The 5 Best Cantilever Umbrellas [Ranked]
Top5Reviewed is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
In this post, we examine five of the best-selling cantilever umbrellas. If you are sick of getting scorched in the summer and need some shade, read on!
(Scroll down below the fold for individual video reviews.)
What is a Cantilever Umbrella?
Unlike umbrellas that stand on top of, or sit in the middle of a picnic table, the cantilever or offset umbrella is suspended over the area in which you want shade.
This design makes it more versatile because it can be moved wherever you desire shade (Source).
How do they work?
A cantilever, in engineering terms, is a system that allows for structures to hang without external supports or bracing. In the case of these umbrellas, the base and the pole act as the primary support for the umbrella (Source).
When looking for a patio umbrella like this, buyers suggest one that tilts and rotates for greater versatility. In addition, since most of these umbrellas are supported by a base, it’s recommended you buy extra weights such as sandbags or concrete blocks to add stability and lessen the chance it will tip over (Source).
- What is a Cantilever Umbrella?
- How do they work?
- Comparing The Options For 2021
- How Do They Compare
- Best Patio Umbrellas For 2021
- 1. The Abba Patio 11-Feet Offset Cantilever Umbrella Review
- 2. The Sundale Outdoor 10 Feet Aluminum Patio Umbrella Review
- 3. The Le Papillon 10 ft Cantilever Patio Umbrella Review
- 4. The AMT Deluxe Adjustable Offset Cantilever Patio Umbrella Review
- 5. The COBANA 10 Feet Cantilever Freestanding Patio Umbrella Review
- The Importance of Sun Shade
Comparing The Options For 2021
- 11 foot aluminum offset hanging umbrella with powder-coat frame finish.
- The canopy size of this patio umbrella is 9' X 9' , unique double-top canopy design for commercial and residential use
- Convenient All-Purpose Patio Umbrella: Make your outdoor space comfortable and fun to use with our high-quality standing umbrella. The 10 ft offset umbrella provides a wide range of shade and protection, perfect for backyards, picnic tables and even restaurants.
- Convenient All-Purpose Patio Umbrella: The 10 ft diameter canopy provides a wide range of shade and protection, perfect for backyards, picnic tables and even restaurants.
- Classic High-End Patio Umbrella: Large and opulent, our offset umbrella complements your outdoor space with its wide arching canopy and elegant iron framework. The modern design was created to fit seamlessly in areas such as outdoor seating spaces for office buildings, restaurant and commercial businesses.
How Do They Compare
Here we take a look at 5 cantilever umbrellas that should offer good value for the price.
- The Cobana 10’ Cantilever Freestanding Patio umbrella is a 10-foot wide umbrella that’s water resistant and offers UV protection from harmful sun rays. This model features a hand crank for easy opening and closing. Users say this cantilever umbrella is easy to set up, but some suggest the color fades too quickly.
- The AMT Deluxe Adjustable Offset Cantilever Patio Umbrella, like the Cobana is, a 10-foot umbrella that can be tilted in a variety of angles. As with many cantilever umbrellas, the manufacturer recommends securing the base with weights to maintain stability. Although users liked the ease with which it went together, some said the lack of stability — even with weights — was an issue.
- Next up is the Le Papillon 10-foot Cantilever Umbrella, which features full 360˚rotation and fabric that’s fade resistant and offers up to 98% UV protection. In addition, the manufacturer says the base doesn’t require weights to make the unit stable. This umbrella features what the manufacturer calls an “Easy Open Lift System” which is said to be easier to use than a crank by opening and adjusting with one motion, with which most users agreed.
- The Sundale Outdoor 10-foot Offset Patio Umbrella is a cantilever umbrella with a durable polyester canopy that’s both weather and UV resistant. This one also uses a crank mechanism to put up and take down and features steel ribbing and vents making the umbrella more sturdy and less likely to blow over during high winds. Like other cantilever umbrellas, this one performs better with weights on the base, which some buyers didn’t care for.
- Last up is the Abba Patio 11-foot Offset Outdoor Patio Hanging Umbrella opens and closes easily thanks to the crank system. Like the others, it’s recommended you add weights to the base to keep the umbrella from tipping over, but you can also bolt it to your deck if you choose. Although buyers liked how easy this was to set up, some said that the primary support pole snapped in only moderate wind speeds.
Best Patio Umbrellas For 2021
Ease Of Use
If you’re looking for a top-rated cantilever umbrella, you might want to consider the Abba Patio 11’ outdoor patio hanging umbrella. Users love the quality of this offset umbrella, but do complain about the lack of rotation mechanism.
According to the manufacturer, this 11-feet offset cantilever umbrella features a strong pole made of aluminum with a cross base that provides firmness. Another useful feature is a fade-resistant fabric that is said to keep the color well and offer 98% UV protection. The umbrella is available in red and tan color. This item might be a good choice if you have large patio dining sets that you want to cover with a patio umbrella.
In general, buyers have a very favorable opinion of the Abba Patio outdoor cantilever umbrella. They agree that it is well-made, sturdy and that it holds up well in windy weather. Users conclude that it is made of high-quality materials and that it has no plastic parts like many of the cheaper inferior product on the market do.
However, purchasers do complain about the fact that the umbrella doesn’t rotate at the base.
Ease Of Use
If you are looking for a cantilever umbrella, you might want to consider the Sundale 10-feet aluminum offset patio umbrella. Users like the usefulness of this offset patio umbrella, but do complain about poor build quality.
This product is made with 10-feet canopy and tilt system which is said to provide enough coverage to shade your patio furniture. As the manufacturer boasts, it is made of a durable polyester material that is highly waterproof and UV-resistant. You can choose between 11 colors. This item could be a solid choice for hanging over outdoor dining tables, conversation seating, or pool or spa areas.
