The 5 Best Automatic Closing Toilet Seats [Ranked]
Top5Reviewed is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Stop touching that gross toilet seat! It's estimated that there are 50 disgusting bacteria per square inch on your bathroom's toilet seat.
Every time you grip the lid and manually shut it you are touching some really fetid stuff.
Plus your hands will slip on this skeevy grime and slam down, usually at 2 AM, waking your partner and enraging them.
Ugh! Who needs that?
Automatic closing toilet seats are a great way to modify your existing toilet to be more hygienic and easy to use.
Our Top Pick: The Kohler Auto Seat
- NO SLAMMING: Seat closes slowly and quietly with a tap to eliminate pinched fingers
One reviewer we spoke to said that so far this Kohler seat is sturdy and and easy to install.
If you experience the seat clips detaching or moving- but this can be fixed once you push the clip cover down. When you pop the clips up, the seat moves forward, it can easily be removed for cleaning.
The video below demonstrates how to install a Kohler Grip-Tight toilet seat:
Most of the automatic toilet seat closers we review below will either close automatically or with a light touch.
Some are mechanical, while others require an electrical outlet.
For pet owners, and parents of small children, these automatic closing seats prevent their 'pets' from falling in or drinking filthy toilet bowl water.
Let's take a look at 5 of the best-selling automatic toilet seat closers on the market.
- Our Top Pick: The Kohler Auto Seat
- Auto-Closing Toilet Seats Compared
- The Five Best Automatic Toilet Seats
- 1. The Lagute Automatic Toilet
- 2. The Flush Down Automatic Toilet Seat
- 3. The Kohler Quiet Close Toilet Seat
- 4. The Brondell Swash Bidet & Automatic Toilet Seat
- 5. The TOTO Automatic Toilet Seat
- Customer feedback & tips
Auto-Closing Toilet Seats Compared
- 👍【BASIC FUNCTIONS】- Automatic flushing: The seats are flushed automatically when you leave, enabling hands-free operation. Post-cleaning：female cleaning, pulsating cleaning, adjustable water pressure, sanitary filtered water. And including several adjustable functions: water pressure, water temperature, dryer temperature and heating seat.
- ✅ [TOTALLY HYGIENIC]: Posterior wash, Feminine wash, Pulsating wash, Adjustable water pressure, hygienic filtered water
- 【Air Purification】 The deodorizer uses a powerful air filter to effectively clean the air around the toilet. Inhale the air and pass the ionized carbon filter to eliminate unpleasant odors. Instant heating comfort: hot water heating technology, used to heat seats and water.
- NO SLAMMING: Seat closes slowly and quietly with a tap to eliminate pinched fingers
- Fits Elongated Toilet Bowls——WSSROGY Toilet Seat suitable for most standard elongated toilet seats. Please measure your toilet bowl to determine the size you need before ordering(See the dimension drawing on the left). Elongate toilet seat: 18.4×14.1 inches; Mounting hole distance 5.5 inches.
The Five Best Automatic Toilet Seats
Do you often fight with your family members for keeping up the toilet seat? The Lagute automatic toilet seat is 100% touch-free. It actually opens as you approach it! This drastically decreases germ spread in the home. It’s also relatively easy to clean the auto toilet seat. The seat does fit a wide range of bathroom sizes and shapes. For senior citizens, disabled individuals and small children this design is a good upgrade to consider if you want to keep things clean in the bathroom.
- Easy to install with the help of photo guide
- It can be slid off easily and removed for cleaning
- Multiple sensor control enables a pleasant user experience
- Fully automatic opening and closing of seat and lid
- Rechargeable Lithium ion battery helps in easy charging.
- The package also includes an EU charger
- The European plug in charger does not work with American power (it does come with an American charger, as well)
- The closing function will be disrupted if you place things over the seat top
For parents who constantly worry about their kids and pets playing in an open toilet, this Flush Down automatic toilet seat is a good solution. Once you flush, this auto toilet seat closer will mechanically close itself. With dimensions of 18.2 x 14.9 x 3.5 inches, it’s designed to fit most standard toilets with water tanks. The seat is fairly easy to set up. You do not need any tools to fix it to the seat. It is made of durable plastic. The automatic system helps to prevent accidental wetting, while using the toilet. You can even add an automatic toilet flusher for heightened bathroom convenience!
