The 5 Best Gas Leak Detectors [Ranked]
Top5Reviewed is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Gas leak detectors are devices that enable engineers and other professional service personnel the ability to identify combustible gas leaks that occur in residential and commercial areas (Wikipedia).
They include semiconductor sensors that can rapidly and specifically determine the exact area of even tiny leaks.
These detectors are equipped to detect a variety of different combustible and noncombustible toxic gases, including benzene, ethylene oxide, gasoline, industrial solvents, jet fuel, lacquer, acetone, alcohol, hydrogen sulfide, propane, refrigerants and many others.
Typically these instruments have two main uses: identifying a leak and then also ensuring that there are no leaks.
Our Top Pick: Amprobe GSD600 Gas Leak Detector
- The Amprobe is able to detect gas leaks in closed piping systems
- A semiconductor sensor is equipped to detect propane & methane gas
- Includes a flexible stainless steel probe that lets you access those difficult spots
- A buzzer will sound and an LED display panel will light up to indicate the concentration and presence of of the detected gas
- Also provides automatic calibration when it boots up, helping to keep it accurate
Video Overview: The Amprobe
Let's compare some of the bets options:
- Our Top Pick: Amprobe GSD600 Gas Leak Detector
- Our Five Favorite Gas Leak Detectors
- What Customers Are Saying
- Features to Consider When Purchasing a Gas Leak Detector
- How Gas Leak Detectors Work
- How to Check for Gas Leaks
|Gas Leak Detectors||Our Rating (1-5)|
|The UEi Test Instruments Combustible Gas Leak Detector||4.2|
|The Amprobe GSD600 Gas Leak Detector||4.8|
|The Inficon 718-202-G1 Gas Mate Gas Leak Detector||4.7|
|The MASTECH MS6310 Combustible Gas Leak Detector||3.2|
Our Five Favorite Gas Leak Detectors
Featuring a quick response sensor and a long 18“gooseneck, this gas leak detector easily reaches hard to reach places.
The tip light in the sensor cap illuminates the search area, making this gas leak detector perfect for small business and home use. It can detect a number of combustible, non-combustible and toxic gases including: benzene, acetone, methane, propane, natural gas, gasoline etc.
Many customers we spoke with endorsed this gas leak detector because it is lightweight and really easy to use- helpful when you are in tight spaces trying to detect dangerous gases.
Featuring robust automatic calibration at start-up and a highly sensitive semiconductor sensor, the Amprobe GSD600 gas leak detector is extremely accurate.
A flexible stainless steel probe provide access to hard to reach areas and an audible buzzer and LED panel indicate the presence and concentration of gas.
This product is shipped in a box including a solid carrying case, instructions, and four 1.5V AA alkaline batteries. If you’re searching for a long-term solution the Amprobe GSD600 is the gas leak detector you are probably looking for.
Weighing only 2 pounds and being twice as sensitive as other gas leak detectors in the same price range, the Inficon Gas-mate is a great value buy.
It can detect natural gas, propane, butane, ethanol, isobutene, ammonia, ethane, and cyclopentane. Auto-zeroing default gas levels in the leak test area provide additional accuracy and make it ideal for pinpointing gas leaks in heating systems, gas valves, and pipelines.
In order to prove that Gas-Mate has the performance and durability for the job, the manufacturer offers a 3 year over-the-counter warranty.
The Mastech MS6310 is portable, easy to use and quickly detects gas leaks with its high sensitivity sensors. It detects a huge variety of gases including but not limited to gasoline, jet fuel, methane, ethane, propane, butane, carbon monoxide etc.
Featuring an alarm system that sounds when detected gas level is at 10% to 40% make it extremely useful and safe. Customers have left mixed reviews and only a tepid rating. For most users, it worked perfectly, but some had issues like unresponsive, bad readings and an unresponsive main knob, which was likely damaged in shipping.
Considering it’s probably the cheapest gas detector on the market, certain problems are expected to happen. The manufacturer recommends a thorough reading of the instruction manual before using this device in order to prevent any issues.
5.The Factory-Outlet MS6310 Digital Detector Tester
The Factory Outlet MS6310 is a pretty simple gas leak detector capable of quickly identifying and pinpointing gas leaks.
The main regulation wheel adjusts sensitivity and can be reached with one finger while holding the device which is really useful while working in tight and inaccessible areas. In order to properly work, 7 minute calibration in pure air is required which makes it a bit inefficient.
The Factory Outlet MS6310 comes with a comprehensive user manual and free shipping. If you’re low on budget and looking for a temporary solution for home use, this cheap gas leak detector is the one for you.
What Customers Are Saying
Features to Consider When Purchasing a Gas Leak Detector
- Does your gas leak detector come with integrated light? Is it a red light or is it a white light – and which would you prefer?
- Probe length & flexibility: the length of the included probe is also another thing that you might need to consider, though they are typically of a relatively standard length for the detectors that we have listed above.
- Parts per million sensitivity: make sure that you thoroughly evaluate the specs of the detector prior to purchase to ensure that you are getting a detector that has the requisite sensitivity for your particular needs. The sensitivity of the detector depends on the type of sensor at the tip of the wand.
- Automatic calibration: this helps to ensure the device is relatively ready to go right out of the box, and immediately capable of performing effective leak detection.
- Audio and visual warning systems: these detectors often come with mutable buzzers and visual displays that help you to identify a leak as you get closer to it – they also want to include the headphone jack for when you were working in areas where you wish to be silent.
- Auto power-off: gas leak detectors also have a feature that turns off the device after a set period of time, usually around 10 minutes so that the battery is conserved while on a work site.
- Warranty: before making a purchase, check with the company to ensure that they have a comprehensive warranty. If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, it’s usually a great convenience to have a warranty in place to help you to either get a refund or a replacement.
How Gas Leak Detectors Work
- These devices are designed to identify the existence of gases in a particular area and are typically classified as safety tools. There’s typically visual as well as an auditory alert system that buzzes when the presence of gas is detected.
- They are usually used to detect flammable, combustible, toxic gases as well as the depletion of oxygen in an environment. These gadgets use sophisticated sensors. The types of sensors they usually include: ultrasonic sensors, electrochemical gas sensors, semi-conductor sensors, and infrared point sensors.
- It is recommended that a challenge test is used every so often to ensure that the sensor is still operating accurately and effectively.
- Exposing the detector to a previously known concentration of a gas will help you to determine that the detector is still functioning and detecting accurately.
How to Check for Gas Leaks
We are a team of product researchers that specializes in assembling comprehensive buying guides. Our team has a variety of backgrounds, with a mixture of soft and hard sciences represented. Check out our About page to read more about our reviews and editorial process.