The 5 Best HD Mirror Cams [Ranked]
Top5Reviewed is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
In this post, we examine 5 of the best-selling HD mirror cams. We cover installation, pricing and the different features you can expect.
While browsing through the newspaper or watching the TV news, we often come across various accident reports, most of which are triggered by driver negligence.
But sometimes, even the best drivers may falter as they do not have any clue of what is going on in their surroundings.
Perhaps all of us, who drive regularly, have experienced this situation at least once.
So, what can be done to avoid this? Simple – just install an HD mirror cam.
Apart from a means of protection, it can also be used to take in the scenery and document fun family journeys.
Comparing The Options
- ALL-IN-ONE: The Official HD Mirror Cam is the all-in-one rearview mirror digital dash cam. Easy to install, the 350° rotatable camera and 120° wide-angle lens captures it all, even inside the car! The automatic dash cam records 720P HD video and crystal-clear audio for up to 14 hours, while the built-in 2.5 LCD Playback Screen provides Screen Shut Off mode for distraction-free driving
- 7" IPS Touch Screen and 1080P FHD Recording: Simultaneous recording in 1080P front view and 480P waterproof rear cam, ensuring you get the best footage all day and night. 7" touch screen provides a wide visual angle which makes it clearer to view video
- 【5” LCD Touch Screen & 1080P Full HD】 Responsive touch screen and the icons of 5” mirror dash cam are simple and elegant, which presents the screen that is responding quickly to the contact shows HD pictures. The 1080P resolution with 170°wider field of view provides you with crystal clear image quality. It overall works perfectly as a rear view mirror with less glare.
- 【2.5K Dual Cams with Wide FOV】 Dual cams provide with Ultra HD video resolution up to 2560 x 1440P (2.5K). Offer you much clearer footage capturing license plates from a distance. 160° adjustable front lens and 140° rear lens cover total 300° field of view to reduce blind area and capture more scene on the road.
- 4.3 inch screen: User-friendly interface for quick recognition and intuitive operation.Easy viewing and provides you with instant evidence to support insurance claims.
How To Install
In this video, the auto vlogger demonstrates how to install a Vehicle Blackbox DVR:
What Are They?
Unlike traditional dash cams, you can attach an HD mirror cam to your car’s existing rearview mirror.
It allows you to have evidence of what actually happened during an event. This easy-to-install device also lets you capture images and record videos or wonderful travel moments without obstructing your view.
Then you can transfer the recorded media to a computer through a micro SD card. Installation is absolutely simple and takes just a couple of minutes.
All you need is to slide the micro SD card into the camera’s designated slot, place the camera atop your rearview mirror and use the flexible bands to keep it fixed in its place. Click here to watch an excellent instructional video on high definition mirror cam.
Additional features include auto ignition start, which lets the recording start automatically when you turn on the vehicle ignition, while the recording stops and the cam gets switched off when you turn off the ignition; exclusive night vision using infrared LEDs; a built-in LCD playback screen with screen shut off mode that enables distraction-free driving; and motion detection, among others.
As long as the screen size is concerned, there are some models offering screens as large as 7”, which can be a good option if you plan to watch most of your media directly on your HD mirror cam.
- 【10 Inch 1080P Advanced Streaming Media Mirror Dash Cam】 This mirror dash cam with the streaming media technology, and features the 10 inch sensitive IPS screen. All operations can be easily completed by swiping touchscreen. The High-grade silver decoration enhances the luxury of the car and also a Great Gift Choice.
While it certainly seems like an HD mirror cam comes with lots of must-have features, the question to ask is if it would actually add any value to your life in the long run.
If you have already started researching for a high definition mirror cam, perhaps you already know that there are lots of options available, in terms of different designs, sizes, and price points.
Coming to the first reason, protection is what drives most people to purchase such mirror cams.
With it, you can convert your rear view mirror instantly into a dash cam. If you too have a similar reason as your priority, you should always look for higher video quality. It would help to catch details like a person’s face or another car’s license plate in case of a mishap. For instance, an HD mirror cam model with HD video (1080p) would provide you with the highest detailed image possible.
Apart from this, your ideal model needs to have a long loop time, plenty of storage, and low-light capability.
Motion detection and LCD screen should be considered among “nice-to-haves.”
In short, it is always advisable to look for an HD mirror cam that leans highly toward top-notch performance and is available at a standard price. You may be tempted to compromise on the price factor but focusing on the lowest price possible could often mean sacrificing performance and reliability.