- Comes with slow close technology, which makes the lid and seat close automatically when you flush
- Fully mechanical hence you do not need batteries or tools for the set up
- Easy instruction manual with clear photo guide
- Size is compatible with standard toilets
- Easily displaced when a larger person sits on it
- A few users complain that the cord designed to open and close the seat is not designed well
Watch the installation video
If you are looking for a functional, affordable and sleek looking design, the K-4636 Quiet Close automatic toilet seat could be a smart selection. You just give the toilet seat a light touch and it closes quietly. While not totally automatic, it does dramatically decrease germ transfer. And seat-slamming will be a thing of the past. It is available in a wide range of colors including biscuit, almond, cashmere, black, grey white and more. The seat is relatively easy to install and clean. The bumpers grip tightly to hold the seat in place firmly, so it doesn’t shift too much even for heavier users.
- Compatible with a wide range of toilet designs
- Easy to install, remove and clean
- Solid polypropylene material enables resistance to peeling, chipping, fading and staining
- The quiet close technology prevents the seat from noisily slamming when closing
- Ergonomic design that most users report is pretty comfortable
- Some users report the shape to be inconvenient to use (admittedly pretty subjective)
- Some users report that the bolts used to fix the seat are not sturdy enough
Watch it in action!
This 24 x 19 x 8 inches Brondell Swash automatic-closing toilet seat & bidet is a more advanced and expensive option than the others we have reviewed. It does include a bidet, a heated seat and a wireless controller, in addition to an automatic toilet closer. For those who are used to toilet paper hygiene, the concept of bidet cleansing may be new and surprising. Washing with water, though, is thought to be a more refreshing and effective way to clean. For people with arthritis and senior citizens this bidet design seat is a good option to consider.
- Installation is easy and takes less than 60 minutes
- Made of durable and high quality material
- Dual nozzles for washing, with good temperature and pressure adjustments
- Eco mode helps to save power
- The bidet design may be unorthodox for some
- The opening in the toilet seat is too small to fit larger individuals comfortably
- Rewarming bidet water after a flush takes some time
Watch the Brondell get installed
This 23.5 x 20.5 x 9 inch TOTO automatic toilet & bidet features a soft-closing lid and a wireless controller. Not just an automatic toilet seat closer, it is a bidet as well. Many users completely give up on using toilet paper once they begin using bidets. It is a bit more expensive than some of the other options – but it does pack in some quality features and has received the best feedback from its user base.
- Lets you eliminate toilet paper from your life
- Warm seat is very comfortable, especially in winter months
- Convenient controls for water volume, temperature, bidet arm and spray pressure
- Smart energy feature prevents unnecessary heating, when the seat is not in use
- Automatic dryer and deodorizer keeps you fresh and dry
- You may need a professional to install it
- A bit larger than some users expected
- Vent blower can stay on a little too long and can be considered a little noisy
Watch the TOTO toilet seat get installed
Customer feedback & tips
- People that have purchased an automatic toilet lid closer were pleasantly surprised at how little they now have to touch their toilet seats lids.
- Some automatically closing toilet seats will actually open for you as well if they are fitted with a sensor- but you can't use these on portable toilets, unfortunately
- Some of the automatic toilet seat closers are actually bidet units that are installed and come with all of the advanced technological features of a modern bidet, many of them influenced by Japanese society.
- Many men report that their wives and spouses are much happier with them because they are no longer leaving the toilet lid open.
- Many users were unaware that they could modify their existing toilets with bidet and auto closing functionality.
- While most of the units are relatively easy to install, depending on your toilet and your own skill level, it may make sense to hire a professional to get the job done right.
- One user has written regarding the Flush Down automatic toilet seat closer that it effectively keeps her cat from drinking toilet water.
- Some users write that for 300+ lbs individuals the automatic toilet seat closers can be inadequate for that amount of weight.
- If you are considering purchasing an auto medic toilet seats closer, performs some initial measurements, research the product a bit, check out some YouTube explainer videos and be familiar with the warranty and return options.
- Movies can be hygienic and truly functional bathroom modifications designed to improve the quality and health of you and your family's life.
We are a team of product researchers that specializes in assembling comprehensive buying guides. Our team has a variety of backgrounds, with a mixture of soft and hard sciences represented. Check out our About page to read more about our reviews and editorial process.