What Are Buyers Saying?
The first spy camera smoke detector we looked at was manufactured by Tangmi. It is a wireless option that is marketed as an IP network monitoring solution that can be connected to your tablet, smartphone or desktop computer- providing a covert, home surveillance solution.
It provides HD resolution-1920*1080 and 1280*720. It's an android and iPhone-compatible wireless spy camera that can run off of AC or battery power.
- Buyers are somewhat split about how long the battery will last, some saying that it worked for three hours, with the manufacturer saying that it can work for over five hours.
- If you purchase several spy smoke cams and connect them to one smartphone, you'll be able to add the different cameras to the app but it doesn't let you view all of the live video feed at the same time.
- It does include a motion sensor mode, though because it doesn't have night vision capabilities, it's best to use in a lit environment.
- Another reviewer told us that it can be connected to a LAN network utilizing a client access point and then itself accessed from an iPad, android or iPhone and from a traditional desktop computer.
The second hidden camera smoke detector option we examined manufactured by Aperfect.
It is a motion-activated option that works off of battery power that the manufacturer claims lasts 1.5 hours with a charging time of four hours.
Buyers were overall fairly impressed with this option, saying that it looks exactly like a real smoke detector. In addition, it provides high-resolution video recordings.
The third hidden camera spy detector we examined was the motion-activated Votecom. It's marketed as a covert and discreet way of conducting home surveillance, mounting on the walls and ceilings with screws.
The manufacturer says that it doesn't have a wide lens, which means that it will only video record what is directly in front of it.
It includes two different modes- one is video recording that is motion triggered and the other is continuous video recording, and it will generate video files every 10 minutes when it is in a continuous recording mode and every three minutes when it is in the motion activated recording mode.
As well, it features loop recording capabilities when it is in the continuous recording mode- this means that older files are deleted to make space for new video files. The manufacturers say that this discreet fake smoke detector provides wireless surveillance capabilities with a 78° field of view lens.
- One buyer describes purchasing it as a gift for a relative who was concerned that a houseguest was stealing from them.
- It doesn't work with an app so you'll have to remove the microSD card, then plug into the computer in order to see the video file.
- As well, since it needs to be charged pretty regularly, it's somewhat inconvenient to have to remove it from high ceiling locations to power it up again.
The fourth fake smoke detector camera we examined is the eDigitalDeals fake smoke detector camera. It includes a 3.7 mm pinhole lens with an integrated microphone to capture audio, functioning as a covert security camera. Interestingly, it will actually work as a smoke detector, though it is not a motion activated option.
The last smoke detector camera we examined is manufactured by EverTech. It is advertised as a hidden CCTV covert camera that is designed to look like an innocuous smoke detector in your home. It doesn't work at night, but it does function as both a smoke detector as well as a hidden camera.