The 5 Best Cheese Making Kits [Ranked]
Top5Reviewed is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Cheese making kits enable you to create (primarily soft) cheeses at home (Source). They typically include all of the necessary ingredients, minus the milk and some of the hardware (pots, pans, thermometer).
Great as starter kits, buyers tell us that once they get going creating cheese they begin to purchase the kit's ingredients separately, in bulk, to experiment more deeply (Source).
The Gardener's Supply cheese kit can produce hard cheese- though you'll have to separately purchase cheese wax.
Popular soft cheeses you can create with all of the kits include: Mozzarella, Goat Cheese, Queso Blanco, Chevre, Marscapone, Queso Fresco, and Ricotta (more recipes here).
You'll be able to make multiple batches of cheese using these kits. For example, the Ricki's cheese-making kit has enough ingredients for around 30 batches of cheese, with each batch generating approximately 1 lb. of cheese. So if you make one batch of cheese a week, it'll last you half a year.
Our Top Pick: The Standing Stone Cheese Kit
- Our Basic (Well, Not-So-Basic) kit contains all the ingredients (except the dairy products) you need to make the following Fresh Delicious Cheeses: Mozzarella, Chevre, Goat Cheese, Queso Blanco, Queso Fresco, Mascarpone and Ricotta.
The U.S. made, Standing Stone cheese kit enables you to create Chevre, Mozzarella, Butter, Goat Cheese, Queso Fresco, Queso Blanco, Ricotta and Marscapone.
If you want to make preservative-free, Non-GMO cheese, this is the way to do it. They advise you can use goat, cow, sheep or store-bought milk.
When it comes to goat or chevre cheese- you'll have to buy buttermilk and use that as the culture.
It doesn't include a thermometer, so make sure you have one. Though they also produce an advanced kit that ships with instructional DVDs, seasonal spices and a thermometer.
- Our Top Pick: The Standing Stone Cheese Kit
- Comparing Them
- Best Cheese Making Kits For 2021
- 1. The Standing Stone Farms Beginner Cheese Making Kit Review
- 2. The New England Cheese Supply Kit Review
- 3. The Gardener’s Cheese Making Kit Review
- 4. The Ricki’s Basic Cheese Making Kit Review
- 5. The Grow and Make Artisanal Cheese Making Kit Review
- What Are Buyers Saying?
- Final Tips
|Cheese Making Kits||Our Rating||Price ($)|
|The Standing Stone Farms Beginner Cheese Making Kit||4.5||$|
|The New England Cheese Supply Kit||4.2||$|
|The Gardener's Cheese Making Kit||4.4||$$|
|The Ricki's Basic Cheese Making Kit||3.7||$|
|The Grow and Make Artisanal Cheese Making Kit||3.1||$$|