Users are not unanimous when it comes to the Sundale outdoor offset patio umbrella with crank. Many agree that it is sturdy and easy to set up. Users appreciate that the umbrella is big enough to shade a big area.
However, many buyers complain of terrible color fading after only several weeks of use. Plus, a lot of purchasers state that this cantilever umbrella is very unstable and requires an extremely heavy weight to keep it up. As they add, it cannot tolerate even the slightest wind.
Ease Of Use
The Le Papillon cantilever umbrella could be a solid option if you want to be kept cool and comfortable from hot sun and UV rays. Users love the sturdiness of this patio umbrella, but some complain that the crank mechanism doesn’t work.
This product, it is claimed, features 360-degree rotation, easy open lift system and simple slider mechanism that makes it easy to crank to the desired angle. As the manufacturer boasts, the umbrella features a durable and weather resistant design – 1.9″ high-quality stand pole and 8 sturdy steel ribs with coffee rust-free powder coated finish. It is available in 4 colors: beige, blue, green and red. This item might be a solid choice for individuals who want to enjoy their time in any outdoor area with all-day shade.
The general user consensus concerning the Le Papillon 10-ft outdoor offset patio umbrella is that it is well-made, sturdy and stable. Purchasers appreciate that it is easy to set up and adjust.
However, some buyers share that their item won’t stay open but slowly drift back down.
Ease Of Use
The AMT deluxe adjustable offset cantilever is a solid option for those who want a sleekly designed model. Users like the sturdiness of this umbrella, but some complain about the stand.
This product features a 1.8’’ powder coated steel pole and 8 steel ribs construction. It is said to provide high sunlight resistance. The umbrella comes in two colors: coffee and beige. This product might be a solid option if you are looking for a parasol that will provide more shade on hot days than a standard market table umbrella.
The general user consensus concerning the AMT hanging 10′ patio umbrella is that it is sturdy and strong enough for winds. They appreciate that it is easy to assemble.
However, many buyers wish it came with a stronger and heavier stand. As they explain, you need to purchase detachable umbrella base weight bags unless you plan to bolt it to your deck.
Ease Of Use
The COBANA 10′ cantilever freestanding patio umbrella is a solid option for someone who wants an umbrella that will easily shade a table and chair set in their yard. Users like the practicality of this cantilever umbrella, but do complain of significant color fading.
This 10-feet diameter offset umbrella is said to be made of waterproof polyester material and rust-free powder coated aluminum frame. According to the manufacturer, the steel bottom frame and 8 steel ribs construction keep the umbrella sturdy in place. It is available in 5 colors. This item seems like a solid choice if you want an offset umbrella with air vented top that provides 10 feet of sun protection.
There are mixed reviews concerning the COBANA freestanding hanging outdoor umbrella. Users agree that it is sturdy, well-made, easy to put together and easily maneuverable.
However, many buyers complain that it totally faded after one month. Some online reviewers share that something has to be put on the legs of the base to keep the parasol from falling over. They add that the pole is not made to go in a normal umbrella base, but requires a special base weight.
The Importance of Sun Shade
Staying in the shade does not only make it easier to bear the warm season, it also safeguards you against harmful sunlight. According to the Environmental Working Group’s recent report that is based on a study of 1,700 SPF (Sun Protection Factor) products, including moisturizers, sunscreens, and lip balms, 80% provided "inferior sun protection."
This means that applying a sunscreen which has an SPF rating before going outside on a sunny day may not give you sufficient protection from sun damage and other health-related risks.
Some Old Favorites
|Cantilever Umbrellas||Our Rating||Price ($)|
|The Abba Patio 11-Feet Offset Cantilever Umbrella||4.4||$$$|
|The Sundale Outdoor 10 Feet Aluminum Patio Umbrella||3.3||$|
|The Le Papillon 10 ft Cantilever Patio Umbrella||4.3||$$|
|The AMT Deluxe Adjustable Offset Cantilever Patio Umbrella||3.6||$|
|The COBANA 10 Feet Cantilever Freestanding Patio Umbrella||3.2||$$|
What Size Patio Umbrella Should I Buy?
There are several factors that decide the size of the umbrella. It depends on the space you need, the budget you have, and the available space you have. All these things must be taken into account when purchasing an umbrella. If you choose an oversized umbrella, it will be overwhelming and will throw off your outdoor arrangement balance.
Typically, your umbrella should extend over a dining table by at least two feet on each of its sides. In case you have a four-foot rounded table, you'll want an umbrella that measures 8 feet in diameter. Here you can find some simple solutions:
- Table = 30-36 inches — Umbrella = 6-8 feet
- Table = 38-48 inches — Umbrella =9-11 feet
- Table = 54-60 inches — Umbrella 11 feet or larger
What about the Base?
Among the most important factors is the base of the umbrella. If its base isn’t heavy enough, the umbrella will fly in the wind. Here are some recommendations on umbrella base weight:
- 20 lb. Base – This base is used for smaller table umbrellas, and is suitable for 6′ table umbrellas only.
- 30 lb Base – This base is used for 6.5′ table ones.
- 40 lb Base – The minimum weight for umbrellas measuring up to 4.5′. This base may be used for table umbrellas measuring up to 7.5′.
- 50 lb Base – This base can accommodate up to 7.5′ outdoor umbrellas. It can as well be used for umbrellas measuring up to 9′.
- 70+ lb Base – These ones are used for most umbrellas measuring up to 11′. In case you live in areas experiencing high winds, you should think of a commercial cantilever umbrella.
There are winds that can make chaos for a backyard party. Do you actually want to stand on your umbrella’s base every time there is a wind picking up? To avoid it, order a weighted patio umbrella base that will not move.