions effectively as a water barrier in an eco-friendly manner- though a bit more expensive than other options we examined.
The United Linens
The last heavy-duty shower curtain liner we examined is manufactured by United Linens. It actually comes in a variety of colors including black, gold, white, peach, yellow, brown and royal blue. It ships with rust proof metal grommets and it's manufactured from 100% microfiber, a 10 gauge heavy-weighted vinyl option.
- Buyers were impressed, for the most part, saying that the color options they selected did resemble the stock product photography and that as a manufacturer promised it didn't have an odor.
- Other buyers were somewhat miffed, saying that it was not as mold and mildew resistant as they had hoped and, in fact, it did have an odor to it.
- This may be attributed to the many different color options available which have decreased the consistency of the product consumers received.