The 5 Best Hair Laser Combs [Ranked]
Top5Reviewed is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hair laser combs are laser hair-regrowth devices that work for male and female pattern baldness, manufacturers claim, by stimulating hair follicles.
More specifically, the lasers in these hair laser combs work by activating light-sensitive Chromophores in your cells.
These Chromophores are activated by laser light and then trigger and signal a bunch of different cellular processes to stimulate hair growth (Source).
As a hair-loss treatment, the hair laser combs are strong enough to reach deep into your scalp and follicles without actually causing your skin tissue to heat up, but still interact strongly with the Chromophores in your cells.
What does the research say?
You are probably skeptical, and I would be too, with all of the different hair growth fads on the market today.
Though one research study that was published in April 2009 (admittedly conducted by HairMax themselves) described users employing the HairMax laser comb to achieve a hair regrowth rate of 17 hairs per square inch after 26 weeks of use.
The researchers cautioned the results generally take around six months to become apparent and that laser combs to not work for everyone.
Our Top Pick: The NutraStim Hair Laser Comb
Our best advice is to check out the individual product pages and read the customer reviews of the individual products- you'll be able to get a sense of which products might work for you, and which are apparent frauds.
That said, let's take a look at five of the best-selling, hair-regrowth laser combs on the market today and see how they compare.
- REGROW YOUR HAIR AND REVERSE THINNING: The Ultima 9 Classic LaserComb targeted laser hair growth treatment delivers nourishing and therapeutic laser light energy directly to hair follicles to reverse hair thinning and promote hair growth and hair regrowth. HairMax laser devices are proven to regrow hair with an average increase in hair count of 129 additional new hairs per sq. inch.
- Hair Comb Massage For Women and Men: Vibrating function promotes blood circulation，professionally strengthen hair cells to improve existing hair. The electric hair comb massage brush is rechargeable. Besides, it doesn't make noise even though high frequency vibrations.
- Hair Comb Massage for Women and Men: Vibrating function promotes blood circulation，professionally strengthen hair cells to improve existing hair. The electric hair comb massage brush is rechargeable. Besides, it doesn't make noise even though high frequency vibrations.
- vinmax hair growth comb is a hairdressing apparatus for hair and scalp care.
- STIMULATES HAIR GROWTH & HAIR REGROWTH: HairMax is validated by 8 FDA clearances, 7 clinical studies, 14 international medical device licenses, and 6 published medical journals. The LaserBand 41 hair regrowth treatment for women and men delivers targeted therapeutic light energy directly to the scalp. It stimulates hair follicles, reverses thinning, and encourages hair regrowth. Experience new hair regrowth, increased density, healthier, and fuller-looking hair with the LaserBand 41.
HairMax Video Case Study
The 5 Best Hair Laser Combs
The professional grade, FDA approved laser hair growth brush from NutraStim is a high-quality option that uses twelve state-of-the-art low-level lasers to stimulate the scalp. Its users love that it is great at providing noticeable hair growth, but also note that it cannot be used if one has certain medical conditions.
It weighs about 1.5lb, comes with a one year manufacturer’s warranty and is designed and produced in the USA. This laser comb is a great option if you are looking for an expensive yet effective hair growth comb.
The customer reviews for the NutraStim Hair Laser Comb are overall quite positive. Most users reported seeing great results after a few months of use.
However one customer claimed to have received an improper warning from the device in the form of a pink light rather than red, and upon continued use wound up losing a significant amount of hair in the treated area. This customer was pleased to receive a refund but warns consumers to read the instructions carefully before use.
- Regenerates skin cells
- Usable for men and women
- Very expensive
- Not usable by everyone
The lightweight, battery-powered HairMaxLaserComb is a popular option that uses 7 medical lasers to stimulate hair growth. Its users are pleased that it is very easy, but also note that it works very slowly if at all. FDA approved, its patented teeth pull hair aside allowing the lasers to penetrate the scalp directly, it’s lightweight and portable and comes with a storage stand, travel pouch, and four AA batteries.
This laser hair growth device is a questionable option if you are looking for a safe laser hair comb.
The user ratings for the HairMax – LaserComb Advanced7 – Treatment for Thinning Hair are rather low. Most users report that the product didn’t work at all and many warn other potential customers not to purchase it. One particular customer claimed to have started losing hair faster after using the product. Some customers point out that if the hair loss is due to genetics then this product will not work.
Several users reported that their unit broke within a short amount of use. However, there are a handful of customers who stand by this product and state that it has helped them significantly.
- Highly portable
- Very safe
- Easy to use
- Does not include charger
- Does not promote a significant amount of hair growth
- Rather pricey
The rechargeable, lithium-ion-powered professional 12 laser therapy brush from HairMax is an expensive option that has an LCD screen which shows battery percentage and clocks treatment time. Its users are happy that it is good at thickening hair, but also note that it’s not very good at making hair grow back.
As its name suggests it uses twelve individual lasers to nourish the scalp and is FDA cleared. It’s about 10in long, weighs around 2lb, and comes with a high-end portable travel case. This laser comb is a reasonable option if you are looking for an easy-to-use yet slow working laser hair therapy comb.
The general review for the HairMax Professional 12 LaserComb is mixed. Many customers report that it works very well for them after a long period of use, while others who have used it for a long period of time claim to have seen no results. There is however a consensus that it has very limited effect on causing bald spots to grow hair back and is more useful for thickening and strengthening thinning hair.
One consumer reported experiencing increased hair loss for several weeks after using the product and was informed by the manufacturer that hair loss is normal within the first few weeks of use. This customer also noted that hair loss is a described side effect of the product.
- 12 high-powered lasers make it one of the more potent options available
- Easy to use and record therapy time
- Supports dual voltage for use outside the US
- High price-point
- Has limited effect on balding as it does not create hair follicles
- Everyone has different results – doesn’t work for all users
1. The Project E Beauty Hair Growth Comb Review
The cordless, 660nm RED Light hair growth brush by Project E Beauty is an affordable option that has two comprehensive light sources. Its users enjoy that it is very inexpensive, but also note that it takes a very long time to start working.
It has built-in vibration to stimulate the scalp, works straight from the box with an easy one-button interface, covers a large area and requires two AAA alkaline batteries. This portable vibration hair stimulating brush is a decent option if you are looking for an easy-to-use hair growth comb.
Customer reviews for the Project E Beauty Pro Portable 2in1 RED LED Light + Vibration Hair Growth Comb are mixed. Many users state that it functions as described although they report little or very slow results. A handful of customers reported that the product malfunctioned shortly after purchase or didn’t deliver any results at all, and a small minority said that various parts broke quite quickly.
One consumer claimed that in combination with other hair growth treatments they were able to triple the thickness of their hair. Although another customer claimed that they were unable to use the product due to an underlying medical condition.
- Low cost
- Straightforward operation
- Provides scalp massage
- Requires frequent battery replacement
- Covers large area but with less strength
- Slow results
Benefits of hair laser combs
- an increase in hair growth,
- decrease in hair fall out,
- increase in average hair amounts,
- increase in hair density,
- as well as better quality hair.