The 5 Best Expanded Metals [Ranked]
Expanded metal is a material that is extremely useful in construction. If you're unfamiliar, many of us come across it in our day-to-day lives without even realizing it.
Expanded metal is commonly used as grates, fences, or even on swinging porch doors. This sheet metal usually uses shapes such as diamonds, squares, or – less commonly – circles in its mesh design (Source).
This type of metal is made from sheet metal which can be made of stainless steel, hot rolled steel, cold rolled steel, aluminum, or a variety of other options as well (Source) to create stretched (or expanded) building metal.
The pattern of the mesh design is dependent on what is needed from the buyer and can either be staggered and or in straight lines (Source). The amount of open area in the metal depends on how much air, water, light, etc. is needed to pass through it.
When it comes to the expanded metal mesh that we are looking at today, customers had some interesting notes to make. First of all, many had unique ideas on what to use expanded form worksheets for, such as in a smoker.
They also warn that while expanded metal is strong, don’t overestimate it. Strong doesn’t mean invincible and you don’t want to push it past its limits.
Comparing The Options
|The Stanley National Hardware Steel Grid
|The Flattened Expanded Metal Sheet
|The Online Metal Supply Stainless Steel Perforated Sheet
|1/8" Mesh Holes
|The Stanley National Hardware Expanded Steel
|The Unpolished Aluminum Flat Expanded Sheet Metal
|Different Sizes Available
- Since expanded metal takes up a greater surface area while being less sheet metal, it is a less expensive option.
- Lightweight structure.
- If you need extra strength, this metal can be reinforced with glass, concrete, or more.
- Expanded metal is easy to make and no resources are wasted so it is a rather cheap option compared to other metals and construction materials.
- Compared to many metal products, expanded metal sheets are a good choice thanks to how strong it is and how much weight it can bear.
- If you use this on a ramp or walkway, the shape of these sheets allows for an anti-slip surface.