The 5 Best Automatic Stock Waterers [Ranked]
Top5Reviewed is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Automatic stock waterers are easy-to-install watering solutions for all manner of livestock.
Whether you are hydrating horses or your rambunctious German Shepherds that require a rugged steel waterer, one of the 5 best-selling options we review below will certainly fit the bill.
Two holes on the back side of the waterer will allow it to be mounted to walls, vertical posts, wood fences, etc. Generally lag bolts and U-bolts are not supplied.
Our Top Pick: The Miller Automatic Waterer
The hose connector (usually purchased separately) will help supply and replenish the automatic stock waterer. Let's take a look at 5 of the best-selling automatic stock waterers on the market today.
Raising livestock requires plenty of work. An automatic stock waterer can reduce your work load considerably.
The Miller automatic stock waterer is a good option to consider when you shoping for an automatic waterer.
The waterer is made of durable metal that does not need any maintenance. Sturdy design makes it convenient to use and prevents dogs, horses, cattle or other animals from tipping it.
Another feature that makes this an effective purchase is the hose, which is easy fix and disconnect.
The Five Best Automatic Stock Waterers
Raising livestock requires plenty of work. An automatic stock waterer can reduce your work load considerably. The Miller automatic stock waterer is a good option to consider when you shoping for an automatic waterer. The waterer is made of durable metal that does not need any maintenance. Sturdy design makes it convenient to use and prevents dogs, horses, cattle or other animals from tipping it. Another feature that makes this an effective purchase is the hose, which is easy fix and disconnect.
- Can be connected to flex hose, garden hose or pipe easily
- Made of galvanized, heavy gauge and top quality steel
- No special training needed for using it.
- Lag or through bolts can be used to install it
- Can be fixed at any particular height
- The hose and waterer may not fit, if both are of same end type
- A few buyers complained that the float mechanism did not work well for them- leading to water overflow and leaking
- Prone to rusting after a few months of use
How to use the Miller 88SW
If you have cattle, horses or dogs, this 4 liter/1.05 gallon automatic stock waterer is a convenient way of reducing your watering workload. It has a large holding capacity of more than four liters. Maintenance is easy- all you need to do is use the drain plug to remove the water and give it a good scrubbing. Connecting it with a garden hose, flex hose or half inch pipe is pretty easy, too. Although it is not made of metal, it is constructed from heavy duty UV-protected nylon material.
- Holes provided in the back for easy mounting on vertical posts, wood fences or walls
- Made of top grade nylon, hence no issues of rusting
- Easy to clean due to the smooth finish and drain plug
- Bolts and lags are not provided. Hardware needs to be purchased separately
- Made of plastic, so its sturdiness with horses and cattle is an issue
The Little Giant steel automatic stock waterer is an all-purpose waterer, ideal for cattle, horses and other livestock. It measures 10 x 10.8 x 5.5 inches and weighs under 5 lbs. If you are looking for a waterer that does not require any elaborate installation, this is a good choice to consider. The waterer can be connected to a garden hose, flex hose or pipe. Since steel waterers are prone to rusting, they are generally not preferred for long-term use. But the Little Giant model is made of epoxy coated top quality steel that promises corrosion resistance.
- Installation is easy and no special set up training is needed
- Superior quality steel, which is nontoxic and rust proof
- Sturdy and can be used with all types of outside animals including hogs, cattle and horses
- Auto filling feature eliminates need to refill constantly
- No hardware provided for connecting hose or mounting the waterer- you'll need to purchase the hardware separately
- The size is smaller and no drain valve is included, so it is a little bit difficult to clean
Convenience and sturdiness are two important things you should look for when purchasing an automatic stock waterer. One user writes of purchasing it for her 3 German Sheperds who are incapable of chewing it up or otherwise mangling it. This Automatic Farm Grade Stainless steel waterer is an ideal option for dog and farm owners alike who raise outside animals including goats, cattle, horses, and sheep. It includes an adjustable float and is easy to install at any height of your choice. The material, which is 304 stainless steel, is quite strong and has good corrosion resistance. Reasonably priced, this the pet and stock waterer has a safe operating pressure between 20 and 50 psi.
- Float is easy to adjust and can be connected to right or left side, as required
- The smooth stainless steel finish makes it easy to clean
- Is not prone to leaking
- Flip up float or valve enables easy draining and cleaning during hot and cold weather
- No standard attachment for hose provided
- Need to buy bolts and other things necessary for mounting the waterer
For taking care of watering needs of your horses, cattle and other livestock, a large capacity waterer is essential. This 4 liter automatic stock waterer is a good option to consider, as it can hold more than 1 gallon of water easily. Installation and cleaning are easy. The waterer is made of top grade UV- protected nylon so using it outdoors on fences, walls or other does not damage the material. The drain is easy to clean- you just unscrew the plug and clean the waterer of dirt, algae and leaves.
- Quality product and is durable- can be used for a long time
- O-ring and drain plug enable a leak proof surface
- Cleaning is easy, as the plug can be removed from outside without putting hands in the water
- To fill the waterer to its full capacity, you need to hold the float down forcibly
- Some users note that the plastic float is susceptible to malfunction causing water to overflow
Customer buying tips
- While many people buy these watering devices for their horses and other large animals, many homeowners who live on large plots of land purchased them for their dogs.
- One issue that people sometimes have when installing these waterers is that connecting it to a hose can be a bit of a hassle- you will often have to purchase a garden hose connector and do some measuring beforehand to ensure that it's a fit.
- There is a bit of a debate sometimes between purchasing a stainless steel or a reinforced plastic stock waterer. Generally steel is more prone to rust, while the UV-protected plastic alternatives are considered a bit more durable, if not as attractive.
- Some users reinforce the hose connection with Teflon tape to ensure that there is no leaking.
- Before you order, make sure that you check whether mounting equipment is included and whether the manufacturer has specified the sort of hose connector that best works with the stock waterer you've chosen.
- Select the largest option available if you intend to use the automatic stock waterer for a horse as opposed to a smaller alternative for dogs.
- While they will auto-fill, you will still need to clean out the waterer occasionally as it will get clogged with leaves, dirt as well as the slobber from animals drinking at it.
- Some of the waterers do come with drains which means that it is a bit easier to clean.
- If your animal water does not arrive with all of the necessary tools to attach it, consider taking it down to the hardware store with you to ensure that people there can help you figure out what you need to install it.
- Make sure that you are clear about the return process should you need to exchange your item in the case that it doesn't meet your expectations.