Best Installation Tutorials
|Video Length||Tutorial Title||Channel Name||Tutorial Link|
|7:37||HD Mirror Cam Review: First Look||Freakin' Reviews||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DovQa6PEh6I|
|9:09||The HD Mirror Cam. Pros, Cons, and all you need to know in this comprehensive review and demo.||NightFlyyer||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzmo9go0qrU|
|4:57||HD MIRROR CAM review: 6 months later||Eddie Smith||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khE_Cfz8FB4|
|10:30||Don't buy HD Mirror Camera! Here's why!||Cade Manning||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbGRpRIu5vM|
|19:02||How to Install a Dash Cam Mirror and Rear Camera to your Car - Part 1||LeesRandomVids||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBjn7JWDlTw&t=227s|
|15:22||HD Mirror Cam Review: As Seen on TV Car Camera||TV Stuff Reviews||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEcqH77jRbU|
|3:14||HD mirrorcam Instructional video||InvenTel TV||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkI62f-Qn4g|
|9:00||HD Car Mirror Dash Cam from HSN Honest Review||Rick Mammana||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsMkJD_pUz4|
|4:47||HD MIRROR CAM review||Eddie Smith||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPY21WS8vIo|
|7:31||1080p Rear View Mirror Dash Camera Full Demo||Renee Serrano||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ym9msdqQCQ|
|11:57||AUTO-VOX X1 Fullscreen LCD Rearview Mirror Dashcam REVIEW||dial2fast||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6jXtCtzBgM|
|9:31||Top 5 Best Dash Cameras for Car 2018||BEST REVIEWS||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsHH6c-YVg0|
|4:54||What Dashcam Should You Buy?||Techquickie||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoAjk8xgrig|
|19:44||Best 1080p Dashcam For Under $50 - G300 Rearview Mirror Camera||DavidSaganHD||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IdOSSJlISM|
|6:08||360 HD mirror dash cam camera installation. Subscribe, I'll subscribe back!||lotlifebmx||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odl8MQHqTos|
|3:04||HD Mirror Cam Video Clarity and un-boxing||Welding and stuff||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3w4ElbOR98|
|6:01||Best HD Mirror Cam Review 2018: Top 5 Best HD Mirror Cam - You Should Buy||Review Tube||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqVtjDBCCDk|
|5:41||HD MIRROR CAM.||James Evans||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FMzYQteCVk|
|17:09||EHOOM A10 Fullscreen LCD Rearview Mirror Front Rear Dashcam||dial2fast||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHxCyUK_C_U|
|10:12||5.0" 170° Wide Angle Full HD 1080P Dual Car Camera Front and Rear Mirror DASH CAMERA||Auto Repair Guys||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIMRuUaoh3U|
HD Mirror Cam Reviews
- ALL-IN-ONE: The Official HD Mirror Cam is the all-in-one rearview mirror digital dash cam. Easy to install, the 350° rotatable camera and 120° wide-angle lens captures it all, even inside the car! The automatic dash cam records 1080P HD video and crystal-clear audio for up to 14 hours, while the built-in 2.5 LCD Playback Screen provides Screen Shut Off mode for distraction-free driving
User reviews often debate if the camera is actually worth the money you invest. Most agree that it all comes down to your requirements and how well a choice you make.
There are some manufacturers, who claim their product to be equipped with an incredible battery life, while some others offer a product with more advanced features at a steeper price.
Users agree that it’s a good idea to have a device with the latest technologies. Keeping the extensive number of options available in the market in mind, most say it’s advisable to research for as many similar products as you can before taking your final pick. Here is a good read that offers reviews of the top 10 best HD mirror cams of 2018.
As with any tech gadget, your HD mirror cam can also trigger problems. Here are some of the most common problems that users often rant about and ways to mitigate them.
- The screen is displaying “Card Full”: With the loop recording function enabled, the camera should operate properly, and the oldest files should be automatically deleted. Set the length of each clip to 3 or 5 minutes to avoid the problem.
- The recording does not start after ignition is switched on: If the internal battery is excessively discharged, recording may fail to start. After switching on ignition, wait for some time to allow the battery to get recharged from the power adaptor and once it’s done, your recording should start.
HD Mirror Cam Price Points
We’re hesitant to publish too much information about price, but a standard device is generally pretty affordable.
Typical features like auto ignition on/off, 720p HD video, wide angle lens, exclusive night vision, loop recording (usually for 14 hours), and LCD playback screen. However, the price excludes the shipping and handling costs, which should set you back by another $10.
If you want your camera to have additional features like motion detection, G-sensor, parking monitor, and accident auto-detection, you will have to shell out more. Cameras with high-end features come with a steep price tag, which is much more than the standard price we’ve mentioned earlier.
Once you have decided to purchase an HD mirror cam, it is time to look at the features that can meet your requirements the best. While there are some standard features like auto recording, night vision etc, an array of high-end features is also available with some HD mirror cams. These include motion detection, image stabilization, optional date and time stamp, anti-glare dimming, built-in SD card, simultaneous recording, bigger display, and longer battery life, among others.
HD Mirror Cam Offer – A Good Idea to Buy?
Several online stores often run special discounts and deals on particular occasions, which would let you save some precious dollars while buying your HD mirror camera. There are also many as seen on TV models you can buy.
Even if they don’t slash the prices, these stores often lure buyers with free standard shipping and/or free handling. You too could use such instances to buy your HD mirror cam and save a couple of bucks in the process.
Pro Tip: If you’re considering one of these high-def car cameras, you might want to consider purchasing a car security camera, as well. According to DK Security, these security cameras are trending in popularity because they are an affordable way to protect your car from break-ins.
HD Mirror Camera – Pros And Cons
Over the last few years, the popularity of HD mirror cams has increased steadily. Here are some pros and cons of the device.
- The recorded footage can be immensely useful in case an accident occurs. With the camera starting recording as the ignition is switched on, any recording is generated in real-time with straight-to-the-point proof.
- Today, traffic accident fraud has become one of the most prevalent ones in the insurance landscape. Staged accidents have become increasingly popular amongst fraudsters. An HD mirror cam can demonstrate the innocence of honest drivers, and highlight the fraudster’s activities to the relevant authorities.
- Use of an HD mirror cam may not be lawful in some regions and may bring in ordinance troubles.
- Display feature in the cam may distract the driver, which might result in a safety hazard.