The 5 Best Acrylic Glass Sheets [Ranked]
In this post we examine 5 of the best-selling acrylic sheets online. These Polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA) panels are also known as acrylic or acrylic glass (Source).
This specialized plastic paneling is prized as a lightweight and shatter-resistant alternative to glass. You can even get it cut to size from your local Home Depot, whether you're customizing a kitchen backsplash or outfitting your new aquarium.
Acrylic is derived from acrylic acid, an organic compound that is produced from propylene, a product of ethylene and gasoline. This plastic is pressed into acrylic sheets for use – usually – in the place of glass (Source).
Acrylic Sheet Benefits
Acrylic is popular replacement for glass because it is particularly strong and durable. So, it’s less likely to shatter than glass. However, it is also extremely lightweight. Anyone who has ever had to move any large piece of glass can attest how much easier it is to transport acrylic (Source).
Finally, the cost to make colored and translucent acrylic sheets is far lower than the production cost of glass. This means that the price is lower for these acrylic sheets short term and long term since they won’t need to be replaced as quickly as glass or wood (Source).
One of the best tips that current users give to new customers is to remember that you can use colored acrylic sheets as well as clear plexiglass paneling for extra flair.
Many also suggest that you be ready to sand the edges a bit if necessary as not all acrylic sheets have edges that are perfectly smooth.
Best Acrylic Sheets For 2019
Benefits And Uses Of Acrylic Sheets
There are many ways that acrylic sheets are used. They are often used architecturally instead of glass, especially in commercial and residential buildings such as businesses, stores, common houses, and even greenhouses (Source).
- Use it for a kitchen backsplash – acrylic sheets are extremely easy to clean and don’t require any grout, so it’ll be attractive and simple.
- Replace glass in cabinets with clear plexiglass sheets to protect your cabinets from falling dishes and damage.
- As picture frames – this way, when your pictures fall, you don’t have any issues with shattered glass.
- Furniture – replacing the glass in your coffee table with acrylic sheets is a good way to make sure it’s more durable and lighter when you need to move it.
- Fish tank owners often use it with their aquariums as a glass replacement.
Thanks to its durability, many medical devices also opt to use clear plexiglass sheets instead of glass in their construction.